Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

does anyone use ankle wraps to stabilize floppy ankles?

Posted by Ellen J. on 4/15/03 at 14:47 (116204)

Sorry to keep posting so many questions. I'm full of them today, I guess.
I have very flexible ankles that are not all that stable. In fact, when I used to run (back when my feet acted normal), I would twist my ankles during the first few steps when I started out for a run.. I don't know if floppy ankles contributed to the P.F. but my question is: Does anyone use those drug store ankle wraps and do they work? Most people use them to help stabilize the ankle for sprains, I guess. I'm thinking of trying some and am not sure which kind to buy.
Ellen J.

Re: does anyone use ankle wraps to stabilize floppy ankles?

Necee on 4/15/03 at 22:49 (116248)

Yes Ellen, I have used those elastic ankle braces, the kind you can buy at WalMart. I have found that it helps my ankle. I don't wear it every day though, I understand that isn't a good idea, it can allow your ankle to become weaker.

All the best to you.

Happy trails...**==
Necee

Kathy G on 4/16/03 at 08:55 (116272)

Ellen,

My husband has trouble with weak ankles and he does exercises while wearing ankle weights in order to strengthen them. Maybe that would help you, too. I don't know about those ankle supports although many athletes wear them. I wore one after I got rid of my aircast when I sprained my ankle.

Keep on asking those questions! Hopefully someone will have the answer!

Ellen J. on 4/16/03 at 09:22 (116281)

Thanks--I'm glad to know ahead of time that it can cause the ankle to get weaker. I didn't know that, so I'll be careful not to use it too often if I do try it.
Ellen

Ellen J. on 4/16/03 at 09:25 (116283)

Hi Kathy,
Does your husband do balancing exercises for his ankles? I've heard that those can strengthen the ankles but each time I try to do them it makes my feet flare up like crazy. Maybe in that case it makes sense to start while wearing an ankle wrap and then remove it after getting better balance.
If you get a chance I would be interested to hear what your husband does to strengthen the ankles.
Ellen

Michael C on 4/16/03 at 19:04 (116347)

Ellen, you can also try a thick foam cushion to perform your balance exercises on. In addition to improving your balance, you will also be strengthening your ankles. Use both feet at first until you feel comfortable or feel strong enough to perform single leg exercises.

Good luck and best wishes.

Ellen J. on 4/16/03 at 19:12 (116350)

Hi Michael,
That is a great idea, and I'll try it. I know my feet would love the cushioning too! Another thing I've heard is that you can stand in a doorway and touch the door frame to help until you get better balance. I might try the combination and put the foam in the doorway.
Thanks,
Ellen