Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good news for PF sufferers with very high arches

Posted by Andy O on 4/15/03 at 23:10 (116250)

I recently tried Birkenstock shoes as an aide for my PF condition. Although I found two of their open heeled shoes - the Fuldas and Rhines - which are suitable for my very high arches; none of their normal shoes have a high enough arch.
But I recently found one of their inserts - the Birko Balance inserts - is designed for people with very high arches. I bought a pair and find they are similar in effect to the Fuldas that I like so much.
These just might become my main inserts now.
My PF is now mostly in remission.

Re: Good news for PF sufferers with very high arches

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/03 at 08:10 (116268)

I love my Fuldas! They really feel great for those of us with a certain foot shape, don't they.

As much as I like my Fuldas, I should mention to people here that I don't think there is any one treatment that can quickly lead to remission of PF for most PF sufferers. There is no 'magic bullet', but as you said, Fuldas can be a helpful aid. They have helped me, you, and perhaps nobody else who reads these boards, since I haven't seen any other posts about them except by you and me.

My Fuldas were very helpful over the nine months that it took for my PF to heal. They are also helpful presently since I am having a slight setback in my PF.

Carole C

Bev on 4/16/03 at 09:52 (116285)

Carole, What are Fuldas? Are they a Birkenstock?

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/03 at 10:51 (116289)

Yes, Bev. The Tatami line of Birkenstocks has several footbeds, and one of them is the high arch footbed. Only a few of the Tatami styles have it. Among those are the Fulda, the Amsterdam, and the Rhine.

The Fulda looks a lot like an Arizona, with two wide straps across the foot. However, the footbed is shaped slightly differently and seems to fit the shape of my foot better.

Here's a photo of them:

http://www.birkenstock.com/styles/929533/manager=ProdDisplay&prodType=20o46o76o106&user_id=0&store_id=0&page=2&cat=san

The URL is awfully long. If the whole URL isn't blue and 'clickable', you might have to copy and paste it into your browser.

Carole C