Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Very disgusted, help please!

Posted by Mary Y on 4/16/03 at 04:12 (116261)

I just went to see an orthopedist. He has done a fellowship in foot and ankle care. I showed him my NCV test that indicated tarsal tunnel syndrome. He looked at both feet and both ankles and stated that I have achilles tendonitis and not tarsal tunnel syndrome. He told me to do the runners stretch and the stretch where you stand on a step. He also told me to use gel heel cups. He stated that my leather orthotics are not good. I paid $286.00 out of pocket for them!!

He said if I am walking on carpet, it is okay for me to be barefooted.

I am really disgusted now and don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Re: Very disgusted, help please!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/03 at 13:16 (116307)

I'm not a doctor, but another Achilles tendonitis (and PF) sufferer.

My suggestions are:

NEVER go barefoot, not even on carpet.

NEVER do the runner's stretch or the stretch where you stand on a step; they will really mess up your Achilles tendon. Do lots of gentle stretching, like Julie's Yoga stretches (click on the word Yoga for a description of them).

Ice your feet.

Throw away the gel heel cups.

If your orthotics seem to help, wear them (or Birkenstock Arizonas) all the time, and wear shower shoes in the shower.

Rest your feet as much as you can.

FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR OR PODIATRIST! I believe this ortho is leading you down the wrong path if you wish to heal. You are right to question what he is saying. You need to find a better foot professional.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/03 at 13:19 (116309)

P.S., in my other post I am assuming that this ortho is right and you have Achilles tendonitis, which I have (along with PF) and which I feel I have learned about the hard way. I don't know ANYTHING about Tarsal Tunnel.

You might want to ask the same question on the Tarsal Tunnel message board on this site.

Carole

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/16/03 at 14:32 (116321)

Mary:
Here is the important thing to understand about TTS and NCV testing.

NCV testing is NOT VERY SENSITIVE for TTS. In other words, it will miss a lot of cases. On the other hand (or foot) NCV testing is VERY SELECTIVE for TTS. In other words, if the NCV is positive for TTS then the likelihood that TTS is present is very high.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/03 at 16:49 (116336)

Sounds like you and I agree about this ortho's opinions, Dr. Ed.

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/16/03 at 18:14 (116341)

Yeah, me too... A good podiatrist would definitely be a better choice than that ortho. :D

Sharon

BrianG on 4/16/03 at 19:58 (116355)

Hi Mary,

You can be very happy that this doctor did not try to push surgery! I'd look for another opinion, but not necessarily someone who is too eager to cut. If thats your decision, please do your homework. Many heel surgerys go bad every year!!!

Regards
BrianG, not a doc

Mary Y on 4/17/03 at 01:29 (116384)

Hi all,

Thank you all for your wonderful advice and support! I would really be lost without you all! I will certainly drop this orthopedist and try the yoga stretches mentioned on this thread. Thanks again everyone.