Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a visit from one of "our soldiers"...

Posted by Suzanne D on 4/16/03 at 21:19 (116363)

Today my class had a special treat: a surprise visit from one of the soldiers we wrote to this year. He is not the father of one of my students, but a 'stranger' who took the time to come to see us. He seemed shy at first, but the exhuberance of my class soon had him smiling from ear to ear! He said he didn't know if he would be allowed to come to the room and was amazed at the friendliness of the office staff who brought him right to meet us. Of course I had talked to everybody about our letters and packages, and so they knew the situation as soon as he said who he had come to see.

One of the children said, 'He's really real!' and they lined up to shake his hand, hug him, have him sign a cast on one girl's arm, and give him hastily made notes and pictures. He said the pledge of allegiance with us, and that was special. It was heartwarming for all of us. I was able to show him a picture of my daughter's wedding where I used the beautiful cloth he sent to me to cover the table on which was placed the unity candle. The cloth was the exact color of the bridesmaid dresses, which was uncanny.

Several of you had shown an interest in our project, and I wanted to tell you about this special visit. Our correspondence with the soldiers has been a great learning experience for all involved and has enriched my life as well. It has been another example of how small deeds CAN make a difference. **==

Thanks for your interest!
Suzanne :)

Re: a visit from one of "our soldiers"...

Sharon W on 4/16/03 at 21:22 (116366)

Suzanne,

What a wonderful story! Thank you!! You made my day... :D

Sharon

Suzanne D on 4/16/03 at 21:31 (116368)

Thank YOU, Sharon! You all have encouraged me so much by being interested in what I write about my class. You might be surprised at how many people just sort of raise their eyebrows and look bored when first grade teachers like me start talking...I have received more genuine interest in what I do everyday on this board than anywhere else!

You all are the best! >:D<

Necee on 4/16/03 at 22:40 (116372)

Oh Suzanne what a great story you shared!
Tears filled my eyes as I read your post. It is heartwarming to know that this soldier, who I'm sure has many things to do, would take the time and effort to come see you and those great kids. The events of that day will make a lasting impression.
God bless you Suzanne for making the effort to reach out to our troops in combat, and for teaching those children so much more than reading, writing and arithmetic.

God Bless America**==

Necee

Bev on 4/17/03 at 05:08 (116385)

Suzanne, How lovely that the soldier came to visit. That is so very special that he sent you a cloth to use at the wedding, how so very unique :) . You sure are one very special teacher, your students are really fortunate to have such a caring and dedicated person to be their teacher and friend. It takes such an exceptional person to be a teacher, so much patience and caring and compassion ,your students are really blessed to have you :) Have a great day at school today, some of our schools are closed due to an ice storm -ug. Bev

Suzanne D on 4/17/03 at 15:01 (116431)

Thank you very much, Necee and Bev! :'>

An ice storm, Bev... My gracious, just when we're thinking about spring! But then it is much cooler here today and has been raining most of the day. The weather, like our feet, is constantly surprising us, isn't it?!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/03 at 18:02 (116445)

And just to keep us on our toes, we had sunshine and record heat today! They say the storm will just graze northern Louisiana and won't make it down here.

marie on 4/17/03 at 20:57 (116461)

Suzanne,

What a way to end the story.....a happy ending. I hope you don't mind if I share this sweet story with my students. Some of them are going from graduation to the military careers. WOW!!!! What a kind soldier...but you know I bet your kids and their kindness impacted him. You're a great person to have intiated this project with your class. This will be something your first graders will never forget.

Thank you!

BrianG on 4/17/03 at 22:24 (116481)

Good deal, I'm glad the kids got to meet a real American hero, not some over paid ball player!! You did well Suzanne!!! :*)

BrianG

Suzanne D on 4/18/03 at 11:57 (116529)

I'm more than glad for you to share the story with your students, Marie! Please wish them the best from me. Any entering the military career have my admiration and prayers!

Suzanne D on 4/18/03 at 11:58 (116530)

Thanks, Brian! I agree: children need to understand who their REAL heroes are!