Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help! Recently diagnosed PF, doctor wants to give cortisone shot!

Posted by Cyndi T. on 4/18/03 at 00:00 (116487)

I would like to hear from others regarding their experience with cortisone shots. I have been limping for six weeks now. My PF was caused by overuse (running the marathon for the first time in my life at age 49!) I was under supervision of experienced trainers several months before the marathon, so it never occured to me that this would happen. For the last few weeks, I have been undergoing physical therapy, which has involved ultrasound, massage, electrical stimulation, and various light exercises (not weight bearing yet). I stretch at home, use ice and take Celebrex for inflammation. I still have heel pain off and on, though not while resting. I am seeing a podiatrist who was recommended in the 'rate your doctor' section of this site. However, he keeps talking about cortisone and surgery, even on my first visit. So many entries I have read on this site discuss the negative side of the shots, so I have been putting them off. I am thinking now that I will give it two more weeks and then consider the shot. This PF is very annoying!

Re: Help! Recently diagnosed PF, doctor wants to give cortisone shot!

Shell D on 4/18/03 at 09:06 (116508)

I have had several rounds of Cortisone shots for PF. They all worked for me, but generally only lasted for 2-4 months. I've also had surgery, with NO success, then most recently had ESWT and have never been happier! My feet are great now.
Good luck to you.

john h on 4/18/03 at 09:52 (116512)

My thoughts are shots are worth a try. I had two in each foot spaced about 1 year apart. They stopped the pain for about 4-5 days but then the pain returned. I have read of cases where some people never had the pain return. I have not read of any real damage caused by these shots. It is somewhat painful but I have had worse and it only lasted about 2-3 seconds so you should handle that. I prefer the shots from the side and you might have them spray the area with the freeze stuff prior to injection.

Sharon W on 4/18/03 at 12:10 (116533)

Cyndi,

It might be helpful to check out the thread, 'Cortisone Shot for TTS,' at the very bottom of this page.

Sharon

R C on 4/18/03 at 12:27 (116535)

I had three cortisone shots for PF over an 18 month period. The shots themselves were not unbearably painful. There was soreness in the injection site for a couple days the third time. There was no noticeable improvement (or even pain relief) as a result of any of the shots.

Cherie on 4/19/03 at 16:45 (116584)

I have had several cortisone shots over the years and they have all helped tremendously in reducing my pain. I think the key is to 'baby' your feet after the shots so that they can heal. I have found the more I stayed off them and did not go barefoot the longer the injections lasted. Also, it is MUCH less painful if they use the freezing spray on the injection site prior to the injection. Good Luck...Cherie

Re: you can read about my experience on this website

Mahatmelissama on 4/21/03 at 17:05 (116721)

I have had 2 cortisone shots. So far, things keep getting better and better (but it has only been a month of these shots). I need one more in my left foot and then see what happens. It is to help take away inflammation due to irritated nerve near toes in my case.

Lynn on 4/21/03 at 23:14 (116770)

I have been eduring heel pain for over a year now. Have tried Celebrex, Bextra, Berkenstock shoes, and finally heel injection last week. The injection was not painful-freezing spray used. I was pain free for about 2-3 days and it has slowly came back. Not as bad as before but bothersome! My podiatrist told me if the pain came back he would re-inject me in 2 wks with a different longer acting medication.

debia on 4/26/03 at 14:13 (117190)

I had PF a few years ago, guess I still do. My doctor recommended not getting the cortisone shots, he said the percentage it helped was not great, and something about causing a hardening in there that would cause more problems. First he had me in a 'boot' type brace for six weeks to give my foot a rest. He taught me an excercise to do, stretching the achilles tendon. He also sent me to A New Balance shoe store to be fitted properly with some good running shoes. I am not a runner, but he said I needed the support. This all helped to some degree, but not totally. Finally he sent me to be fitted for a orthotic that gave me total support on that foot. It will never be totally gone, but three years later I am at the point where I can go to the mall and walk around for a few hours without the excruciating pain. And if I feel the pain coming back usually it is because I have slacked off of my exercises. I still wear the NB shoes everywhere (what a fashion statement), and have my orthotic in place.