Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z away for the next 10 days.

Posted by Dr. Z on 4/19/03 at 11:31 (116578)

Good bye for ten days. Will be back already to help heel pain again

Re: Aspirin, or Ibu's before ESWT ?

BrianG on 4/19/03 at 20:34 (116601)

On no, and I just sent him an e-mail!!! Maybe someone else can help me here. I'll be going down to see DrZ and and his incredible Dornier Machine in a couple of weeks. It's been a year since my 1st zaps, and I'm going to give it one more chance.

I'm taking an 81mg aspirin, once a day, and three 800mg Ibuprofens a day, 1 with each meal. I know before surgery, it's a good idea to cut back on these meds, about 7 days before the procedure. I can't remember what the protocol is for ESWT. Should I stop, or cut back on the the aspirin, or the Ibu's ????

Anyone?
BrianG, not a doc

Sharon W on 4/19/03 at 21:28 (116603)

Brian,

I definitely would. Although I've never had ESWT, I'm pretty sure I've seen something in the past about not taking anti-inflammatory drugs or 'blood thinners' when you're doing ESWT because it can promote bleeding. And actually, for my last 2 surgeries I remember being told I should stop taking anything that would 'thin' the blood at least 10 days beforehand. I don't know if all docs have the same protocol about that, but it does make sense not to bleeding excessively when you know you're going for a procedure like that.

Sharon

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/20/03 at 10:13 (116616)

Brian,

I would stop taking the ibuprofen 7-10 days prior to the procedure. Before I recommend that you also stop the 81 mg of aspirin, I need to know why you are taking the aspirin. Many patients routinely take a 'baby' aspirin as a preventative for heart disease which is widely recommended and accepted. However, many patients take an aspirin as prescribed by his/her doctor for a particular ailment. My answer to your question will depend on the reason you are taking the aspirin. If you take the aspirin simply as a preventative measure, for no specific ailment I would recommend stopping it 7-10 days prior to the ESWT. If you are taking it for a specific ailment, that may be a different story. For privacy, if you'd like to email me, contact me at (email removed).

BrianG on 4/20/03 at 20:23 (116637)

Hi Dr. Wander,

I'm taking the 81mg aspirin strictly as a preventative measure, requested by my doctor. I don't think it will bother me to stop taking it. I'm more concerned about stopping the the 800mg Ibu's, as they seem to help with some of the inflamation pain in my feet, and knees.

I was taking Vioxx, for the last couple of years, by my Medicaid insurance just stopped paying for it, so it was back to the Ibu's. They (insurance) are obviously looking at the short term cost savings, not what may happen years down the road!

Thanks everyone, I'll be stopping both soon, as my Dornier treament is on the 5th. Will the 2nd try be the charm????

Hope so,
BrianG