Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Trainers

Posted by Dorothy C. on 4/20/03 at 02:23 (116605)

I have been using the Foot Trainers that Mr. Wilmot designed and sells and they have made a tremendous difference in reducing the level of foot and heel pain and in my comfort and mobility. I think they are absolutely terrific! They are a little odd when you first see them and use them, but the exercises and the trainers become easy with just a little practice and they are so worth the effort! There are increasingly longer periods of time when I have no pain at all. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the Foot Trainers don't get enough attention as an effective treatment and maybe even cure for PF and associated foot problems; I think they could help so many people. Anyone who has had pain in their lives and finds something that helps knows how attached you become to that helpful thing - that is how I feel about the Foot Trainers. I think they are great! I do not know Mr. Wilmot or anything about him other than what he shares with any customer, but I think he is brilliant based on his invention of the Foot Trainers.
I also love Dansko shoes. They 'save the day' for me many, many times.
So, having discovered the Foot Trainers and combining them with wearing Dansko shoes has made a huge difference in the quality of life for me and I am very grateful that these products exist. I hope others will find this information useful. Best wishes to you all.

Re: Foot Trainers

Ellen J. on 4/20/03 at 21:04 (116639)

Hi Dorothy,
How often do you use the foot trainers each day, and for how many minutes each time? I am wondering how much time a person would need to spend in order to get the benefit of the exercises. Did you start to feel better fairly soon after you started using them? I'm glad your quality of life and pain level are both better! Great!!
Ellen J.

Dorothy C. on 4/21/03 at 00:37 (116648)

I follow the recommendations that come with the Foot Trainers which are that they should be used first thing in the morning before putting any weight on the feet. So, routinely I use them once a day, first thing in the morning. You can/should also try to use them a second time during the day or at bedtime, but I don't always use them the second time, unless the feet are painful. As to how much time it takes - I have not actually 'clocked it', but I am guessing it is about 10-15 minutes - but I am not positive about that. Now that you have asked, I plan to make note of how long the series takes.
As to how long before I began to feel improvement, I think it was within about a week; for significant improvement, it has been about 3 weeks to a month. Thank you for your good words. I hope the same for you and anyone who is having these troubles.
Dorothy

Mike W on 4/21/03 at 07:12 (116649)

Hello Dorthy,

Thank you for your for your kind words. I hope you continue to improve and get 100% very soon.

I developed the Foot Trainer exercises because I had PF for 5 years and the traditional treatments were not effective for me. I still perform the exercises several times a week for prevention and no have not needed any orthotics for years.

The Foot Trainer exercises are effective because they help relax the short tight flexor muscles ( the ones that attach or run through the heel/ankle) by strengthening the opposing (typically weak) extensor muscles.

I believe that many of the 'traditional' exercises are ineffective because they physiologically incorrect and target the wrong muscles.

Regards,

Mike W

Mike W on 4/21/03 at 07:23 (116650)

Hello Ellen,

I recommend performing the exercises twice per day. Before the first step of the day and again before bed. The exercises usually take between 5-15 minutes.

From the feedback that I get people start to notice that the first step pain/tightness begins to stop within 1-2 weeks and the average person notices significant improvement in 3-4 weeks.

We also offer a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee because our customers get results.

Thank you for your interest.

Regards,
Mike W

nancy sc on 4/21/03 at 09:00 (116659)

To Mike W:

Do you think ultimately, after PF is gone, it is better to try to get rid of the orthotics? Currently, I am pretty much recovered from PF, but continue to use my orthotics. I am considering getting the foottrainer, because I want to prevent a relapse. I had thought that I would always be running in orthotics. Do you think any harm or damage can be done by continuing to wear orthotics?

Thanks,

Nancy

Ellen J. on 4/21/03 at 09:10 (116660)

Thanks for your information, Dorothy. I'm so happy that it's working for you, especially now that it's spring and you'll want to get outside and do things. I'm also glad to know that it doesn't take up a huge amount of time each day in order to receive the benefit.
Ellen

Mike W on 4/21/03 at 09:19 (116665)

Hello Nancy,

If you strengthen the proper muscles in the foot/lower leg that you will no longer need orthotics.

I think orthotics can be good at providing support/protection/comfort and that well fitted and constructed orthotics will not cause harm or damage.

Some things to consider. Orthotics are like wearing a knee brace, if you wear a knee brace all day everyday the muscles around your knee will atrophy. Orthotics are fitted and designed to work on flat surfaces. If you run on uneven surfaces they will not provide you with the same support.
Orthitics do not address the underlying cause of PF.

I hope this info helps.

Regards,

Mike W

nancy sc on 4/21/03 at 10:04 (116676)

Hi Mike:

OK, the testimonial above plus your info has me convinced to buy.

Can you please tell me about the pair-vs-single foot trainer? If you buy one, can it be used with both feet? Why buy two?

Thanks,

Nancy

Mike W on 4/21/03 at 11:16 (116684)

Hello Nancy,

We offer a choice to make it more affordable to everyone. You can perform all exercises with 1 Foot Trainer so yes you can use 1 and use it on both feet(which I recommend even if you have PF in only 1 foot). The advantages of 2 are; exercise time is cut in half, and you can notice if one foot/leg is weaker/stronger so you may get better muscle symmetry.

Regards,

Mike W

Ellen J. on 4/21/03 at 12:41 (116691)

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your note. I have the foot trainers and am embarrassed to say that I didn't do the exercises often enough and will do them faithfully from now on. I have a strong feeling that they will help, it's just that when my foot trainers arrived awhile back, my feet hurt so much that I was afraid to do them. Now that my feet are better (some great days and some good days), I feel confident about doing the exercises. That's great that the improvement happens so quickly for many people. Also, it was interesting to read your other post about why you developed the foot trainer.
Thanks again!
Ellen J.

nancy sc on 4/22/03 at 10:18 (116805)

Mike:

OK, I've ordered and am looking forward to receiving my foottrainer!

Thanks for your comments. I have been running in my orthotics on either a dirt path, a cinder track, or a paved (blacktop) road. I find the orthotics more comfortable on the path and cinder track, and less so on the paved road. On the road, I feel the 'bumps' in the arch of the orthotic, but not on the softer surfaces. When you said 'uneven surface' do you mean something like a dirt path? Which of these surfaces is best for running, with or without the orthotic?

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Steve on 4/22/03 at 10:57 (116807)

Mike, I purchased a foot trainer about 1 year ago, used it for a month or so and then stopped using it. Now I want to start using it again but I lost the instructions. Can you send me new instructions. Thanks

Ellen J. on 4/22/03 at 20:21 (116870)

Hi Mike,
I've been using my foot trainers and really like the way it feels when I do the exercises. I hope it's OK that I press hard against the pads with my toes since it feels good to do that. Sometimes my foot feels slightly strained for a short time after that but the feeling goes away. I figure it is probably normal to feel something when you use weak muscles. I am careful not to cause pain while I'm doing the exercise, as the instruction manual says. I am curious to know if we might expect to feel any delayed onset muscle sorness. So far I don't have any of that but am wondering if it will occur at some point.
Thanks for creating this device!
Ellen

Mike W on 4/23/03 at 09:16 (116907)

Hello Nancy,

I meant any surface that is not flat ie. a side hill. I would guess a cinder track would be best because it is softer.

I hope you get 100% very soon.

Regards,

Mike W

Ellen J. on 4/23/03 at 19:40 (116961)

Steve,
If Mike isn't able to send you the instructions, one of us on the message board can probably fax them to you. I have a photocopier and fax if you need that to be done. Hopefully Mike doesn't mind me offering to do that. (I wouldn't' want to accidently violate any copyrighted material).
Ellen J.