Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ruptured plantar fascia

Posted by Judy R on 4/21/03 at 09:10 (116661)

Are cordisone shots recommended for plantar fascia? I had an MRI taken after I noticed a lump in my arch and it was discovered that there was a rupture/small tear of the plantar fascia. I wore a cast for six weeks and am still in pain. I try not to do too much walking. Will a shot of cordisone help my problem? My foot doctor says no, but a orthopedic doctor says yes. What should I do?

Re: ruptured plantar fascia

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/21/03 at 14:17 (116701)

This is an excellent question, with no simple answer. Cortisone can atrophy or weaken tissue, therefore may delay the healing of the ruptured plantar fascia. On the other hand, cortisone is a potent anti-inflammatory that also aids in the reduction of scar tissue. I believe that an injection may be beneficial in a few weeks, but not at this time. I'd give the area more time to heal. If and when an injection is given, it would be advisable to limit your activity following the injection or wear a removable cast to allow the plantar fascia to 'rest'.