Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is motion control and who is it good for?

Posted by Dean H on 4/21/03 at 20:51 (116755)

I've searched the message archives, but I'm still confused.
What does 'motion control' mean?
Are there standard ways of measuring it?
Is it good for some PF cases and bad for others? If so, how do I know if it's good or bad for me?

Thanks,
Dean

Re: What is motion control and who is it good for?

Richard, C.Ped on 4/22/03 at 09:00 (116798)

Hi Dean...If you are referring to motion control shoes...well..those are good for excessive pronators, or someone with really flat feet. They are reinforced in the medial arch area, thus preventing your foot from 'rolling' in to much when walking or running. Some people use orthotics in them...some don't. I believe an orthosis which is made properly will do the trick just fine.

As with any shoe that claims to have 'arch support', it is not made to your foot. If you have a painful diagnosis of the foot, then the orthosis may be the way to go. If you just have plain fatigue, then the shoe might work just fine.

Hope that helps, and makes sense. Its 10:00 am and I have not taken a sip of coffee yet.
Richard

Kathy G on 4/24/03 at 08:31 (116983)

Dean,

Richard gave you an excellent answer, even without having had his coffee. For me personally, motion-control shoes were just horrible. I thought I was doing the right thing but although I don't have high arches, I do have very sensitive arches and the motion control really raised havoc with my feet. I believe the same old rule applies, 'If it feels good, it's the right shoe for you!'

Richard, C.Ped on 4/25/03 at 12:54 (117103)

mmmmmmm cooooffffeeee
R