Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture for plantar fascitis pain

Posted by Susan K. on 4/22/03 at 12:34 (116817)

Do you have any information regarding the use of acupuncture to treat the heel pain of plantar fascitis. Also, am I correct in assuming the it would only treat the pain and not the underlying cause?

Re: Acupuncture for plantar fascitis pain

nancy sc on 4/22/03 at 13:29 (116821)

Susan:

I am not a doctor, but I had acupuncture twice a week for about 4 weeks for PF with no effect. It was given to me by a sports medicine doctor who was also trained in acupuncture. The needles were attached to some kind of device that delivered a mild electric current for extract oomph. The doctor himself was not that hopeful that the acupuncture would work, but thought it worth a try. The night splint he gave me subsequently was much more effective, as were stretching, icing, etc.

Nancy

JenL on 4/22/03 at 15:10 (116834)

I received acupunture treatments 12 setions for heel pain. Five of them was given by a well known doctor in China Town, New York city. One friend suffered seansonal alergy for years, and went there for one treatment and the alergic problem was gone. He was one of many who was cured. I went there hoping I could also find a magic cure for foot pain. The doctor did see a number of heel pain patients every week, and he said some did get better. But I was not helped. Some people on the board posted they were indeed helped by acupuncture. I believe when it's working it's not only the symptoms but the cause of the problem that was worked on.

Mar on 4/22/03 at 20:19 (116868)

I had acupuncture twice a week for 2 months for PF. It would give me temporary relief - like 2 hours or so and did reduce the pain level from a 9 to maybe a 7-8 - not enough to continue. My acupuncturist also suffered from PF on and off (she's a runner), and used it to help herself. Mar

MegK on 4/24/03 at 18:10 (117010)

During my first bout with PF, I went to an accupuncturist around Peabody, MA. It worked well on my foot for about two days.