Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how is everyone who has had ESWT recently doing out there????

Posted by rekha s on 4/22/03 at 16:15 (116848)

hello folks...had eswt in late March...there were ups and downs, but lately I have noticed that I only have morning soreness and my feet are less painful throughout the day...of course I am restraining myself from all stressful activities including gardening...(which is killing me...I want to start planting annuals!!)...and I have been lucky enough not to be working currently and am babying my feet...

For a while though pain and soreness in other non treated foot started cuz I was walking a little weird...My Dr. Dr Klooster says that mentally the more you think about correcting your gait the more you seem to throw it off..so just walk and dont think about it...and recently that has been working...the pain in other foot seems to have subsided...

I am keeping up with heat and stretching exercises religously...am feeling pretty positive

Would like to know how everyone else is doing out there (who have recently had eswt).....!!!!

Re: how is everyone who has had ESWT recently doing out there????

Pauline on 4/22/03 at 21:09 (116873)

As people reply to your post, I think it would be beneficial if they would let us know how many ESWT treatments they had to reach the level of comfort or cure that they now experience and are writing about.

Personally I'd like to also know the machines they chose for treatment, as well as, their pain and healing experience following their treatment.

Their post treatment orders given by their treating doctor would also be interesting to see how many gave out the same information.

SteveG on 4/23/03 at 10:06 (116915)

Rekha - I had ESWT around Christmas time - 4 months ago. I had three low energy treatments. I would say that my heels are 50-70 improved. I can stand in line at the grocery store without grinding my teeth and the mornings are a lot easier to get through. I have had a pretty bad case for over a year and a half, so the ability to stand in line without looking frantic is quite a pleasure. I have also noticed that the bottom of my foot feels lighter and more supple. My fascia used to feel about an inch thick. I still have some pain in the heel; however, most of my discomfort is in the arch and where the fascia inserts into the toes. I am looking into getting another treatment to further resolve the heel pain and to see if that does not take some of the tension of the toes.

Post treatment I was told to take Tylenol for discomfort and to take it easy - gentle stretching, swimming and biking for exercise.

MegK on 4/24/03 at 18:03 (117008)

I wish I could say I was doing better. I am 6 weeks from my treatment with a Dornier. I have struggled with this for 1.5 years. After my procedure, I was four days before I left the house, and that was very carefully. When I go to work I go to my desk and pretty much stay there all day. When I go home, I try to stay off my feet as much as possible, even using crutches or a crutch while at home (didn't learn this trick until about 2 weeks after). I do this along with arch supports, Grid Saucony Sneakers and taping(the six teardrop along the base of the foot method). I can say there has been some improvement. But, I am still not as good as I was prior to the procedure. Prior to the procedure I was able to be on my feet for about 15 minutes (with the tape and shoes) without feeling pain. I could also bike for an hour strenuously. Now, I cannot even bike for 10 minutes without feeling like I'm doing damage. I do simple toe crunches 10-3x at night. I also ice at night. This is about it. I responded well last year to massage, but the PF came back. I can't wait until I can do massage again!!! Anyone know how long after ESWT one should wait until they can do massage and exercises?

Re: anybody else out there post-eswt? how are you doing? better, worse?

rekha s on 4/25/03 at 15:33 (117127)

how about the rest of the people who have had eswt? how are all of you doing...? I guess when people start feeling better, they don't come to this site anymore....only the ones who arent doing good....not the ones who are much better....

I have had eswt twice in the past b4 this recent treatment...and I have to tell you that for me at least eswt has worked every time...

the first time in may of 2000 both my feet were so painful that I barely walked...it took a good 12-16 weeks to notice good amount of relief.....

the second time...it took about 8 weeks and for the 2 years following that treatment, my feet were doing excellent, and I always made it a priority to post my success on the board even after the pain had subsided....just to let everyone out there know that this treatment did work for me....

just in march did the pain return, from overdoing it, and not keeping up with the streching etc, plus i was taking long walks....this time when the pain goes down, I vow to keep up with listening to my feet....You know when you don't have pain as a constant indicator daily, you slack off with those things...also I believe the biomechanical issue of my feet needs to be addressed on why the eswt takes the pain down substantially and then boom.....it comes back....I will address this with my podiatrist soon...

Re: anybody else out there post-eswt? how are you doing? better, worse?

MegK on 4/25/03 at 16:39 (117134)

Thank you for your reply. I am encouraged!!

Re: post ESWT

Jeanne S on 4/26/03 at 15:26 (117193)

I am 4 weeks post ESWT and making progress. My pain was greatly reduced one week after and continued slowly to improve for 2 more weeks. The 4th week I think I overdid it and regressed a little. I am now seeing slow improvement again, but I have had to switch from my beloved birks to new balance sneakers. They seem to give me the support and cushioning that I need. Has anyone else had this happen? Prior to ESWT I had worn nothing but birks for several years. I hope I can go back to them eventually. It is hard to be patient for my foot to feel normal, but it will be worth the wait if I can go for walks again and do normal things.

Jerry F on 4/27/03 at 13:41 (117226)

Had Ossatron done on January 31 and although my foot is not yet completely pain free, it is 90% of the time. I am very pleased.

rekha on 4/27/03 at 14:02 (117227)

Jerry, how long did it take you to notice this difference? were there ups and downs?

Debi Y on 4/28/03 at 11:32 (117264)

I realized that I haven't been back to this site since I asked for advice of doing ESWT vs. surgery, back in June. February was my 3rd anniversary since developing chronic constant plantar fasciitis in both feet. I've been traveling from Manhattan to Dr. Zuckerman, and have had 3 ESWT treatments (Dornier epos)in one foot and 2 in the other, with 16 weeks between each. It's been 13 weeks since the last one in the left foot. I had some improvement after the 1st two with less tenderness, wt. bearing/walking up to 1 1/2 hrs. before flaring up, and recovering more quickly b/t flare ups. After the 3rd in the left, I initially felt better for a few weeks. Now I am having a harder time again and am discouraged. I'm also on my feet all day at work which has always been difficult. I can last up to 1 hr. on my feet. This is with taking narcotic pain medication around the clock. I do think that ESWT helps, but my case has been terribly persistent.

monte on 4/28/03 at 12:15 (117265)

debi

i travel from Manhattan to Dr Z too. It is worth it. I have 3 treatments by him and I think they helped calm down the heel pain. The arches still hurt. But you cannot treat the arch area.
Hope you feel better

Bev on 4/28/03 at 14:40 (117271)

So, are you two saying we should try having the ESWT treatments if we are having the arch pain also or not? The ESWT only helps the heel pain? You both had 2 and 3 treatments and it is only helping a LITTLE ? It hardly seems worth it for only a LITTLE relief and still needing narcotic pain relief 24/7 .debi, were you able to rest before going back to work, if so, for how long? What do you do, are you on your feet at work?What kind of shoes do you wear? I feel so badly for you, debi.

monte on 4/28/03 at 14:47 (117272)

I am just saying that I had it done 3 times (2 with the Donier)and I did get some relief in the heels. You cannot treat the arch area. I think it has something to do with the nerves in the area.
I was also trying to say what a great doctor Dr Z is and that I too travel from NY all the way to see him near PA.

I never saw overnight relief or pain reduction. It has been gradual.

Bev on 4/28/03 at 16:35 (117275)

monte, How long ago did you have ESWT ? How long does it take before relief ? Is it worth doing the treatments ? Does everyone with chronic conditions need 2-3 treatments ? Thankyou.

monte on 4/28/03 at 16:55 (117276)

Bev

I had my last treatment in Aug 2002. I had them all in 2002 since the beginning of the year. I went back to Dr Z again a few months ago to do it again, but the ultra sound showed that the inflammation in m fascia went from .6mm down to .35 -.4mm That is in range of being normal, so he couldn't do the treatment again. But, he was happy that the inflammation had gone down. It made sense, since I did have less pain than last year.

Monte

Bev on 4/28/03 at 16:57 (117277)

So the ESWT treatments have lowered your pain. Are you able to live a more 'normal' life since having them done?

monte on 4/28/03 at 16:58 (117278)

bev

write to me at john . mon taperto @ gs.com

Pauline on 4/28/03 at 17:27 (117280)

Debi,
I sure feel sorry for all you've gone through and still having a difficult time. It just doesn't seem fair.

Here we've all read the FDA studies that were posted about the Espos yet we don't seem to see patients reporting the same results. It doesn't seem to make sense anymore. They report great results following a single treatment, you've had mulitiples and your results sure arn't the same as the FDA trial patients. It must be very frustrating.

I don't know what to think about ESWT anymore. The results being reported on this board seem more in line with the JAMA report than the FDA's test studies.

Pauline on 4/28/03 at 17:35 (117283)

I was told by an Ossatron Rep. that the Ossatron can be used in the arch area. They would adjust the level because of less tissue volumn. He claimed it was the ideal machine for the arch because of it's wide focal area. I guess the arch can be treated after all.

monte on 4/28/03 at 20:06 (117303)

is that true? i know there is less tissue mass there and the nerves can be damaged. but if they can do the arch area....i would like to try it. but i can't imagine the soreness in the arches after treatment, OUCH.

Dr. Z on 4/28/03 at 22:05 (117313)

Monte,

Here is my take on the Arch area. From a application point of view it is very easy to do. I don't have hundreds of cases to speak from but I have found very limit reduction in pain from doing arch cases. When we speak of arch pathology I talking about either the plantar fascia and the posterior tibial tendon. Most of arch work was done with the big O from the bottom. Going from the side is very important in this area with either the ossatron or the dornier. I just didn't see any great relief from treating these ares but again very few just arch pain cases. I believe we treated your foot with the Big O for arch pain. Is this correct?.

monte on 4/29/03 at 07:50 (117324)

Dr Z

We never treated the arch area with the Big O or the Donier. We only focused on the insertion point.

Would you like to give it a try one day?

Thanks
Monte