Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What causes Plantar Worts

Posted by Mike C on 4/22/03 at 16:24 (116850)

I am in the military deployed to a foreign country, and I work on signal equipment. I have a soldier who has a plantar wort on his foot, and as I do not know much about medical items, what would cause a plantar wort? I do not know hardly anything about them, what else should we know about this ailment? Like, is there anyway to heal it, prevent it from getting worse, any long term affects, that sort of thing? Could it be possible that he got this from either wearing white socks inside his boot, when we normally wear the thicker black socks?

Re: What causes Plantar Wart

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/22/03 at 18:22 (116858)

Mike,

A plantar wart is caused by a virus. The word 'plantar' refers to the bottom of the foot, therefore the only place you can have a 'plantar' wart is on the sole of your foot. The wart is caused by a virus and is often caused by a small break in the skin. Warts are tough to prevent, and some individuals seem to be susceptible to recurrence, while others in the same environment never get a wart. I don't think your socks had anything to do with developing warts, and warts rarely cause any long term problem. There are dozens of treatment options for warts, but first get it checked out by a medical professional to make sure that is actually in a wart.