Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ANOTHER TYPE OF SURGERY

Posted by John S. on 4/22/03 at 23:27 (116886)

HELLO
UNFORTUNATLY I HAVE SUFFERD FROM PF FOR OVER 10 YEARS. I HAVE A HIGH ARCH AND HAVE SEVERE PAIN WHICH RESTRICTS ME FROM WALKING AND STANDING FOR VERY LONG. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT I KNOW OF WITH VERY LITTLE IMPROVEMENT. FASCIA RELEASE SURGERY ON BOTH FEET, TARSEL TUNNEL NERVE REMOVED FROM RIGHT FOOT, E.S.W.T, AND OF COURSE EVERY TYPE OF ORTHOTIC AND CUSTOM MOLDED SHOE. I ALSO HAVE A SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR IMPLANTED TO TRY TO RELEIVE SOME OF THE PAIN. RECENTLY I HEARD OF A EXTREME LAST RESORT SURGERY WHERE ALL 5 BONES ARE BROKEN ACROSS THE FOOT,AND A WEDGE IS CUT INTO EACH BONE.END RESULT IS A FLAT FOOT WITH LESS TENSION ON THE FASCIA.ANY INFORMATION ON THIS PROCEDURE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Re: ANOTHER TYPE OF SURGERY

BGCPed on 4/23/03 at 07:04 (116894)

DONT DO IT. If you really want to have a high cavus foot reconstructed that is not the way to do it. If you are familiar with the procedure you speak of and not getting the facts a bit off DONT do it.

In a cavus reconstruction there is much more than just breaking all 5 met shafts to flaten the foot. That is an osteotomy. There are sometimes tendon transfers, heel cord lengthening and the heel bone is usually shifted also. If all they are going to propose is just doing 5 met shafts and that it is I wouldnt do it .

p.s. did they tell you the possibility of the fascia having more tension on it if the foot is made too flat? Perhaps you can give more detailed info and let one of the surgeons comment. If you go that route reserch a few Dr and make sure it is a specialty for the one you choose.

Pauline on 4/23/03 at 10:24 (116918)

I have to agree with BCPed. If your really going to have this surgery I'd suggest your surgeon be GOD.

You have no idea what your getting yourself into. Seriously please get several opinions before you embark on this procedure.

John S. on 4/23/03 at 12:08 (116928)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.I HAVE VERY LITTLE INFO ON EITHER THE HIGH CAVUS FOOT RECONSTRUCTION OR THE OSTEOTOMY. A PROCEDURE TO FLATTEN THE FOOT TO RELIEVE FASCIA TENSION WAS MERELY MENTIONED TO ME, SO I AM ATTEMPTING TO GATHER AS MUCH INFO. AS POSSIBLE TO SEE IF IT IS RIGHT FOR ME. HOPEFULLY A EXPERT SURGEON WILL RESPOND.

Re: Google rules !!!!!

BrianG on 4/23/03 at 16:58 (116951)

Hi John S,

I may have found some information for you. Have you tried the search engines yet? I went to http://www.google.com and typed in 'cavus foot reconstruction'

There are 4 hits, all have some kind of information. The 3rd hit down is pretty graphic. Once you open the Dr's web page, scroll to the bottom, for your condition. I think it was written by a Dr.Sanchez. It contains some pretty graphic photos, which start with a very high arch. It may be what your looking for.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

PS: I should ask, have you tried to contact a pain management clinic, or doctor?