Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Article

Posted by wendyn on 4/24/03 at 09:51 (116988)

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030424.uwent0424/BNStory

This is an article from the Globe and Mail (a national Canadian newspaper).

I thought Pauline (and some of my other American friends) would find it interesting.

Re: Article

Kathy G on 4/25/03 at 10:22 (117078)

Thanks for the information, Wendyn. It does seem as though Toronto is being unfairly penalized since so many of the cases stem from one person who had been to China. It's quite a problem and the world health officials don't seem to know exactly what to do.

The Canadian economy is taking quite a few blows of late. I read today that they have banned cod fishing. That's got to hurt the maritime provinces although I understand that the cod has been scarce for quite some time. It just seems that a country as wonderful as Canada shouldn't have so many strikes against it as it seems to have these days!

wendyn on 4/25/03 at 17:46 (117136)

Kathy - in general the Canadian economy has been quite strong (we've been in a period of growth - and haven't had a slow down similar to what you've seen in America)

However, the impact of the SARS travel advisory in Toronto could be huge. Something like 20% of Canada's entire GNP (or GDP?) comes from business there.

Did you know that even in the worst outbreak of Ebola - the WHO never issued a travel advisory to where it was occuring?

Kathy G on 4/26/03 at 08:50 (117163)

I know. I guess, from what I've recently read, they have some warnings issued now on the Congo regarding Ebola. According to the article in the Boston Globe this morning, sentiment is quite mixed on whether the WHO did the right thing in issuing this warning.

You were right. If they can find a vaccine for this, and that's a big if, it will take at least a year. They said that some of the people who have it don't have the corona virus so there may be another agent involved. It's very confusing.

I knew your economy was strong unlike your neighbors to the south! I just hope that this doesn't hurt too much. The US isn't supporting the WHO warning on travel to Toronto but is instead advising caution when traveling there.

Re: SARS

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/03 at 10:16 (117177)

You know what really gripes me about SARS?

No matter what the symptoms, they don't even consider that someone has it unless they have been to someplace where it exists like China (or I suppose Toronto, now), or unless they are in close contact with someone who has been there.

It's not like we live in a vacuum. This is the twenty-first century.

Carole C