Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vioxx before ESWT ??

Posted by BrianG on 4/24/03 at 17:35 (117006)

I'll be having another round of Dornier treatments at DrZ's soon. At 10 days I'll give up my asprin, and Ibuprofen. Since I still have inflamation and considerable pain in my heels, and my knees, I am wondering if it would be OK to take Vioxx in place of the other two? Anyone know???

Regards
BrianG

Re: Vioxx before ESWT ??

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/24/03 at 18:43 (117019)

Brian:
The 'purist' approach is to use no anti-inflammatories whatsoever around the time of ESWT as such substances could, in theory, decrease the effect of ESWT. There is no study proving or disproving this approach.

The advantage of Vioxx or any other cox-2 inhibitor is that there is no effect on blood clotting and, as such, one is not likely to bruise with such meds. I feel that it is unlikely that a short course of Vioxx would cause any appreciable effect on ESWT outcome although that is my personal opinion based on my experiences.
Ed

Pauline on 4/24/03 at 19:30 (117026)

Brian,
When I was facing major surgery last year, I had to be off all medications accept for blood pressure 2 weeks prior to the surgery. A list was provided for me and Vioxx was on that list. I wasn't taking any anti-inflamatories or blood thinners so I didn't have that to worry about, but I even had to stop my vitamins.

Maybe it's the hospitals, maybe it's the doctors, but they all seem to be different. Vioxx acts in a similar way, so Dr. Z. may not want you on that either. Chances are your probably better off not using anything for pain accept Tylenol. Did you have to take any after your last treatment???

Sharon W on 4/24/03 at 23:07 (117044)

Brian,

My pod wanted me off Vioxx for a week before my TTS surgery. I was miserable without it!! I knew that Vioxx wasn't supposed to have the same anti-clotting effect as the NSAIDs so I was surprised and dispappointed. But I did follow doctor's orders.

I guess every surgeon has his/her own protocol for these things...

Sharon

BrianG on 4/27/03 at 10:30 (117219)

Thanks everyone. It seems like I'm in for some additional pain this week, arrrggghhh!!!

Pauline on 4/27/03 at 21:40 (117237)

Brian,
John thought you were treated by Dr. Z. with the Orbie, I didn't think so. Wasn't your first treatment with the Dornier and now your heading back for a second? Hope this one works like a charm. Good luck.

BrianG on 4/27/03 at 22:18 (117240)

That correct, this is my 2nd treatment, both heels, with Dr. Z's Dornier Epos machine. My 1st treatment was not too long after he got the machine. I was there the day that the Dornier tech arrived, to help Dr. Z with training his partners. Thanks for the good wish's, Pauline.

BrianG

JudyS on 4/28/03 at 17:51 (117287)

Brian - when will you do this next treatment?

BrianG on 4/29/03 at 08:40 (117330)

May 5th, at Dr. Z's.

Pauline on 4/29/03 at 09:59 (117335)

Best of luck Brian. Hope you see improvement with this second round. It sure would be great news to see your tough case of P.F. cured.

Tammie on 4/29/03 at 14:11 (117351)

Brian I happen to see this and I wanted to wish you Luck also! You always have been very kind to me and helped me thru some pretty rough times for that I will always keep you in my prayers! I do hope this is the one that does the trick for you! You need to get ready as the fishermen are talking and I see the boats and guys getting them all spiffed up . It would be great if You could have happy feet to let you enjoy the things that make you the happinest! Good Luck!

Re: Good Luck Brian

Valerie S on 4/29/03 at 16:50 (117374)

I am back today, skimming through posts... :D and wanted to send you some happy thoughts and wishes for success on your upcoming ESWT with Dr. Z. [-o< I'm sorry to see you are still suffering so, but glad to see you haven't given up the fight either!

@};- Val

Re: Good Luck Brian

BrianG on 4/29/03 at 23:20 (117403)

Thanks, I'll give you all an update sometime down the road. I feel like I'm quickly running out of optons....

Regards
BrianG