Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

UPDATE ON 16-YR OLD WITH PF

Posted by JanP on 4/24/03 at 20:58 (117038)

We have rescheuled my daughers's EPF surgery for April 30th. She is much too young to be in so much pain all the time. Our podiatrist has had great success with EPF surgery on his patients. I hope we continue his great success rate. Please keep her in your thoughts & prayers! Thanks!

Re: UPDATE ON 16-YR OLD WITH PF

SteveG on 4/25/03 at 09:21 (117070)

Was it determined that your daughter was too young for ESWT?

JanP on 4/25/03 at 10:38 (117080)

Steve--Yes, it was determined that she is too young. Also, because of the constant pain she's in, the possibility exists that ESWT might not work even if we pushed the age issue. I realize that possibility also exists for EPT but don't know what choice we have at this point. Our pod is very confident of the surgery for her.

JanP on 4/25/03 at 10:39 (117081)

sorry---EPF not EPT

SteveG on 4/25/03 at 15:14 (117125)

I can imagine how difficult it must be for her at that age. At least I was old and sedentary when PF hit me. Best of luck to you and your daughter.

kay on 4/26/03 at 10:11 (117175)

I think all the doctors......well not all but many of them say the success rate of epf surgery is high......80% or more but I doubt that to be true.

Dr. Z on 4/27/03 at 20:14 (117234)

If the growth plates are closed then both EPF, and or ESWT are not to be used.

JanP on 4/28/03 at 09:25 (117258)

Dr. Z---May I ask why EPF should not be used if the growth plates are closed? This is the first time I have heard of this.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/03 at 15:26 (117445)

Kay:
80% sounds a bit high to me.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/03 at 15:33 (117446)

Dr. Z:
I have never encountered a 16 yo with intractable PF in 21 years of practice. I certainly hope the diagnosis is indeed intractable PF. The calcaneal growth plate should be closed by about age 13 so I don't see why a 16 year old could not get ESWT. I am not quite following the reasoning being provided as no one can guarantee that either procedure will work but one procedure is non-invasive and has a higher success rate.
Ed

JanP on 4/30/03 at 16:51 (117454)

My insurance would not cover ESWT so EPF was our only option at this point. She has been in constant pain (varying intensity) for the past 5-6 weeks so that's why surgery was suggested at this point. When we first saw the pod last June, he didn't want to do any surgery until she was in her 20's (if she continued to have problems). However, once the pain became constant & she was missing a lot of school, surgery was suggested since we had explored our other options. My pod has done about 500 EPFs so we felt confident to try it at this point. Hopefully, it will work--but only time will tell. Thanks for your comments.

monte on 4/30/03 at 17:13 (117456)

I don't mean to butt in....but 500 EFPs sounds like alot. But not in a good way. He doesn't sound conservative. I think 5 in 1 year is what some doctors are doing. That is based on conversations I have had with Drs.

ESWT is bringing the need for that surgery down.

Look into it....the side effects of the surgery can be very bad. Just read some of the stories. There really is no downside to trying ESWT. You are right about the insurance companies paying for surgeries and not ESWT.

I paid out of pocket to do it so that I would not have to have surgery.

Listen to the doctors on this board...They are very knowledgable.
Good luck to you and your daughter.

Re: stupid Dr. Z

Dr. Z on 4/30/03 at 17:55 (117460)

Ed,

It should read Not Closed.

Re: Growth Plate not Closed

Dr. Z on 4/30/03 at 17:57 (117461)

Are the growth plates closed.? It is very rare to have chronic pf in someone age 16. I did ESWT on a patient age 16 but he was 300lbs and a starting high school football player. I couldn't believe he was age 16

Is there a heel spur in the foot?

Dr. Z on 4/30/03 at 18:02 (117462)

I have been in practice for 23 years. I have done close to 500 minimial incision heel spur operations. The reason why was word of mouth. Patients would travel from all over due to the fear of open hospital surgery. This was when very very few if any at all were doing minimial incision heel spur operations,(1979) but 500 EPF which started in 1992 is alot unless the podiatrist did alot of marketing which did occur when the EPF first came out. It was advertized as mania from heaven but we all know this isn't true

BrianG on 4/30/03 at 21:06 (117486)

Hi Jan P,

You don't happen to live in Texas do you? The reason I'm asking is beause the Pod who came up with EPF, Dr. Stephen Barrett is his name, and he's from Texas. I suppose he may have done 500 cases.

I had this same surgery, by a young, cocky doctor who told me of his great success's. Guess what I found out after my surgery. All the patients I met in his office were there, waiting to heal, after failed EPF's. Also, a 'kit' is used, to ensure the cut is made in the correct area. All of the original 'kits' had flaws, which did not allow enough of the fascia to be cut. How old is his kit? If he's using his original one, I'd bet it's flawed!!!

Can he prove to you that he has healed this great amount of people, or are you just going to take his word for it? You may want to ask him if you can talk with some patients he has cured. Next time your in his office, talk to some of his patients, especially people that look like they have had surgery. It can't hurt to ask thm how they are doing.

I don't want to scare you, but the pain from the operation is going to be much worse than the injury, no matter what he tells you. Also, what will you do if he nicks a nerve, and your daughter now has crippling nerve pain for the rest of her life????? Money and insurance should not be the only reasons you are opting for this surgery. Have you gone back, and read the stories from patients whose surgery made them worse? You owe it to yourself to take the time to do it.

I had failed EPF, with 3-4 additional months of severe post op pain. My case was a failure, but I feel very lucky I did not have any long term complications.

I wish you the best, but please do some more research!
BrianG