Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this possible....

Posted by Jane on 4/25/03 at 12:06 (117094)

I have no other explanation for my feet feeling better. I have had plantar facitis for the last 7 years - real painful in both feet. Extremely painful - so much so I couldn't walk and that I was No. 2 on my Docs list of the worst plantarfacitis. Surgery was the only option left. I have orthodics $250.00 was the cost. Have the nite splints, and even did physical therapy/massage. I still use my orthotics daily but they didn't relieve that much pain. I have had them for almost 2 1/2 years. They allow me to do errands and chores in the am hours of a day. And then I'm shot. My worst was about 2 yrs ago. Last year we had to put our dog to sleep and got a 4 month old yellow lab. He has a fetish with licking feet!! While everyone stops him from doing this and I know it's gross...I don't. It feels like a deep massage. And I swear my feet haven't felt this good in year. Although I can go on minimal amount of time barefoot, I try not too longer than 1/2 hour total a day. Is it possible that my dog's licking the bottom of my feet can be helping my feet a little. I have no clue as to why they are getting better. I am on my feet more than I ever was. The other day someone asked me how my feet were. And I had to think....they still hurt but really not as bad as last year. I am not saying it's cured but it is getting better. As far as my orthotics finally kicking in after a two years....picture this if you will one of them are duct tape together because of my dog. :lol Thanks for any insight.

Re: Is this possible....

monte on 4/25/03 at 12:35 (117100)

So Jane...Did you ever have pains in the arches too? or was it localized in th heels. Do you recall how you got PF?
On scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) what was your pain level then and now. Also, what percentage would you consider yourself better.
Thanks
Monte

P.S. I didn't even touch on the dog licking because I don't know what to say about that.

Bev on 4/25/03 at 14:49 (117121)

Jane, Does your doggy have a brother with a foot fetish that needs adopting?

Micki Q on 4/25/03 at 16:20 (117131)

I believe it could be possible. When you're in pain no matter what it is, if something works I say let it be so. I know my friends dog licked my hand/wrist after I fell on it and it was realy aching. (how he knew it was hurting I don't know but he went right for my wrist) Believe me it felt much better. Maybe a little 'Tender Loving Care' and attention is all that was needed. I believe there is something medicinal in Animal saliva. Keep it up if it helps.

Pauline on 4/25/03 at 21:31 (117151)

Jane,
Can we all take turns borrowing your dog:*)

Mar on 4/26/03 at 07:39 (117158)

Maybe you could breed the dog and sell the pups to everyone on here!! Mar

Kathy G on 4/26/03 at 09:04 (117165)

Or maybe rent him out! You could become rich!

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/27/03 at 08:58 (117216)

I think I know your dog, he was a classmate of mine with a slightly different approach to healing.!

Re: MONTE - HERE'S a response Is this possible....

Jane on 4/27/03 at 13:10 (117222)

At the worst - yes arches too. My toes were even starting to hurt. it started in my heals No I don't know how I got PF...I did use to walk alot before I got. Dh claims it was the $3.00 sneakers I always wore from Kmart....LOL I'm sure there's more logic to that then my theory of why my feet are getting better....LOL When it was at it's worse it was more than a 10....I literally could not do more than 1/2 hour of chores a day....I was told to sit but you can't tell a Mom of a 5 year old and a baby to sit. I iced, I got cortizone shots that lasted literally 2 hours, I got orthotics that I believed never kicked in...who knows maybe it was the orthotics but that it took almost 2 years to do their jobs....they are prescription orthotics....I have nite splints. My pain level at it's worse right now I would say is about a 4. The % I feel better I would have to say is 75 % - 80% if you consider
this was then:
I would have to get out of bed leaning on something to walk to the bathroom in the morning.
I could not go grocery shopping with out having a 'plan'.
I could not stand more than 2 minutes talking to someone.
I could not do my walking.
Now:
I don't hurt at all when I get up in the morning.
I dont'mind going grocery shoping and I don't need a plan.
I can stand more than an hour in the same spot talking to a neighbor (like I was just doing before I came on here)
I can walk around the block which is 8 tenth's of a mile.

Today already I've cut the grass (big yard) and walked around the block and talked 1/2 hour to a friend standing in the same spot and they still don't hurt.

They will bother me tonite when I sit down to watch TV and they will hurt but I won't have to hold on to something while walking to bed. :

Now if I did what I already did today for say 3 to 4 days in a row....I would be on my butt for a day recuperating....

Mar on 4/27/03 at 16:40 (117229)

Dr Wander --

LOL!!! You have a very warped sense of humor!! I love it! Hey - we can all use the laugh -- thanks!! Mar

Re: MONTE - HERE'S a response Is this possible....

monte on 4/28/03 at 07:35 (117251)

Thanks for relying. We have alot of the same symptoms. Especially the standing in place and walking problems. I am glad that those are no longer a problem for you. That gives me hope. I would consider a tremendous victory over PF if I can stand in one place for 1 hour to talk to someone. My standing time is growing very slowly. But I want to be able to do it because of no pain and not just because of tolerance.

It sounds like you are at a pain level lower than a 4. I am very happy for you and thanks for the story.

Monte

JudyS on 4/28/03 at 17:48 (117286)

Jane - I think I may have dated your dog back in college.......:)

Seriously though, do you suppose that what your do really provides is a soothing effect which simply helps you to relax your feet - sort of like a massage? Maybe there's just enough relaxed time that they can begin to heal.