Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Bev and Carmen - a continuation from the Doctor's Board

Posted by Kathy G on 4/26/03 at 09:35 (117169)

Carmen,

I wondered why you so seldom post. I can understand that these boards could make you more aware of your pain. I'm sorry that they do that for you but it's certainly understandable. My sister said that when she was fighting breast cancers, she found the support websites did the same to her and she was better off not reading them.

I am so pleased that you are still doing so well with your volunteer work and that your pain is manageable. Stop back now and then.

Bev,

Both your frustration and optimism comes through in your response to Carmen. There are so many discouraging aspects of PF. First of all, most people have never heard of it. Secondly, so many people get cured that you wonder if it's all in your head or if you're doing something wrong. For you to have had to give up a rewarding career, it is even harder.

Of late, I have been thinking that maybe I should just try ignoring my feet and go for it. I mean, I thought why not just do the things I used to do? I am very strong willed and figure it's just mind over matter. I'll just ignore the pain. Could it really have been that bad?

Yes! it was, and I won't discount the fact that I have 'problem' feet again! Over the years that I've had foot problems, I 've tried this method before, usually in the spring or fall, so I should have known better. But as you say, I never planned to be an 'old lady' at 53 or have to stop working. Like you, I was very active and I still have that energy and some days it's very hard to be forced to curtail what I do.

You will probably get to the point where you can do more. And you'll find that you bounce back quicker when you overdo it. It's so hard to know at what point to stop. Yesterday, I helped my husband cut down a tree in our yard. Yes, it was Arbor Day and we were cutting down a tree. Charlie Brown would not have approved! But it was a damaged birch that had to be taken down as it looked awful.

My husband did the brunt of the work since no one would trust me with a chain saw and I fed many of the branches into a chipper he has. Before we were totally finished, I just had to quit. Between the pain in my feet and the pain in my hands, I was in agony. But I really hung in there and despite the fact that I hurt a lot last night, I felt so good for having been outdoors and done something. You know, that great feeling you get when you've done something physical? Today I will take it very easy and not overdo, which will be very hard, but I am happy to say that I couldn't have done what I did two years ago, so thing are looking up.

Keep your hopes up. And above all, continue to utilize whatever will aid you in getting out, like the carts in WalMart. How many grandchildren do you have? Are they close by?

Re: To Bev and Carmen - a continuation from the Doctor's Board

Bev on 4/26/03 at 10:08 (117174)

Hello Kathy G., I was just outside talking to my new neighbor and I was going to read outside on the swing, but it is way too chilly out , that bright sun is teasing us today. We have 3 granddaughters and 3 grandsons , the 4 and 6 year old grand sons live here and the rest only all live either 3 and 4 hours drive away so we get to see them often. My daughter and hubby lived in New York where he was from and they decided to move here when they decided to start a family and we sure were happy about that :) Those two boys are here a lot and we love it :). We have the girls here for spring break and holidays and summer break too :) The youngest grandson is too small yet,his mom does not work so when he comes she comes with him too( what is nice).We used to go camping often and they would go with us , we would all have so much fun :)) When I get so I can run around again we plan to do that again. We camped all of our lives in the summers , it was so much fun, so many adventures, hiking,waterfalls,biking,and all--oh, how I miss it:(( I tried to do a little small bike ride a few weeks ago and paid dearly for it for days :( I have not tried it again . I love playing with the grandchildren but I do 'pay for it' afterward as I always overdo it, even if I only play in the house a little with them. Oh, well, that's life.Here I go babbling on again. I had better go get some work done around here , you have a nice and painfree day,kathy. :D

Re: Thoughts for Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/03 at 10:37 (117180)

Bev, I've been thinking about you. It's so unfair that such a sweet person is in so much pain. Anyway, here's what I've been thinking.

If you overdo it, your feet can't heal and we all want you to feel better! I hope you weren't standing while you talked to your new neighbor. If playing with your grandchildren is overdoing, then you need to insist on help so that you don't overdo.

EVERY TIME we overdo, it re-injures our feet a little and until our feet are stronger, overdoing results in a setback EVERY TIME. From reading your past posts (which I just did after reading Carmen's posts) your feet are bad enough right now that you can't afford any setbacks! None! Zero! You need to get much further along on the road to recovery and not overdo even once for several months.

Sometimes it's pretty depressing having to be so nice to our feet, but they don't seem to get better if we're not. Since you have had the same problem with bike riding that I had, apparently, probably you should just not ride your bike until your feet are feeling 100% and you want to risk overdoing. I waited until my feet were 100%, and then I had a setback, but setbacks at my stage of lower pain don't curtail my usual daily activities like setbacks at your stage of acute pain. It also will take you longer to heal from your setback. So I'd suggest that you wait until you are all better before trying it again. You probably already figured that out. It's terribly hard to curtail our activities and believe me that we really DO understand and care.

And don't you DARE think of yourself as an 'old lady' like you mentioned on the doctor's board! You are young and vibrant and full of so much energy and love of life.

Carole C

Bev on 4/26/03 at 11:13 (117184)

Carole, You just made me cry, I am having a hard time seing the keys between the tears. You are so sweet to care and I appreciate you and your concern more than you will EVER know, and my feet like you too:) You have given me so much advice and information and I have learned so very much from you and Sharon and Kathy and Mar and many more. Without all of you I do not know where I would have been now -- Oh yes-- I know -- I would have been even more of a basket case than I am :D HAHA. You have been like angels to me 0:) , And I am so blessed every day to have found you :) Thankyou so very , very much for all of your very kind help and concern >:D<

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/03 at 12:47 (117185)

Hey Bev, my feet and I like you too! (grin) You have helped me so much too.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 4/26/03 at 15:39 (117195)

All of you give me hope and keep my spirits up! @};- And that sure is important. Thank you.

You know, I think that maybe because we have dealt with PF and other pain, we just may appreciate life more than many people who hurry and scurry from one event to another, hardly taking time to enjoy or reflect on what they are doing. So, when you think about it, in that way we really are getting more out of life even if we have had to give up some things we used to do.

Today I took my younger daughter to a chorus event where she sang a solo, and I played for her on the piano. I had lots of time to just 'people watch' as we waited for her turn and then afterwards for the judging. So many people seemed so stressed and rushed. They don't even know to be thankful that they can walk without their feet hurting!

I had to stand a great deal as there was quite a crowd in the high school hallway and no chairs around. I was thankful for Birkenstock Annapolis shoes and for all I have learned here that helped me be able to be there.

Have a restful and happy weekend, everyone!
Suzanne :)

Re: Suzanne

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/03 at 16:57 (117199)

I really do think that we appreciate life more than most people. We've learned not to take simple things for granted quite so much. And, I think we appreciate each other a lot, too. Now and then here at heelspurs.com we can see people at their best, helpful, courageous, and caring. @};-

I'm glad you were able to be there to hear your daughter sing solo, and to play for her on the piano! I hope that it went well, and that your feet are doing all right.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 4/27/03 at 08:09 (117211)

Thanks, Carole. I was happy to be there for my daughter. She received a Proficient+ on her solo. They are rated either novice, apprentice, proficient, or distinguished. She, of course, hoped for a distinguished, but she was almost there, and I was proud of her! She is my shy one, and to get up and sing a solo took a lot of nerve.

You are right about our adversity sometimes bringing the best out in us. For some reason this quote, which I had not remembered in a long time, came to my mind this morning. I have no idea where it is from:

'I complained that I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.'

Have a good day, everyone!
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/03 at 08:47 (117214)

It sounds like your daughter did quite well! It's hard to sing a solo up there in front of everybody.

I like your quote. That's one that my mother brought us up on.

Carole C

Re: Kathy

carmen h on 4/28/03 at 08:35 (117254)

Thanks for the post Kathy! :)
Yes the volunteer work is going full force...I went down to the Humane Society yesterday and got out 7 of the pups and filled up the pool outside and just let them go wild! I stood and walked for over 6 hours yesterday without sitting down....
It has made a world of difference in me feeling sorry for myself and the pain is HALF what is used to be before I got involved.
I know how needy they are...and my neediness is nothing compared to theirs.
I peek in here now and then but as I said and you definitely understand...to concentrate on this chronic situation is pointless for me.
:)
Thanks again Kathy....

Re: Carmen

Kathy G on 4/28/03 at 09:09 (117256)

Carmen,

Good for you! May your good works and your good health continue!

Re: Kathy

Bev on 4/28/03 at 11:24 (117262)

Kathy, This sounds like so very much fun and so very rewarding to me, something that I would love to do too. Someday when I get over this pain I surely do hope to do more volunteer work too. My problem with doing this is that I would want to take all of those poor puppies home, I could not stand to leave them behind in cages :( . I do volunteering at church a few times a week that I can do sitting down , but that is about all I can do for now . I really over-did it yesterday and am taking it eay today- hurting a lot (:(PIPE) We went to a great concert after church but I had to walk to get to it .But then our daughter had us over for dinner so I didn't have to plan dinner so that was nice :) Had fun with the grandboys. Nice day today , sunny and hope for summer :). I hope Wendy is warming up too :) Everyone have a very nice and painfree day :D Bev