Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

planter fibroma

Posted by Jan T. on 4/26/03 at 09:41 (117171)

What is planter fibroma? My doctor has been watching suspicious lumps on the inside arch of my left foot for about 1 1/2 - 2 years. I've done the ice, elevation, orthotics, and just recently surgery. Apparently, the fibromas were pretty extensive and required more 'digging and scraping' than predicted. Hope it was the right decision. I have a good doc and have every confidence in his recommendation and skill. Still, I wonder. So what causes p.f.? What can be done to prevent a reoccurance? I'm not getting much info on the internet. :( Can you offer any insight or information? Thanks, J.T.

Re: planter fibroma

Jan T. on 4/26/03 at 12:54 (117186)

My comments are shown above.

D.Thomas on 4/27/03 at 13:11 (117223)

I have Plantar Fibromatosis. However, my doctor did not feel any discrete nodules on my medial cord, he did think I was getting early irriation in this area becuase when he ran his finger nail across the medial aspect of my fascia with it pulled tight he could feel very bumpy sensations.

In my situation, what is causing this appearence is the stress in that area of the fascia.

From Nel Jahass' textbook, 'plantar fibromatosis is usually attached firmly to the medial portion of the plantar fascia about 1/2 inch proximal to the first metatarsal head in line with the slightly more deeply situated flexor hallucis longus tendon. Occasionally, two or three slighlt larger masses may be felt from about 1 inch proximal to the first metatarsal head to about the proximal third of the first metatarsal, all being similarly firmly fixed...Clinically, there is no question about the diagnosis - especially if the nodules are bilateral or if the palms are also involved.'

I will also mention in the book that recurrence after local excision of the nodules is 66%.

If they do come back, you might want to talk with Dr. Ed, who posts on this message board, he prefers to use an injection on them. He has posted on this before and you can find this information by searching the message database.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/28/03 at 14:22 (117266)

Jan :
You may be referring to plantar fibromatosis which are discrete areas of thickening or lumps on the plantar fascia which are often painful. The information provided by D.Thomas is right on the mark.

I don't want to discourage you about your choices and certainly hope that your surgery is successful. Nevertheless, there is a high recurrence rate after surgery which is why treatment is generally non-surgical via injections of medications which shrink the growths - the injections may include triamcinolone acetonide and hyaluronidase (Wydase).

Robin A. on 5/12/03 at 20:55 (118483)

I also have been diagnosed today with planter fibroma. My doctor told me not to do anything until it starts causing pain. The only problem I have is when I wake up in the a.m. my foot feels terribly drawn. When I walk for a few minutes it's fine. I really don't have any pain; but I'm afraid it will eventually cause pain.I've been reading scary things about this condition on the internet. My doctor calmed my fears today. I'll appreciate any feedback.