Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

continue running with PF

Posted by Kari J on 4/26/03 at 10:05 (117173)

I had a case of PF about five years ago that cleared up after I quit running for three weeks. This drove me crazy because I run two miles every day and do weights three times a week. I gained weight over this period, which was also a negative. I have it again in the same foot (right), I think because of a hard, commercial treadmill I worked out on at a health club while on vacation at a relative's house (mine has a patented shock absorber deal that is easy on the joints and body). I continued to run on the problem for two weeks, waiting until my feet had 'warmed up' in the morning and the stiffness and most of the pain was gone. The only time it was sore was when I drove to work (an hour each way) and I would get out of the car and limp for a few minutes. Then I thought 'Gee, why don't I search this on the internet?' I found a lot of collaborating advice to ice the bottom of the foot with a frozen water bottle immediately after exercise, use a heating pad to warm it up before I got out of bed in the morning, and tape it (followed the illustrations) before I ran. Oddly, NOW IT HURTS ALL OF THE TIME!!!!!!!! Of course, I WANT TO CONTINUE TO RUN! If I'm not going to gain weight, I will have to cut way down on eating (YIKES!), and I have these urges to take off running when I'm walking somewhere! Is there any way I can continue to run and still have the PF go away? I know that is probably a stupid question! Any help (or lectures!) you could give me would be nice.

Re: continue running with PF

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/03 at 10:48 (117182)

We have a lot of people here who were runners and thought they'd 'run through the pain' and didn't stop running when they developed PF and substantial foot pain.

What apparently happens is that it becomes a chronic condition. Then it takes much longer to heal from it.

Life's not fair. I suggest you cut back on your eating and tough it out until your feet feel better.

You will want to apply what we call 'conservative treatments' for PF. These include things like icing, VERY gentle stretching, rest, and never going barefoot. Keep reading on the message boards, and read the heel pain book on this website for more information on conservative treatments. They actually do work if applied correctly.

Carole C

Re: PS

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/03 at 10:48 (117183)

P.S., I'm not a foot doctor but just another PF sufferer.

Carole C

Re: continue running with PF

Annette on 4/30/03 at 11:32 (117430)

Hi Kari,
I made the mistake of running while suffering from PF and now my PF is going on 4 years with out getting much better, although, I was running around 40 miles per week and competing in long distance races. If I could do it over again I would not run, until my PF had healed. For now I am biking swimming and weight training, it's not running, but I am still able to work out and stay in good shape.
Good luck to you,
Annette