Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Staying flexible

Posted by wendyn on 4/26/03 at 14:37 (117191)

2 days ago we were at the zoo - and it was sun burn weather.

Woke up this morning without power. (it's been on and off all day).

We are getting SLAMMED with a snow storm like you would not believe.

If you click on this link - there is a live picture of web cam (what it looks like outside)

http://www.cfcnplus.ca/

My son's birthday party is tonight - and some parents are worried that they won't even be able to get out of the neighborhood.

Hubby came in and said the snow is waist deep in drifts in the park (remember we had rain and green grass yesterday)

My other poor kid is supposed to land at midnight from a flight out of Las Vegas. IF he makes it in - I wonder if he'll be wearing shorts and a tee-shirt?

I want to go back to bed.

Re: Staying flexible

Suzanne D on 4/26/03 at 15:32 (117194)

Oh, my gracious, Wendy! And here I thought we were having changeable weather what with temperatures in the 70's and lower 80's, then having a frost the other night. But that's nothing compared to what you're experiencing!

I do hope your power is fully restored soon and that your son gets to have some guests for his birthday party. I also hope your older son gets home safely.

Take care!
Suzanne :)

Bev on 4/26/03 at 16:10 (117196)

Wendy, If I were you I would move to LA with your son, that is s-o-m-e weather :D

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/03 at 17:02 (117200)

Wendy, what crazy weather! It's April!! I looked at the webcam and all I could see was snow. This will be a birthday party to remember, if anybody can get there.

When I read the title to your post, I thought it referred to keeping out BODIES flexible. LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 4/26/03 at 17:43 (117201)

The kids all made it...two new wrinkles:

-I invited them for a lengthy period of time - assuming that they could play outside before they go to a movie. They cannot - so they are all here with me in the house. (8 10 year old boys).

-Many of them (6) will be spending the night because of the roads.

Good thing I like kids.

Kathy G on 4/27/03 at 08:51 (117215)

It's a testament to the hardiness of Canadians that they made it at all! I just want to know how much you'll like kids by the time they leave! Just think, your son will always have this birthday party to remember and tell his children about!

Mother Nature has quite a sense of humor and it really shows this year!

The only consolation would be that it should melt fast. Of course, you don't want flooding so you don't want it to melt too fast!

Happy Spring!

wendyn on 4/27/03 at 10:53 (117220)

Kathy - we ended up with about 30 inches of snow yesterday.

All the kids made it here- and 5 are still here. They've been good - but they're currently arguing about who's turn it in the card game they're playing.

I am ready for them to go home (THE WHOLE PLANS WAS THAT THEY COULD GO OUTSIDE!!!)

Re: Some days - esp to Laurie

wendyn on 4/28/03 at 22:20 (117315)

The snow is slowly melting - which is good.

I took two of the Ativan last night - to see how I was before my Thursday flight.

Two did seem to work better than one - but very quickly I noticed that I was itchy. It was a vague - all over itchy feeling. Still had it when I woke up this morning.

I called the pharmacy - and no more ativan for me.

:(

Bummer.

Laurie R on 4/28/03 at 22:28 (117317)

Wendy , what are you going to do about your flight now that you can't take the ativan ? Can they give you Xanax instead ? I hope so .....Laurie R

Sharon W on 4/29/03 at 07:23 (117322)

Wendyn,

Did they have any suggestions for what to use instead of Ativan?

Sharon

wendyn on 4/29/03 at 23:58 (117406)

Laurie - the doctor did give me a prescription for Xanax - he was amazed that I have an allergy to Ativan (very uncommon).

HOWEVER, the pharmacy told me that since I am allergic to Ativan - I may be allergic to that particular drug OR the whole drug family. If it's the whole family - I won't be able to take Xanax or Valium either.

I will fill the prescription, but I have pretty much run out of time to play with drugs. Each drug reaction tends to be worse than the one before - so I'm not experimenting on the plane or while I'm away.

Honestly? The doctor suggested that I go with my old standby of vodka in my oj - and a couple gravol. At least we know it works, and it won't make me itch. No - it wouldn't be a good thing to do on a regular basis, but once every few years won't hurt.

The upside of all of this - is that it made it painfully obvious to me that I am not actually afraid of the plane. When I thought I was going to have drugs - I had no stress. As soon as I found out I wasn't going to have drugs - I had stress. Same airplane. Different feeling.

I am not afraid of the plane. I am afraid of being afraid on the plane. This has been some painful self-realization work. Maybe this will help me to deal with what my problem really is (which has little to do with a mode of transportation - and everything to do with negative thoughts and self defeating behavior)!!!

john h on 4/30/03 at 06:13 (117409)

Wendy I suggest you switch to the dry Martini family of drugs. Preferrable Beef Eater.

wendyn on 4/30/03 at 07:37 (117415)

Thanks John - you're a sweetie! I don't like gin at all though. I still can't quite get past the idea of medicinal booze for breakfast (I'm not averse to wine with dinner - but that's a whole different idea).

Deep down I feel like if I do something like that - I should be headed for the Betty Ford clinic when I get back. I think what I'll do is take the gravol, and buy a couple of those little tiny bottles of vodka and put them in my purse. They will be in there with the Xanax that I also won't take.

I'm hoping that knowing that I _can_ if I _need_ to - will be enough!

Re: Wendy...

Suzanne D on 4/30/03 at 17:34 (117459)

I think you're on to something, Wendy. Several years ago I had a couple of bouts of what the dr. later diagnosed as spastic colon. He prescribed something for me to keep in my purse and put under my tongue at the first sign of an attack.

It stayed in my purse for years, and I never used it. But knowing it was there if I needed it calmed me down and kept me from needing it!

I hope you have a nice trip. Glad to read that your snow has almost melted and that the boys had a good time! I will have to say with two daughters that a room full of girls would have definitely not been asleep by 11:00! ;)

Suzanne :)