Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes for Heel Spurs

Posted by Brian C. on 4/29/03 at 07:51 (117325)

I've tried several shoes, from Ecco to Merrell and nothing seems to help my heel spur. I also tend to walk on the outside of my feet causing extreme wear on the outside of the soles of my shoes. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pair of shoes?

Re: Shoes for Heel Spurs

monte on 4/29/03 at 07:54 (117327)

I wear Dunham Shoes. You can find them on any New Balance website. NB makes them with their technology. I also have a pair of Havana Joes. I got those from Zappos.com You can also get the Dunhams on Zappos.com too

Both shoes are Oxford style and accomidate an insole, if you need one. They are comfortable.

Hope this helps

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/30/03 at 14:05 (117439)

If you've already got a pair of Merrell's, I'd highly recommend purchasing a pair of PowerStep orthoses (full length). In my practice, my patients have had tremendous success wearing Merrell's with full length PowerSteps. This is a combination that I wear at the office and in the operating room and I think it's worth a try. You've already got the Merrell's, so for about $35-40 you may have a solution. Remove the insoles of the Merrell's and replace with the PowerSteps, it's usually an excellent fit. BY the way, I have no financial interest in Merrell or Powersteps, but I've found that they are both great products.

monte on 4/30/03 at 14:14 (117440)

Dr Wander

I have found these insoles that are very much like PowerSteps, except that they have a cushion lining on top that can really make them more comfortable for those with sensative arches...like me. I got them from http://www.Itsyoursole.com If you are curious, check them out and read about them. I am not affiliated with them. I just use them and ordered a couple more pairs.

What model of Merrells do you recommend. I may give it a shoe too.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/30/03 at 22:05 (117494)

I personally like the Jungle Mocs and prefer the models that have a closed back, instead of an open slide type back. I have a wide foot, and the Jungle Mocs have a pretty wide toe box. It's really a matter of personal preference and the way each model fits your foot. I personally find my Merrell's to be the most comfortable footwear that I own. I've got excellent running shoes by New Balance, Adidas and Asics and have the most comfortable soccer shoes (I coach and play soccer), but nothing can match the comfort of the Merrell's.

Brian C. on 5/01/03 at 07:49 (117520)

I would like to thank Monte and Dr. Wander for their suggestions. I appreciate your advice and will be checking out the solutions you have given.

Aly R. on 5/01/03 at 13:00 (117557)

I was really desperate, and am wearing 'Ambulators', a leather dress shoe that's made for diabetics with serious foot pain. They have more cushion in the heel than anything else I've seen. Bought them online at http://www.medical-supplies-equipment.net/ (search for Ambulator) for about $100. Prices range a lot, this is the cheapest I'd found.

Good Luck!!