Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel lifts?

Posted by dave r on 4/29/03 at 13:34 (117346)

Do heel lifts put a strain on the plantar fascia? I have had achilles tendinitis for a long time on my right foot. I just cant shake it. If i stretch it then i only end up having a flare up. I do have pf in my left foot and just recently pf surgery in my right. My right foot feels pretty good. My doctor said that i should try a 1/4' heel lift to help the achilles. I guess my question is will this put extra strain on the plantar fascia while taking it off of the achilles?

Re: heel lifts?

Richard, C.Ped on 5/01/03 at 09:23 (117534)

Hi Dave,
I think most of the time when heel lifts are added, they are just added under the heel only. I think this can create stress of the fascia due to the sudden 'drop off' of the heel lift. When I add a lift to an orthosis or inside or out side of a shoe, I always taper the lift to the met heads. This creates an even 'support' (for lack of a better word...must....have......coffee.....) and prevents a weak area. Geeze...I am having a hard time expressing what I am thinking.

Anyway...I hope this helps.