Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Remember me? Just checking in to say...

Posted by Valerie S on 4/29/03 at 16:19 (117368)

Hi to all my feet friends!

I have been thinking of coming back and posting for quite some time now, but to be honest, I have been afraid of 'jinxing' my progress by saying how well I have been doing!

So many things to say, but I am going to shy away from any claims of being 'cured' of my PF... heaven forbid that could ever happen! =; But I AM doing so much better. My feet get a little sore after a couple HOURS on my feet, but nothing like what they were a couple years ago!

I recently passed my 2 year anniversary of quitting my retail job, and to all those familiar names I still see here... YES! It's really been that long! Wow! I remember when I wondered if I would still be alive today! (kidding, but only a little!).

I am still wearing Birks, but am now able to walk a mile or two on occasion, and every time I walk on the beach (Lake Michigan), I think of Laurie R., and all the other wonderful people here who helped me pull through probably the most depressing time of my life. Without this message board, and all the people here, I don't know where I would be today... and I know it sounds trite, but it is so TRUE!

I don't plan to remain a stranger... I guess I just needed a break, to put my mind on other things... it was an amazing discovery when I realized I was no longer thinking about my FEET morning, noon, and night! I have even been caught barefoot around the house a couple times, even if only for a few minutes... but still wear the Birks 99% of the time.

I want to thank so many of you again... >:D< and you know who you are... Julie, Laurie, Nancy, Wendy, Brian, Steve, John, Tammie, Judy, and whoever else I didn't mention ... and to the people who are still here, encouraging and helping those lost 'soles' out there: I think you're a band of angels! 0:)

Am I seeing things, or are there Yahoo smileys in these posts? :-/ I am an emoticon junkie :-B and like these little faces very much. :D

@};- Val

Re: Remember me? Just checking in to say...

Sharon W on 4/29/03 at 16:28 (117372)

Hi, Valerie!

I remember you -- you're the one with the Toyota Echo, right? Do you still have that car? (Or do I have you mixed up with someone...)

Re: Toyota Echo

Valerie S on 4/29/03 at 16:41 (117373)

Yes! :> I drive a Toyota Echo... one of the remaining aggravators of my PF. I really love that car for 'out and about town' trips, but something about the way my leg has to bend to hold that gas pedal down on long trips... :(( ouch! I just get out and stretch a few times along the way.

Forgive me, but I don't remember either... do you have an Echo too? beep beep :)>-

@};- Val

Re: Toyota Echo

Sharon W on 4/29/03 at 17:02 (117375)

Yep, I have an adorable little silver Echo by the name of 'Misty' and I have the same problem with foot/ankle/calf pain when I drive her! :( I really think it's because she gets such GREAT gas mileage that I'm always pulling up on my foot to keep her from going too fast! (Zoom, zoom...) I do love that little car. :D But, it's a problem when I have to drive her for very long.

Have you taken any long car trips in yours? We are planning one in a month, a trip up to Washington State to settle my sister's estate. Since I will be the only driver (Ugh! My hubby has eye problems so he can't help) I will have to drive for a couple of hours, take a break, drive for a couple more hours, take a break, etc. We figure there's no way we can make more than 400 miles per day, doing that... :-?

Sigh. I'm glad to hear you're doing so well, Valerie! :)
I'm really happy for you. I'm doing a lot better, too, pain-wise, since my successful TTS surgery. :D

Well nice chatting with you! I hope we'll be seeing a bit more of you now, I wondered what had happened, and HOPED you'd disappeared because you're doing lots better. CONGRATULATIONS! =D>

Re: Toyota Echo and long trips

Valerie S on 4/29/03 at 17:12 (117378)

The absolute MOST I have driven in one day, was when I went downstate and back in one day... I think 3 hours there and 3 hours back... and I'll tell you what... not only was my FOOT sore, but my KNEE was also swollen. My husband is just a terrible driver, and refuses to learn to drive a stick shift... but he still deserves a medal for living with me through all this (of course, I am just as sweet as a peach the rest of the time ;))!

;;) Hey, nice smileys, by the way :D and thanks for the nice note! When is your trip? I'm glad your surgery went well... it is good to see success stories. (My Echo is absolutely red, 2 door, but has no catchy name like yours! hehehe) Driving someone else's car is weird... have to look through the steering wheel to see the dashboard dials :)) Almost makes me feel practical. :)

Thanks again, and have a great day! :D ... @};- Val

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/03 at 17:18 (117381)

Hi, Valerie! I'm glad to hear that you are doing so much better. :)

Carole C

Re: Toyota Echo and long trips

Sharon W on 4/29/03 at 17:33 (117382)

We plan to leave May 24th, and return June 10th. It will take 6 days driving to get there, as slowly as we will have to go... Even so, I'm not anyway.

Your 'absolutely red,' two door Echo sounds adorable! :x I imgaine it looks more sleek and sporty than my chubby little 4-door. But I'll bet they both have the same terrific large luggage space! :> And I really LIKE the way they designed the dashboard in the Echo, it's very practical.

Re: More disappearing words

Sharon W on 4/29/03 at 17:37 (117383)

That should have read, 'Even so, I'm not too sure about driving Misty that far -- but it's an obligatory trip so I'll do it anyway.'

I don't know why words seem to keep disappearing like that, I proofread my post before pushing 'post message' so it's a real mystery. :-?

Re: Val How could I forget a good friend

Tammie on 4/29/03 at 18:12 (117386)

Val, I am glad to hear your good news it is nice to finally see someone that we know that has had some good things happen for them! I so remember the time when you were leaving your job and then the relocating and such you were certainly put thru alot and surly deserve to have gotton your tootsies back!

You gave me a lot of help those days and we had so many good chats, that I am so very thankful to have met you and had you come into my life. I was Blessed when I somehow found my way here and met you and all of the wonderful people. I sure have learned alot also since those days. Val I am thrilled for you and am so happy things are working for you!

Suzanne D on 4/29/03 at 20:58 (117395)

Hi, Valerie! I remember you and your pretty colored Birks you wore in your sister's wedding and your Tupperware parties! :) How is that going? I am so glad to hear you are feeling consistently better. That is good news! I have thought of you many times and wondered how you were getting along.

Speaking of weddings, my older daughter got married April 5 and graduates from college May 10 with a teaching degree. I won't say any more as the people here have been patient with me but are bound to be tired of reading about it all! :'>

Please don't be a stranger!

Suzanne :)

Necee on 4/29/03 at 23:24 (117405)

Hey there Val, it's great to hear from you!
I wish you all the best, and hope you remember us here and come back for a visit from time to time.

Happy trails...

BrianG on 4/30/03 at 07:30 (117414)

Hi Val,

It's good to hear that you have made such good progress, we could all be so lucky. Take care of those heels!

Kathy G on 4/30/03 at 08:18 (117421)

Wonderful to hear from you and to hear of the wonderful progress you've made! I love hearing about your Echo. My husband spent over a year looking at cars and the Echo was one he considered. He finally ended up buying a Pontiac Vibe which is identical to a Toyota Matrix. It was a nice compromise between a pick-up truck and a sedan and he has been very happy with it so far. It gets about the same gas mileage as my Corolla which is good but nothing like the Echo. What a shame the car hurts your leg. That takes away all the fun of driving!

Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are. You give all of us hope!