Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bad Day at Black Rock

Posted by john h on 4/29/03 at 18:32 (117388)

The last few days have been lousy. I manage a large office buildine with mostly Doctors and Psychatrist or Psyschologist. My office is in the same building. Saturday night we had a break in and for doors were kicked in and compurters stolen. Sadly my new Mac G-4 was among them. The owner of the building has been going beserk causing me great stress. I had the Crime Scene Investigators out taking prints and the good thing about that is one of the CSI ladies looked exactly like Sandra Bullock. She should be on TV. I asked her where her Luminol was. Now Tuesday moring I am scheduled of all things for a Stress Test with a Cardiologist knowing I am going to probabably have to run up hill. I have not done this in five years. I arrive at my Cardiologist who was a very neat guy and a runner. Both him and his Nurse have PF and knew nothing about treating it. So I got to plad Doctor and tell them about all the good stuff we all know. He said he would call me back about ESWT which he had never heard of

If you have never had a stress test here is how it goes. You are hooked up to a bunch of electrocides on your chest (I do not know about Ladies) and some electronic device around your waste. The nurse then takes a bunch of reading on a machine along with current BP and Pulse. She then uses a device to view your heart (actually the Doctor is look at the heart in live action) I could see the monitor so he pointed out how everything looked and he said it was perfecto. Now it is time to hop on the treadmill. They start you off on a 10 degree incline and increase speed and incline to a very high incline. I ended up running rather fast. The nurse is taking your BP off and on as you run. The Doc is monitoring your heart rate and EKG as all this is going on. At about 10 minutes I was at about 160 pulse rate and he said I had far exceeded the expected or average. I told him I felt fine and could continue to run so he said go on then. After a few more minutes he said he had better things to do I was in great shape. Hard to believe after 8 years of PF and running for the first time in 5 years. He told me what ever I was doing to keep on doing it. He asked how much I drank which is about 1-2 glasses of wine per week. He suggested I have a glass of wine or a drink every day as it was very good for the heart. I said I can live with that!!! I think it wise for people over 50 to get a baseline Stress Test so if you ever have a suspected heart problem you have an EKG to compare it to and know exactly how your heart is functioning. I keep my cholesterol around 140 and I follow not strict diet although my wife does not keep much good stuff around for me to much on. Yogurt is the closest thing to desert around here. I hope to have my new computer (Mac of course) by Friday and I am switching to a Titanium G-4 Mac Laptop which will not longer stay in my office at night for the bad guys to steal. Fortunately I had everything backed up on an external hard drive. I will let you know how my feet are tomorrow as it is usually the next day when pain sets in if I do something stupid. At the moment they feel fine. Hasta Lavista baby.

Re: Bad Day at Black Rock

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/03 at 19:25 (117392)

John, I am so sorry to hear about your building being broken into. It really makes you wonder about humanity when things like this happen. How awful to have your Mac stolen! But you know, a good laptop can be a whole lot of fun, and you may find out that you like your new computer better anyway. You are so organized to have everything backed up. Me too, but my backups are a couple of years old. Guess it's time to do it again.

Good luck with your feet, and I hope they don't protest. I had a stress test in the late sixties, because my doctor detected a slight heart murmur and wanted to make sure my heart function was all right. It was.

My 94 year old mother has a glass of wine (or sometimes sherry) every day, and she's still going strong.

I sure would like cholesterol values like you have. Mary must be feeding you bean sprouts and granola. If I just LOOK at a hamburger, mine goes up to 250. I'll probably have to start on medication for it the next time I see my doctor.

Carole C

john h on 4/29/03 at 19:45 (117393)

Carole if your total chloesterol is around 250 you should take a hard look at Lipior on a regular basis. It not only lowers your chlesterol but your triglicerides and raises your HDL (good chlesterol). Further it does not jusg get your values in line but it actuall reverses plaque in the arteries. They seem to find other major benefits every day for this drug. It can generally cut you total cholesterol by around 45% with a typical does of 10mg a day. Over 6 million on it with few people having any side effects. Of course if with the 250 total chloesterol you have a high value of the HDL and your ratio is down you are still in good shape. My wife has a 250 total Cholesterol but her good HDL is over 80 giving her a ratio of under 3. Her Doctor said she would never have any problems with plaque as she probably had the genes for that high HDL.

john h on 4/29/03 at 19:50 (117394)

Carole since there is nothing but health food around our house I had a double whooper and fries Saturday but of course I countered that with a diet coke which surely helped.a lot.

Suzanne D on 4/29/03 at 21:07 (117396)

John, I had been worried about you as you hadn't posted in a few days, and I was hoping nothing was wrong. (You know the teacher in me: if someone is absent, I start worrying!)

I am very sorry about your computer being stolen in the break-in. It is so hard to deal with a theft. Our home was broken into several years ago, and it was a bad experience. After the shock and fear settle down, you feel angry - or at least I did. I am glad you had a back up for what you had saved on the computer. That was smart.

I'm very glad your stress test showed you were in good shape. After dealing with PF for years, that is a tribute to you that everything was fine. I hope your feet feel o.k. tomorrow.

And I hope things settle down for you in the next few days. Thanks for telling us what was happening with you. I was concerned.

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/03 at 21:29 (117397)

It is usually more borderline but was that high the last time. I'm pretty sure my doctor will want to put me on Lipitor the next time I see him, but I'm reluctant to get dependent on a medication. He doesn't like my good/bad cholesterol ratio, though, so I'll probably have to.

Meanwhile, I've actually learned to like eggbeaters. lol

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/03 at 21:33 (117398)

That sounds a lot better! Not so good for the cholesterol, but great for the junk food cravings.

I never drink non-diet soda any more, even if I'm eating fattening things, because it is just too sugary.

Carole C

Necee on 4/29/03 at 23:20 (117404)

Sorry to hear about all the bad news at Black Rock John. It's a shame you weren't there when the bad guys broke in.....heck, with the excellent shape your in.....you could have hog tied em' with one hand behind yer back.

Happy trails...

Necee

john h on 4/30/03 at 06:23 (117410)

Carole I have had at least three doctors tell me that millions of more people should be on Lipitor. You are not really drug dependant on the drug you either make the choice or not. If your ratio is not good and the desired is total cholesterol 200 or below I would sure discuss it with my doctor. I have three friends on it for years. Their cholesterol is now arund 120 using the minimum daily does of 10mg. Take with or without food as it has no problems for the stomach. It simply slows down production of cholesterol by the liver and more importantly if you currently have any plaque in your arteries actually will reverse the process. Many people are now taking this drug like the baby aspirin as a preventative measure. Also ups the HDL and reduces triglycirides. There are a couple of other good effects against other diseases now being reported also and it seem one may have been stomach or intestinal cancer. Also sroke.

john h on 4/30/03 at 06:27 (117411)

Suzanne: I promise to bring a note from home. I was just as concerned about my tenants problems as my own. I am now having video carmeras installed throughout the building. Office breaks in are now increasing at a rapid rate as the criminals have found them an easy target on weekends particularly as most offices are closed. In large office buildings it is easy to defeat most security measures other than on site guards.

BrianG on 4/30/03 at 07:26 (117413)

Hey John,

It's a good thing you wern't there when the bad guys broke in, they most likely had a gun! Anways, speaking as an old high tech security guy, they do make cable locks for both PC's and notebooks. The cable usually will go around part of your desk, which makes it really difficult to cart off. I spent many a night, going through offices to see if employees computers were locked down. if they wern't, we left them a note. If we caught them a second time, we noified their supervisors of the problems it would cause if the units were stolen.

And you know something, we were not worried about outside theft, it was other employees who were taking the equipment. Usually to cannabalize it, to fix their own stuff, as we had spending freeze's in place for years!!!!

Regards
BrianG

PS: A stress test on a treadmill would flare up my PF big time!!!!!

R C on 4/30/03 at 08:05 (117419)

John,

Being a fellow Mac user I cried a few extra tears for your loss. Keep the faith, brother. Bad guys always finish last.

Kathy G on 4/30/03 at 08:27 (117422)

Hi John,

I was worried about you. I was wondering if your feet had taken a turn for the worse or that Mary had gotten sick. Although it's a shame about the break-in, at least you are both all right. I'm really glad no one was there when it happened. Things can be replaced but people can't!

I can't believe how well you did on the stress test. I would be so stressed with the idea of what it would do to my feet that they would probably book me into a hospital based on the baseline readings! It's a testament to your exercise regime and overall good health that you did so well.

Although it was a hard way to get it, you'll have fun with your new computer. Glad everything turned out well!

Re: Carole re: Lipitor

Kathy G on 4/30/03 at 08:40 (117423)

My cholesterol has been borderline high for maybe the last five years. It became elevated when I had to stop regular exercise. My doctor has actually been champing at the bit to put me on Lipitor and seemed delighted that it was finally high enough to start me on it! He believes that everyone should be on one of the statins because the effects are so beneficial. He especially believes that women in the peri to postmenopausal years should be taking it. Since the indications are for high cholesterol, he couldn't justify putting me on it until my cholesterol was high enough.

Both my husband and I have a family history of high cholesterol. My husband has been taking Lipitor for three years and I've been taking it for a year. So far, neither of us have suffered any side-effects. One of my big fears was that some people experience muscle pain when they take it and with my history, I was afraid I'd be one of those people. But happily, I'm not. My cholesterol is lower but my triglycerides are still not where I want them to be. It's either diet or heredity and since I eat extremely well, (and not always willingly!), it has to be heredity. My husband's cholesterol is great. I have to believe, since his diet isn't as good as mine, that the fact that he exercises on a regular basis has to be one of the contributory factors.

Consider going on it the next time you have a physical. It's amazing stuff. Following the surprising findings on HRT last year, I saw a panel of doctors on PBS. Three of them said that in the next ten years, they believe that the indications for the statins will be changed to include women who otherwise would have been prescribed HRT.

Re: Zetic? Have you heard of this

Tammie on 4/30/03 at 13:28 (117435)

My hubby just had his done to and it was 350 I was a wreck as he took it like oh well I am not going to change my habits. I was freaking that he needed to get in to see his Dr. quicker as he has so many things that make him a risk for stroke or heart,He has had deep vein thromb in his arm ,Dad strokes and heart troubles very young early 50 mom to .

He has RArthritis so they are trying a new med for high chol. called Zetic, have you heard of it? I guess they want to try this as it does not affect the liver and since most of his meds for the RA are hard on his liver they need to be careful and use all percautions to use any meds they can that dont go there. He is on a trial with it, and me Like Mary , went thru the house throwing away junk food and giving sonm that moved out all the fatty stuff his dad loves so he did not eat it all as it would be ok if he would do 1 but he cant so out it goes , Then in he brings Ice cream,I dont know I need to find out Marys Tricks as this man is two darn stubborn and thinks he is fine. Since I have been ill I have not been cooking and I think he has been eating to much fast food. I have to get well so I can cook more I am trying to any ways.

Re: Bad Gun deal gone bad at our school

marie on 4/30/03 at 15:06 (117442)

Oh John, the crooks smashed your new G-4. I hope they catch the jerks.

We had 8 students that broke into a gun store and made off with about 50 guns. some were AK-47s. They tried to sell them at school the next day. Some kids that were wired by the police and most of the kids were caught. Now some of them have threatened our school and the students who told on them. We didn't even know about any of this. The police filled us in later after I noticed two pretty rough kids walk in the building just before the end of the day. they were going from class to class looking for someone. I went up and got our asstnt. principal and told him about it. He called the police. I asked him if he knew who they were looking for and he gave me a name. I knew what room the kid was in so I went to the classroom and shadowed him until he left the building. Now we are on lock down. It's a bit scary.

later marie

Sharon W on 4/30/03 at 16:07 (117448)

Marie,

That sounds VERY scary! What a terrible thing to have happen at your school! Teachers should get hazardous duty pay...

Sharon

Re: Carole re: Lipitor

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/03 at 16:28 (117450)

OK, I'll consider it, though I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to prescription drugs. BC/BS must love me since I have a prescription drug card, but don't use it. I probably wouldn't be so against them if the drug companies didn't charge so much for them. It just seems like a racket to me. Since I went off Celebrex I'm not on any medication at all any more.

I never tried HRT. My doctor didn't ask and I didn't bring up the subject.

I really need to change my attitude. My mother takes over a dozen prescription medications and she's 94. If she didn't take them she probably would not still be alive, I suppose.

Carole C (dragging my feet)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/03 at 16:33 (117451)

I never heard of Zetic. I tend to prefer to let other people be the guinea pigs when it comes to new medications, although Celebrex was fairly new when I first started with it and it worked very nicely for my arthritis. So maybe I should have a more positive attitude about new drugs. If/when I get the courage to make another appointment with my doctor, I suppose he will prescribe something.

Mary is good, but did you read John's post earlier? He said that he had a hamburger and fries last weekend. There's probably only so much that you can do.

Carole C (still dragging my feet)

Suzanne D on 4/30/03 at 16:37 (117452)

You're excused without the note, John! ;)

I imagine break-ins would be a big concern when you're managing an office building. I am thankful no one was hurt. The video cameras sound like a good idea. It's a shame such measures have to be taken, but they do. I remember when I was young and no one in our small town locked their doors unless they were going on a long trip. Everything wasn't better back then, but some things were!

Suzanne D on 4/30/03 at 16:46 (117453)

Hi, Carole! Are your feet still improving after the recent small setback? I hope so.

Not to sound like a fatalist about medical conditions, but the last time I had my cholesterol checked, the dr. wondered if I was a vegetarian (I'm not.) and proclaimed it to be so low that I didn't need to worry about it for years.

On the other hand, I have always been a milk drinker - 3 or 4 glasses of 2%milk a day - and yet my bone density test recently showed a pretty significant decline since the one done 3 years ago. It's still in the o.k. range, but pretty close to the bottom of it. I would have thought that I would have done well on that test since I have always loved milk and drunk it regularly.

Sometimes I think a lot just depends on heredity. Not that we can't do things to help ourselves, and we should. I'm like you, though, I've never been one to take much medicine. My last drop in the bone density test has made me a believer in taking calcium tablets daily. At least I'll try and see if that helps.

Hope you're doing well!

Suzanne D on 4/30/03 at 17:24 (117458)

I'm sorry your school is having to deal with this, Marie. It seems these things almost always happen at this time of the year, doesn't it? There was a school shooting in Kentucky a few years ago in the spring, and Columbine was around that time, too, I think.

At the end of my daughter's junior year of high school there was a big threat for the last day of school with a specified hit list, and the students were so scared. My daughter was away at the Ky Girls'State program at the time, but one of her friends called the night before the last day of school and just wanted to talk. His parents had gone to bed, and he said they didn't want to talk about it. He really needed to talk, so that's what we did. Thankfully, the threat didn't materialize, but I know it can really make for a scary atmosphere at school. There were police officers at the school all that day, and no one was allowed out in the halls except for changing classes.

Hope all goes well with you and your school.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/03 at 18:17 (117469)

I do think there's some truth in what you are saying about heredity, at least to some extent.

My doctor has never wanted to do a bone density test on me, probably because I'm so overweight and overweight people don't get osteoporosis as often as others. I don't think you'd ever hear a doctor recommending being overweight for that reason, though! :)

Doctors are always astounded to find out that I do not have high blood pressure, despite my weight and the fact that I'm more sedentary than a rock. I never have.

On the other hand, I don't want to do something stupid concerning my health. I'll probably end up taking more medicines eventually. I am just dragging my feet.

Speaking of my feet, they are MUCH BETTER today! I wore my New Balance to work without any orthotics and did just fine. I've been leading a pretty normal life this week, without seeking out extra exercise though I did go to SAMS last weekend. So, I think/hope that for all practical purposes they are better again. Following my self-imposed policy of 'Do LESS than you think you can do, not more!', I will still wait a few weeks or months before trying my exercycle again. That way I'll know for sure that my feet are not only feeling good but also have become strong.

Also, I have to remind myself that just a few days ago my left foot was giving me trouble. I guess it's time for me to be happy but ever vigilant and careful so that I stay pain free.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/03 at 18:26 (117470)

Suzanne, don't you live in the country or a small town in rural Kentucky? If school violence has hit your area, I guess we are all affected by it.

Just a couple of days ago, several teens were shot in one of the high schools here in New Orleans. Sadly, these things are becoming pretty common in large cities but I didn't realize they had spread so. A mother has to have nerves of steel these days.

And thanks for talking with that boy on the phone. It's good to know that he had you to talk to when he really needed somebody.

Carole C

Kathy G on 4/30/03 at 18:30 (117471)

Marie,

How awful! Lockdown - there was no such word when I went to school. Or when my son and daugher, 29 and 22, went to school. It's so frightening. We could get into a long, philosophical discussion about whey this is happening but as things are going really nicely on the boards these days, we'd better not.

I just fear for the future and wonder what kind of view children have of the world. Growing up, I never knew what it was like to be afraid. Of course, I lived in a tiny town. Well, high school was in a city of 50,000 so that's not so small. We had one guy in the school who was known to have a switch blade. People thought that was very scary and were afraid of him. I, being dumb and new to the school, had a study hall with him and struck up a conversation with him. (I know it must amaze everyone that I struck up a conversation, right?) Anyhow, we became not really friends, but acquaintances who said hello all through our high school years. He had some tough friends and they never made remarks when I walked by them or gave me a hard time which they did to some of the girls. For my part, he seemed like a nice enough guy. He ended up doing time - last I knew he was in prison for thirty years for assault and battery. Shows what kind of judge of character I am! But that's the only person I knew who even had a proclivity towards violence.

I hope everything calms down in your school soon. And yes, teachers are so incredibly underpaid for what they do that it's a sin!

Suzanne D on 4/30/03 at 19:38 (117476)

Yes, Carole, I live in the country, but the county we live in is one of the largest in Kentucky, having a lot of rural area as well as a large town - or maybe you could call it a small city. There are three high schools, and each has about 1500 students. That is a huge number by comparison to my little hometown high school which had maybe 450 students. Still there has been violence in the past few months in my hometown, so I guess there are no 'Mayberrys' left.

Schools have to be so wary when it comes to guns and weapons that our principal has actually told us to consider it a 'big deal' if a student mentions a gun or pretends to play with a gun. Can you imagine little 6 year old boys NOT running around on the playground pointing their finger and saying, 'Bang, bang!' as they play cops and robbers? And yet when they do, we have to talk seriously to them about never doing that again. Sometimes they look so puzzled. And then, sadly, sometimes they seem to understand why they cannot.

And our principal said that along with fire, sme4, and earthquake drills, there has been mention of having 'bullet drills' where students have to duck and cover. Sad. We have a code word that would let us know we much 'lockdown'.

I was glad to talk to the boy I mentioned. He just needed someone to listen. That seemed the least I could do.

Thanks for listening!

Suzanne D on 4/30/03 at 19:40 (117478)

Oops! I meant 'must' lockdown - not 'much'. I should have proofread before I posted! #-o

john h on 4/30/03 at 20:44 (117482)

Kathy: Greetings from my new Mac G4 Laptop. I just opened the box and am sitting in a chair. It is awsome. When I started the stress test I felt just like I did when the gun was fired to start a 10K. I was really fired up and ready to run. My feet are a little sore today but not bad and I was running on that treadmill at a very high incline. As steep as it could go and had my pulse in the 180 range but felt good and could carry on a conversation and really could have run at least another 10 minutes but I know the feet would suffer. It has been over 5 years since I ran that hard. I knew my mind and heart were ready but not sure about the feet. Nice to have a Cardiologist and Nurse who both had PF and kept asking me about my feet instead of my heart. Actually it was all sort of fun. I now know how you ladie feel when you get to look at your unborn baby on a screen as I got to watch my heart while I ran.

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D on 4/30/03 at 21:32 (117489)

I'm really glad your feet have already improved! =D> You are so sensible in your approach to taking care of your feet. You show lots of restraint and common sense.

I hope your recent problems will soon be just a dim memory.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/03 at 22:48 (117499)

Thank you so much, Suzanne! I hope so too! But you and I both know that this PF monster is hard to shake. I will be ultra-careful and maybe with any luck I will stay pain-free. :)

Considering how my feet got messed up after only a few days of riding my exercycle this time, I'm amazed that I had any feet left at all the first time! The first time I had PF, I kept riding my exercycle every day for at least TWO MONTHS after getting it. No wonder I was such a basket case.

It was great to wear my New Balance to work today, and they felt nice. :)

I hope your feet are still feeling better, too.

Carole C

Kathy G on 5/01/03 at 09:58 (117538)

Suzanne,

A matter of grave concern to my teacher friends is the procedure they carry out during their lockdown drills. (It gives me the chills to even think such a thing exists.) They are to draw the shades and the children are supposed to get beneath tables, as I remember it, not their individul desks. Then the teachers are supposed to lock the classroom doors. The problem is that the doors only lock from the outside so the teachers must go out into the hallway to lock the door. This leaves the poor children locked in a classroom with no reassuring adult. And, if heaven forbid, it was a real situation, logically the shooter would be out in the hall which would give him/her ready access to either shoot all the teachers or demand that they unlock their classrooms. Can you believe the stupidity of it?

Countless meetings with administration has not resulted in any change in the plan. My suggestion is that they allow the first graders to make up a plan. It would probably be more logical than the one they have in place! and it would be totally logical.

Kathy G on 5/01/03 at 10:00 (117540)

Please ignore the error - my mouse has a mind of its own!

Sharon W on 5/01/03 at 10:03 (117541)

Kathy,

How much would it cost just to put sturdy bar locks on the inside of the doors, so in a lockdown noone would have to go out into the hall? That would seem to make more sense than leaving those terrified children alone in the room while their teacher potentially puts herself in the line of fire by stepping out into the hallway.

I guess it's just not a high-priority expense to them...

Sharon

Re: John

Kathy G on 5/01/03 at 10:08 (117543)

I'm glad you like the new computer!

I was thinking about you last night (as I iced my feet) and wondering how you were feeling after the run. That's marvelous. And how interesting that both the doctor and the nurse have PF. I'll bet that few doctors ask their patients about their feet when they're having a stress test!

All those years of running must still be having an effect on your heart. Imagine, after five years of not running that hard, you were still able to do and carry on a conversation. It's amazing. Now I hope you don't get any ideas about going out for a daily run! Obviously the alternate exercise regime you are following is working out really well for your body. Good for you!

Happy Mac - ing!

Kathy G on 5/01/03 at 10:25 (117544)

Your idea sounds like a good one and I'll ask them if that was ever mentioned. One solution the teachers liked was the idea of putting a lock on the inside of the door, way up high, that even they would have to stand on a chair to reach. But they were told that a child might be able to reach it. I know we have some big kids but I've yet to see a six foot tall first grader.

Schools, in general, are a huge problem in our town. I used to regularly attend School Board meetings and can't tell you how many educational committees I've been on. At one time, I thought that once my kids were out of school, I'd run for School Board. Little did I know that I would be burnt out. I still vote but I don't go to the meetings any more. I've had some victories over the years. We saved a number of teachers from being RIF'd, stopped the board from firing a superintendent which would have been wrong along with the fact that it would have ended up with the town being sued, and over all, a group of us acted as a watchdog so that some of the more anti-education members of the board were unable to get the cutbacks in education that they wanted. I'm most proud of being among the group who got out the vote to approve the building of a new Middle School. We won by just a few votes. I'm most frustrated by the fact that I was among the group that lost the vote to set up a Cooperative high school. We lost by even fewer votes.

Well, I rambled as usual but you're all used to it!! As you gather, there was a time I was very active on school issues. These days, I'm just a member of the ZBA.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/01/03 at 11:04 (117548)

It's amazing that your high schools are so large. I guess I was thinking of the one room country schools, which are long gone. Maybe if schools were smaller, and classes were smaller, we wouldn't have these problems.

When they decided to have larger schools, they were probably thinking that larger schools can provide more facilities, services, and opportunities for the students, like a big library, gym, computers, special ed, and band. I prefer smaller schools.

Carole C

Re: news article

marie on 5/01/03 at 11:56 (117551)

http://www.kpcnews.com/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=46308&SectionID=17&SubSectionID=17

This link has the article about our school.

Sharon W on 5/01/03 at 12:19 (117553)

ZPA??

john h on 5/01/03 at 13:54 (117561)

no daily run for me Kathy. feet are ok today no big setback. i might just try a few laps around the soft track in the health club to see what happens. still messing with new laptop as I do not have it all down yet.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/01/03 at 14:55 (117563)

Don't forget it sometimes takes two days for the pain to set in after overdoing.

I hope you stay pain free, though!

Carole C

marie on 5/01/03 at 19:35 (117595)

Oh I know it's terrible that kids have so much anger and hurt in them that they would consider killing someone. We are in a very small town. We may have 50,000 in the summer when the tourists arrive but our community is less than 30,000. Sometimes kids need someone to listen to them...it's good you were there for that young boy Suzanne. I know the kids involved in this mess very well. I'd say 3 of them do not have a conscience. They'd just as soon slit your throat and laugh about it later...it's to late for them. Hopefully some time in an adult prison will wake them up.

One of the guns is still missing...it turned out that 20 guns were stolen and 18 of them have been recovered. I posted the article in our local paper below. We all have our doors locked. Like I said therse kids are without consceince. Can't wait until this year is finished.

marie

Suzanne D on 5/01/03 at 21:27 (117621)

I noticed today, Carole, that I was walking faster down the hallways at school. It was nice to realize that I could! But I looked around at my little first graders trying to keep up with me and realized that I had better slow down or else not complain that they were running! This new school has some long hallways, and when we are about late to lunch...#-o

Suzanne D on 5/01/03 at 21:31 (117623)

Me, too, Carole! Our little school of 200+ had some advantages that we'll never see in this nice, new school. It will have 600+ when the redistricting is complete for next year. It has already been very detrimental to my little boy with many special needs. He had settled down so much but is going the other way now. That has been quite stressful to me lately. He has these 'eruptions' in which he runs from me and has kicked, scratched, and hit a substitute teacher. He tried to trip me once.

I think I've written about that before, so I'll stop now before I embarass myself! #-o

Suzanne D on 5/01/03 at 21:54 (117625)

You know, Kathy, what you have written makes me realize that to lock the doors in our new school, one must also be outside the door and use the key! I hadn't thought of that before as we have not actually started having these lockdown drills. It is just being discussed. At my old school, I could lock the door by merely pushing in the doorknob from the inside of the door. With the new set-up, I would have to open my desk drawer, get out my keys, go the door, open it...In many ways I think my old school was safer: one hallway, two floors, one main door to enter. This new school is in a 'square' with the gym in the middle. There are many doors (which are supposed to be locked), but something could go on in one hallway without our knowledge down another hallway. I felt very secure in the old building with the office right down the hall and the gym on the other side of me. Our PE teacher is a big guy and quite fit, and I knew he could handle anything that came up and would see anyone who entered the building.

So much for progress...

Suzanne D on 5/01/03 at 21:58 (117626)

'kids without a conscience...' That says a lot. And I see some 6 and 7 year olds who are on their way to that condition. It's so sad and frustrating. I try to help and halt the process, but sometimes I feel like I am trying to stop a semi truck going down a hill with my bare hands!

I had better stop for now. I am sounding too negative.

Thanks for listening.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/01/03 at 22:42 (117633)

What fun to be able to walk fast like that! :) This new school could have been awful for you, a while back. I'm so glad that your feet healed as much as they have before you had to deal with those looooooooong hallways and hard floors.

I was so tired after work today that I fell asleep from 5:30 to 8 PM. I don't even know how I got to the bedroom, because the last thing I remember was watching the news out in the living room. I had pleasant dreams about work, but I feel like I never left. My feet definitely got their rest! LOL

Carole C

Re: news article

Kathy G on 5/02/03 at 08:28 (117649)

Thanks for posting the article, Marie. I hope you have a wonderful weekend! You deserve it after the terrible week you've had! It's a very sad commentary on our society that these kinds of happenings are becoming more and more frequent.

Re: Sharon

Kathy G on 5/02/03 at 08:53 (117650)

The ZBA, Sharon. I forget how small-town we are here. It stands for the Zoning Board of Adjustment. We're the board that people come to when they need special exceptions or variances for buildings that are not in keeping with the current zoning laws. Like, say you want to put an addition on to your home, but you will be 10 feet from the side property line. Our zoning ordinances say you cannot build any closer than 15 feet from that line. You come to us for relief; a special exception, in this case, and get permission to 'break' the law and build closer. The applicants' projects have to meet certain criteria in order to be granted variances or special exceptions. While the regulations are in black and white, we deal in a lot of gray area and we sometimes turn down requests and make people angry but we try to be fair.

I was on the board for ten years, actually vice-chairman and chairman for several of those, until 1991 and when I joined the Board of Trustees for the Library. After a hiatus of ten years, I rejoined the ZBA last year.

It used to be very enjoyable but I can't say that it is this time around. During the ten years I was previously on the Board, we had many members who totally disagreed with each other on many issues, but we were polite and civil toward one another and the applicant. On the current board, we have two people (there are 5 on the board) who take things very personally. And one of them is quite rude to the petitioners. I really enjoy zoning but I am not sure I'm going to stay on the board since I am embarrassed by his conduct.

That's the way it goes!!

Re: Kathy G

Sharon W on 5/02/03 at 12:39 (117665)

Thanks for explaining. It certainly sounds like the ZBA performs an important service to your community. I hope you'll decide to stay with it, because with someone like that rude guy on the board, it is actually MORE important to have someone like you around; you obviously have the diplomatic skills that are needed to smooth things over after this other guy ruffles everyone's feathers!

Sharon

Re: Sharon

john h on 5/02/03 at 17:29 (117700)

Kathy: As one who is in commercial real estate developement you must be my mortal enemy. We have all the unzoned land we would like to zone C-3 or O-3 and there is always some group who show up at the City Board of Directors meeting to oppose any rezoning we try. Our latest big battle was a super Wallmart that wanted to locate in a very high end golf course communnity. Wallmart won out as you know they are an Arkansas Company. This will be like no Wallmart you have ever seen. Brick front like a high end store in a forested area. Seems like I spend at least a day a week down at the zoning commission.

john h on 5/02/03 at 17:32 (117701)

Suzanne: My first grade class had 12 students and I remember ever one of them including Peggy Savage my first heart throb who stabbed me in the arm with a pencil. The lead in my arm still shows to this day. I should never have pulled her pigtell.

Kathy G on 5/02/03 at 18:29 (117704)

Oh, it's really hard sometimes, John. When I was chairman of the Board, we had a large supermarket come in for a variance. Actually, it was so long ago, maybe it was a Special Exception. Anyhow, they wanted to put a commercial enterprise in an Industrial Zone. We approved their application. The Planning Board, our own board here in town, threatened to take us to court, saying that we had acted erroneously. There was a huge hearing; standing room only. We stuck to our guns and they backed down. Their chairman had an interest in the railroad and the tracks ran behind the site and he was hoping an industrial firm would buy the land and he would get business out of it. Old Bigmouth here alluded to that fact when he brought up the subject of bribes! Really, like this market had bribed us!

I've always been known as the swing vote on the Board. I never predict how I'm going to vote because I never know what may come up in a hearing. So I might be a member you actually like!!

As for Walmart, my nephew, who passed the bar last year was telling me that Walmart's legal division has all the arguments figured out way before they even purchase a piece of land. Then they go in and blow away all these little local boards. One of the firms he interviewed with was one of their counselors. We had a Walmart go in near us on top of an aquifer! How that happened, I'll never figure out!

All I can say is, I keep saying I'm available for a bribe but I've never even been offered one! That stupid supermarket chain didn't even bring coffee and doughnuts to the meeting!!

The conduct of the two board members drives me crazy but I really do enjoy the process. Controlled growth is so important and you have to be fair to the business as well as the residential community. I can't decide if I'll resign or not. The most abrasive person was recently appointed for another 3 year term. Of course, in the twenty-three years I've lived here, they've only turned down one person. No one wants to be on a ZBA!