Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Wendyn

Posted by Kathy G on 4/30/03 at 08:51 (117425)

Has the snow melted? Have you recuperated?

Re: Wendyn

wendyn on 4/30/03 at 13:12 (117434)

Kathy - the snow is almost gone. Thankfully - it melted slowly so we didn't have flooding problems like we could have. The snow was so heavy and wet that it actually looked blue.

I survived the sleep-over - and it actually went really well!!

Tammie on 4/30/03 at 13:33 (117436)

Personaly I think boys are alot easier to have over then girls, although they can really get worked up and are rowdy , did your house survive with no accidents? Lol seemed that was the thing that really would get me something always got broke as the boys like to play ball!

Even my warnings of balls in house, upon deaf ears ,it reminded me of a time my eldest who is 21 broke a frame in Living room I never noticed till many years later in fact when he left for college and thought it was a great joke how he got away with that one.

I rather have a house full of boys then girls, I am expierancing teen daughter and her friends oh my take me back to my boys. I am glad you survived! And that you are all in one piece .

wendyn on 4/30/03 at 17:08 (117455)

Tammie - I'm so used to little boys - not sure WHAT I would do with a house full of little girls.

Nothing was wrecked - and they were sound asleep (and snoring) by 11:00!

Re: Difference between boys and girls

Kathy G on 4/30/03 at 18:15 (117467)

Tammie,

I feel your pain! And I had a wonderful daughter who wasn't as prone to moodiness and theatrics as many of her friends. My son is 29 and my daughter is 22. They have very different personalities but the bottom line is that the differences between boys and girls is like night and day. When I used to say this, my sister-in-law, who has two girls used to think I was being sexist. She now has a grandson and she keeps remarking that she can't believe the things he does. Things her girls would never do, like climbing up the back of the lazy boy chair and the list goes on and on. But you're right. Boys are more physical and you can deal with that and even expect it. Girls have feuds; girls have moods; girls can just drive you crazy! Girls take three hours to get ready to go out and then they wear an outfit for thirty minutes and put it in to be washed!

Thankfully for me, my daughter wasn't as prone to all the moods and feuds but she drove me crazy fixing her hair, her makeup, her clothes, her everything! It was nice that she wasn't moody but that's not to say that there weren't times when she would look like she was going to cry when I said a mildly cross word to her.

How old is your daughter? Is she involved in sports? I think that helped my daughter and me keep our sanity as there were always games and practices and she had to be pretty organized. Not that she was organized in school, but that's a subject for another day. She's currently a senior at UNH and doing well scholastically so even that took care of itself.

Another thing about having girls is that you can't help but worry about them when they go out. My son had a car and so did my daugher. They were both very good about telling me where they were going and they always called if they were going to be late. But there's always that little extra anxiety when a girl goes out, even with friends and I always was relieved when she came home. Thank God for cell phones as they gave me a little extra peace of mind.

So, I know what you're going through and this too shall pass!

Re: Wendy

Kathy G on 4/30/03 at 18:16 (117468)

Glad it all went away and you had no flooding. That's always the concern with these crazy storms. Glad the sleep-over went well! Your son can tell his grandchildren about the blizzard on his 10th birthday in 'aught-three!'

Tammie on 4/30/03 at 20:27 (117480)

She is 14 And driving me insane! Moody is that a strong enough word> Dramatic yes , nice, no caring,no sweet, no helpful , no leave her alone is a big yes and then it will be dont you care about me. Somedays i just close my eyes and say I can do this keep calm and let her spout and then calmly ask her if that is all? Oh my she is angry at the world but no not really in fact it is my fault lol just like everything If I had done this or that then she would be this or that or I am sure you have the jist of it. She is one strong woman and Lord help the man that tries to help her with anything, because she thinks she can do it without anyones help and especially a guys of course if he is cute then it may be different. Whew she wears me out just thinking about her.

I try my best but I am not sure there is a best with this young lady. My hubby says he will have to warn the poor fellow who looses heart to her, because she will chop it tenderise it and use it and twist it and turn till it is exactly how SHE wants it. That is my daughter, and Lord knows she is nothing like her mom, but maybe a tiny bit with the stubborness,and maybee a bit of the I can do it leave me alone. lol Yes I shall survive I think.

carynz on 4/30/03 at 20:51 (117484)

heh wendy

my god I can't believe (yes I can) you guys had 65cm of the white stuff. Remember that big snowstorm we had in July one year, I had to dig my car out of the driveway about 4 ft, deep. I do miss the snow, but not the cold weather anymore. My parents left for England on Saturday and their flight and the one to Frankfurt were the only 2 that AC let out as it would have cost them another arm and 2 legs to keep the people overnight in Calgary. I saw in the Vancouver Sun today that the roof of the Co-op at North Hill center collapsed with all the weight of the wet heavy snow, good thing Co-op wasn't having $1.49 day!!

I've been reading some of the posts but not posting anything because there is really nothing new. I'm the same, the new neuro did not want to do a bone density scan but did do another nerve block injection (I hate those things) so I am realizing now that I am doomed to live with this thing and life goes on so....

So the Flames are out, Toronto is out, Detroit is out, Colorado is out, Ottawa is leading so far and the good old Canucks are holding their own with some good hockey. We aren't Canuck fans so don't know who to cheer for anymore. We didn't count Edmonton either..ha ha

We are finally having our wonderful west coast weather, it has been in the low 20s the past (celcius for our american friends) number of days and the first cruise ship came into port at Canada Place last Friday so the season has officially kicked off for Alaska once again. The tour buses are in abundance on the highway and people are out everywhere in their shorts. I dug mine out yesterday.

Hope all is well for you

cheers
carynz

Re: mothers of teenaged girls

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/03 at 22:40 (117498)

Teenagers are horrid like this so that their mothers' hearts don't QUITE break when they leave home a few years later, and so that the teenager herself can bear to leave the nest. That's my theory, anyway.

Christina and I were constantly at odds when she was 14. That's putting it mildly. She would NOT clean her room, she would NOT do her homework, she was disrespectful and insulting, but at the same time she had many good qualities. I loved her dearly so it drove me nuts.

The summer she turned 18, she moved to an apartment three blocks from home that she shared with a long time girlfriend. She worked while going to college to pay for it.

As soon as she moved out, we became much closer and all of those teenage problems vanished. She actually kept her apartment spotless and got straight A's. She decided I was neither a complete idiot nor 'out of it', and I began to realize that she was not only my dear sweet daughter but also had a lot more of the qualities and values that I had been trying to instill, than I knew.

Carole C

Sharon W on 5/01/03 at 08:52 (117529)

Carole,

I agree completely. As the mother of 4 girls (the youngest is 18) I think I've been through just about every emotion there is(!) while trying to survive their adolescence! They can REALLY try one's patience, and sometimes you have to remind yourself that inside she is still the same beautiful, loving daughter who brought you breakfast in bed at the age of 8.

But, it's worth it in the long run. Our daughter #2, Linda, is just graduating from college (a double major with honors, Phi Beta Kappa) and has been working 2 jobs to help us pay the bills. She has been accepted into her choice of masters' program, and has been dating the same very nice young man for almost two years now -- I hope they'll get married someday, because they would make beautiful grandchildren together.

But there was a time when, as an adolescent, I was terrified because Linda seemed determined to squander all her intelligence and abilities. She would never do more than the minimum amount of study before going off to hang out with her friends (her real priority). She wasn't into drugs or anything, but I REALLY didn't like some of her friends... And she would answer me back very sharply when I told her she needed to clean her room or whatever, then talk to her friends on the phone about how 'stupid' her mom was... :(

Thank goodness they DO grow up, and most of the time the people they turn out to be are quite delightful! :x

Sharon

Kathy G on 5/01/03 at 09:44 (117535)

My daughter could never push my buttons as well as my son could. Between the ages of 12 and 16, he was the most obnoxious person who ever walked the earth - to me. His teachers and friends and their parents loved him! He would get me so angry that I would just leave the house. My daughter, who is 7 years younger, remembers many a ride we took just so I could cool down enough not to kill him. By the time he was eighteen, he was the nicest guy in the whole world and still is. But man, those were tough years!

With my daughter, our biggest problems were over her lack of interest in school. She goofed off during her entire high school career. She made it into college through the back door, having to start out in an associates program before entering the four-year program, and will have to go one extra semester in order to graduate. It was music to my ears the first time I heard her say, 'You were right about high school.' I figure the Lord gave me so much grief with my son that he spared me a bit with my daughter!

Bev on 5/01/03 at 09:47 (117536)

Wow, Sharon, 4 girls :) We have 2 girls and 1 boy and we had our hands full :D Sure do remember how dumb we were when they were teenagers, we knew nothing back then, but did we get smart as they got older :) You sure do have a lot to be proud of in Linda , you did really great raisng your girls :) All of our children graduated college however none went on to masters. I wish they would have, but they went on to jobs and marriage and families instead. We are all small town people with very small town needs and jobs . We are going to Dr. Dobson's video series of classes on 'Bringing Up Boy's'. Really great video series, being lead by our pastor. We are learning so much, and our kids who have boys are going too. I am learning a lot about men too(and I thought I knew it all by now, haha) , and grandsons. It is a fun series. Last nights video was questions most asked by grandparents. Dr. Dobson also talked some about first grade boys in school ( for Suzanne ) really some interesting things. So those out there with boys or grandsons might want to read his books or get his cassette tapes or view the video series.
Have good day everyone :)

marie on 5/01/03 at 19:51 (117597)

I have two boys and a classroom full of teens ages 14-19. I have found that the many of the girls get a desease I refer to as 8th grade snottitis. Most of them are cured by the time they hit the ripe old age of 16. The senior girls and I spend alot of time reminising about their first years in high school and they readily agree that they had the desease. At least we can laugh about it now. They do do grow up and turn into wonderful people. Sometimes the seeds you planted as a parent don't start growing until after they move out...just keep planting those seeds some day they will take root. I've been watching it happen for thirteen years. The one thing I like about this board is the fact that you all seem to take an interest in your kids....it's so important. Hats off to you! ;)

marie

Suzanne D on 5/01/03 at 21:16 (117619)

Hi, Bev! James Dobson makes a lot of sense, doesn't he? I've read some of his books in the past and listened to his radio broadcast.

Thanks for thinking of me in regard to the first grade boys!

Suzanne :)

Suzanne D on 5/01/03 at 21:24 (117620)

That's funny, Marie, about the 8th grade girls' disease! It's funny because for years I have talked about the 'second grade girls' virus'! In KY we have what is called 'ungraded primary' and for years we had combinations in our room of 1st, 2nd, 3rd graders. Now we are more back to 'first grade', 'second grade', but for several years I had a 1st/2nd grade room. Around about the spring of the year, the 2nd grade girls would get this 'virus'. They would tattle and bicker and divide up and fuss with one another - especially in the bathroom.

In desperation one year, I lined up all the girls and told them they were going to be vaccinated against the 2nd grade girl virus! I pulled out a marker and pretended to give them each a shot, rolling up their sleeve, and making a big deal of it. Of course they got tickled and forgot to be mad at one another for awhile. The boys begged to be 'vaccinated', but I would tell them that boys didn't catch it. The first grade girls could get it from the 2nd grade girls, so they had to be included.

After that, whenever one of the girls started being snippy, someone was sure to pipe up and say, 'Uh, oh...It looks like the virus is back!' :)

I guess these are all stages they go through. But I have to admit, although I have two daughters and no sons, I would rather deal at school with an unruly boy than a snippy little girl. Somehow I am more patient with the boys. And they don't hold grudges as much. That's been my experience, anyway.

Suzanne :)

marie on 5/02/03 at 10:39 (117658)

You're so right about boys not holding grudges. When girls fight they seem to hold grudges fore-v-e-r. The boys can throw punches at each other in the morning but they'll give each other a ride home at the end of the day.

I like the second grade girls virus. Second graders are notorious tattle talers. God bless second grade teachers.[-o<

marie

Bev on 5/02/03 at 12:48 (117668)

God Bless All Teachers !! I give them all a blue ribbon. It is a job I could never do . I had all I could do to teach Sunday School and Bible School , Wow. I surely give all of you teachers a big hand =D>