Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Doctor or others

Posted by kay on 4/30/03 at 10:13 (117428)

I will try to keep this short.
I have had trouble with my feet since I was 19, I am now 47.
at age 39 I went to my first foot doctor, ended up with epf surgery.
It did't work. Last year I had open pf and tt surgery. Didn't help a bit, now I have nerve pain.
Ok here is the big problem. I worked for 16 years in a factory. Before my surgery the doctor said I should find a sit down job because of my feet, I shouldn't go back. I then had surgery, 6 months later he sent me to a pain doctor and a month ago I sent him disability papers from my factory. This is NOT Social Security. It is to collect my early pension for being disabled from the job I did for all those years.

When I got the papers back in the mail he filled them all out except for one crucial part. On the papers it ask.....Is the applicant disability total, permanent and continuous. Then the doctor must check yes or no. He didn't check either.....Then it says if yes, when did the disability begin and he put the date it began! So I thought it was an error. I called the clinic and they said since I am now seeing the pain doctor that is the doctor who would decide that...I ask my pain doctor and she said no she didn't do the surgery etc the ortho should do it. NOW WHAT?
I can't stand for more than 10 minutes without suffering. My life is ruined because of my pain and now I have to figure out what to do on this as I have no support from a doctor. I cry everytime I think about it. If he won't fill this out for me I will lose my pension and benefits I have worked for all these years.
My husband and I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to see him. I am sure he has no idea. What should I say to him? Help.

Re: Question for Doctor or others

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/03 at 15:23 (117444)

It is a bit hard to know where to start. It is possible that you need to go for an independent medical examination to verify the extent of your disability and perhaps may need the assistance of an attorney who specializes in disability.

Take the time to thoroughly study this site including Scott's Heel Pain Book to see if the treatment you had followed a course similar to that outlined. If PF is still a big factor ESWT may help.

Re: Question for Doctor or others

kay on 4/30/03 at 22:51 (117500)

Thank you, when I see him tomorrow if he does't want to do the right thing I will request that.

Re: Question for Doctor or others

Dr. Z on 5/01/03 at 06:01 (117514)

He did the surgery . He must give his opinion and fill out the form completely

Re: Question for Doctor or others

Linda on 5/01/03 at 06:20 (117515)

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. I would find a Lawyer who specializes in Disability.
I also had tts/fascia release,and i also have pain after about 15 minutes of weightbearing. I have a great Podiatrist,though,and I will be getting E.S.W.T. Treatments in June. The Physical therapist i had said he heard nothing but praises from patients with both surgeries,then having eswt treatment done.
I hope you get some kind of resolve,and you should inquire about ESWT. Maybe it could be an option for you?

Re: Question for Doctor or others

kay on 5/01/03 at 11:35 (117549)

I've tried everything except the ESWT. My insurance won't pay for it, I checked and I am broke, I've been out of work for a year and ran out of sick pay.
I don't know what I am going to do. I am seeing my doctor this afternoon, if he won't check that one box for me I don't know what to do. How do I get to a independent doctor? Do I ask my doctor for one?