Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

walking properly

Posted by athena on 4/30/03 at 20:35 (117481)

hi everyone! i was just wondering about walking 'properly'. apparently you're meant to land on the outside of the heel and then roll until your entire foot is on the ground. But if i have pain in my heel from PF, should i still try and walking properly (by landing on the heel)?? at the moment i'm walking by landing more on the front of the foot, which isn't a good solution long term.

has anyone tried altering the way they walk? did it help??

cheers

Re: walking properly... better than walking improperly

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/03 at 21:43 (117491)

Athena:
Trying to alter one's gait to avoid pain often leads to other problems. People with heel pain often sprain their ankle since they may avoid making solid heel contact. Some walk on theo utside of their feet making that area sore. Walking on the toes can strain the achilles tendon and back of the leg.
Ed

Re: walking properly

Necee on 4/30/03 at 23:44 (117507)

When my heel pain was at its worse, I would walk on the side of my foot to keep from putting pressure on my aching heel.....boy was that a big mistake! I started having ankle problems as well as a sore back.
I recommend that you find some good support shoes, and begin a therapy program that works best for you. Try to limit your walking as much as possible, and rest those feet. PF doesn't go away over night, it's going to take a long time, but hang in there.....I'm doing much better now, so there is hope!

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: walking properly

Ellen J. on 5/01/03 at 15:41 (117572)

I found that altering my natural gait caused the pain to be prolonged, unfortunately. What happened with me is that I limped around, and that limping strained my achilles. Now when I have a slight relapse I try not to think about my feet when I walk so that I won't alter my gait. However, that's much easier said than done whe you are in alot of pain, as it sounds like you are.
Would some soft gel heel cups help you? Some of the sports stores have them. Don't use them if they make your feet feel worse though (if you decide to try some).
Sorry your foot hurts so much! I know what it feels like--ouch! Depressing too. But you will feel better if you can rest your feet.
Ellen

john h on 5/02/03 at 08:09 (117646)

ed: I often think bi-laterial PF starts this way. I started with PF in only one foot but kept running. I think I altered my gait and foot strike leading to bi-laterial PF.

Sharon W on 5/02/03 at 12:43 (117666)

John,

I agree, but I would add that sometimes PF in the other foot can be caused, or exacerbated, when the 'bad' foot is treated by putting it in a cast or cam walker. That happened to me. The cast did help my 'bad' foot, but then I had to baby the 'other' foot for a while to get over the PF flareup!

Sigh...

Sharon
:(PIPE)

john h on 5/03/03 at 10:35 (117733)

I never went the route of having my foot put in a cast or cam walker. My doctor and I discussed it but I did not like the idea very much.