Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks suddenly causing pain ?anyone else had this

Posted by peter f on 5/01/03 at 03:11 (117512)

Dear friends,

I have worn my Arizonas with no problem for a year-suddenly they are starting to cause pain on the medial side of the foot just before the big toes-it seems above the pl fascia -more in the muscle-I have been wearing them a lot recently eg all day so that may be the reason but they are my only comfortable shoe and I dread not being able to use them.Has anyone else had a temporary set back like this ?? (it seems like the last straw this morning)

Peter f

Re: Birks suddenly causing pain ?anyone else had this

Aly R. on 5/01/03 at 13:08 (117558)

Could it be they're worn out and not giving you the support you need?

Suzanne D on 5/01/03 at 20:59 (117614)

Peter, something like what you describe happened to me last summer. I had worn Birks for almost a year, and then it seemed that all of a sudden they just felt so uncomfortable. I couldn't figure it out, and I still don't know the answer. But after about 3 months (I wore SAS shoes with Birk inserts during that time.), I had an allergic reaction to the Caladryl lotion I used on some poison ivy on my big toe (Never knew how I got that -especially since I wasn't wearing sandals.). I HAD to wear the Birk sandals to let that heal. After about 2 or 3 days, the Arizonas felt much more comfortable. Now I alternate - Arizonas, Birk Annapolis, SAS shoes with inserts. It seems that I do better when I don't wear the same shoes day in and day out.

Perhaps you can try wearing your Arizonas with socks around the house, and also, do try alternating with perhaps another pair of Birks. Do you wear any orthotics with another type shoe?

I DO understand the frustration you are experiencing!

Suzanne :)

peter f on 5/02/03 at 03:00 (117640)

no they are still in good shape but thanks

peter f on 5/02/03 at 03:06 (117641)

Thanks-I think I may know the answer-I have been doing toe curl exercises to excess (eg 300 a day)-I think the muscle that is inflammed (just before the big toe on the medial edge foot(abductor hallicus) has at least some function during toe curls and perhaps that is being overused-will stop them for now-I also got achilles tendonitis from over stretching-you begin to wonder if you have some rheumatic disease process going on but I,m sure that our treatment of PF stresses other areas of the foot which causes new depressing symptoms

Regards

peter

Suzanne D on 5/02/03 at 10:59 (117660)

You are probably right, Peter. It is certainly easy to fall victim to that old thought, 'If a little helps, then a lot will be even better!' when it comes to stretching. With PF taking so long to heal, it is hard to be diligent - yet not push too hard.

Good luck to you! I hope this new pain subsides quickly.

Suzanne :)

'Shelley F. on 5/02/03 at 19:30 (117707)

Yes, my Birks used to help so much, but now they hurt! Any advise on sandals that feel good?

carmen h on 5/06/03 at 08:43 (117895)

Mephisto sandles are good.