Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back for a visit and an update

Posted by Jason M on 5/01/03 at 15:24 (117567)

I don't know if any of you remember me, but I used to post a couple years ago and I thought I'd surf back over here and say thanks to anyone who ever gave me advice or support. My recovery has been nothing short of a miracle in my opinion. A few years ago I had PF in both feet so bad that I was on crutches for 6 months and had to crawl to the bathroom at night. Well, after a long healing period I finally got my life back. As a matter of fact, I just won my first professional mountain bike race last Saturday and I'm scheduled to compete in a major adventure race this fall. There was a time when I honestly never thought I'd ever be able to run or do anything active again. I thank God (and many others) for helping me overcome PF. Hang in there guys. Try everything until you find something that helps and take things one day at a time. Try to be active even if it's an inconvenience, go to the pool, physical therapy, or whatever. Never give up.
God Bless,
Jason M

Re: Thanks for encouragement - how did you get better?

Dan D. on 5/01/03 at 18:05 (117581)

Hey Jason,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have had pf for 6 years now and have spent most of those 6 years on crutches. I tend to improve very slow and gradually and then have a setback followed by a long, very slow gradual improvement and have another setback. The process has repeated itself over 6 years now. This week I experienced another setback which
has left me quite discouraged. I used to be quite active in surfing and other activities. Now I can ride a bike and swim, but no walking or sports. Anyway, your encouragement to never give up came at the right time and after reading so many discouraging reports on this discussion board, it was good to hear a success story. What did you do to get better?
Any advice for me - both in physical treatment and in maintaining a positive attitude through it all?

Dan

Bev on 5/01/03 at 18:54 (117593)

Dan D.,
Have you had ESWT? If so, where have you had it done?

Re: Back for a visit and an update

marie on 5/01/03 at 19:55 (117598)

Jason,

Thanks for stopping in to let us know how you are doing. I don't know you but I too have had a reasonably good recovery. It just takes time and patience. I plan on swimming much more this summer...I ran about ten feet yesterday and was thrilled. Thanks again.

marie

marie on 5/01/03 at 19:57 (117599)

Dan,

I have had to crawl to the bathroom so I know how frustrated you must be, especially after six years. What has your doctor done to help you?

marie

Re: I've tried many things!

Dan D. on 5/01/03 at 22:07 (117628)

Marie,

Well, I've had cortizone shots, night splints, lots of physical therapy and massage, four different orthotics, plus I've been casted for six weeks, lots of anti-inflammatories and stretching exercises and even tried an alternative treatment called proletherapy (which was extremely painfu).
I haven't done EWST. I am considering surgery but not sure. Did you get better? If so, how?

Dan

SteveG on 5/01/03 at 22:36 (117632)

Dan - consider ESWT before you even think about surgery. The surgery does not have a very high success rate and you run the risk of complications.

Jason M on 5/02/03 at 10:33 (117655)

Hi Dan, I understand what you mean about the 'setbacks'. I had several myself. Each time I seemed to get a little better something would go wrong and I'd be in pain again. My advice is to be very careful and very patient. I ALWAYS wear shoes or Birks, always, even in the shower. One time I was doing pretty good and I walked out onto the patio barefoot and boom, just like that I was in pain again, major setback. PF is such a horrible thing, it is different for everybody and what worked for me may not work for anyone else. Here's what I think helped me the most:
1. Weight loss (get skinny and take the excess weight off your feet, I know this is hard for most people, but I don't think I would've ever got better at my old weight)
2. Proper footwear (after buying a billion shoes, I finally found a pair of old timberland boots that were just right for my feet, along with my birk sandals and my NewBalance w/orthotics, I had 3 pairs of shoes that I could wear on most any occasion)
3. Rest/Stretching (Get a sit down job and don't be on your feet unless absolutely necessary, stretch religiously but lightly. I was overstretching for the longest time, I finally perfected the art ;)
4. Activity (swim, row, do upperbody weights, pushups, situps, basically do anything you can that doesn't involve you feet. Get your heartrate up, keep you muscles stretched and your body limber, it's inconvenient but it can be done)

These are the things that I really think helped me the most. I tried night splints, physical therapy, pills, rubs, massages, magnets, inserts, and tons of other stuff. Finding the right combination of treatments is the hard part, and of course keeping your spirits up is essential.

Jason M

Dan D. on 5/02/03 at 19:46 (117712)

Jason,
Thanks for the tips. Your comments on finding the right footwear is interesting as my massage therapist recently encouraged me to buy two pair of shoes and switch each day. She said that soft tissue can get into a rut and new shoes can really help break them out of the rut. (I do always wear orthotics). So, I bought two new pair of shoes (both Rockport -one an athletic type, the other made of leather and a little sturdier). This did wonders for my feet - for about two weeks then I had another setback.
Anyway, I'm wondering if I should keep searching for those right shoes. That can get expensive. Anyway, your message has inspired me to keep looking and trying to find the solution that's just right for me. Thanks so much!

Dan D. on 5/02/03 at 19:49 (117713)

Thanks, Steve, I was just reading in Readers Digest today that ESWT has recently been approved by the FDA. Right now I think I simply cannot afford it because it is not covered by insurance. I was wondering if insurance companies might start covering it because it is now approved by the FDA.

Re: Back for a visit and an update

JudyS on 5/03/03 at 19:50 (117774)

Wow Jason - GOOD for you! :)