Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Summertime shoe?

Posted by Kristen D. on 5/01/03 at 17:30 (117578)

I posted a few days or so ago about just being diagnosed with PF. I am going to be casted for orthotics in the near future and will be using a night splint. My podiatrist recommended Dansko shoes for a summer time sandal that I could wear. I tried them and they are too small! I wear a women's size 11 or 12 and the Dansko size 42 is too small. What other kind of shoe/sandal can I wear in the summer time. I don't want to wear my New Balance sneaks every day. Thanks!

Re: Summertime shoe?

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/01/03 at 19:37 (117596)

Try Merrell's, they make several varieties for the summer. Some of the styles are a cross between a running shoe and a clog, and some have closed backs and some have open backs. They also make sandals, though I'm not a big fan of any sandal. Merrell makes a nice shoe for summer called the Primo Breeze, which is a mesh top and is extremely comfortable.

Pam S. on 5/01/03 at 20:31 (117606)

What to do if your feet are sooooo narrow. Any suggestions for Sandles here?

Suzanne D on 5/01/03 at 21:06 (117616)

Hi, Kristen! I also wear a size 11 shoe. I know your frustration; so many shoes stop just short of our size. Have you tried Birkenstock sandals? There are many styles to choose from, and a lot of them are 'unisex' and come in larger sizes. I'll have to admit that some of the more feminine and pretty styles are just a bit too short for me, but there are still some nice ones that fit. The Arizona is a basic, wide-strap, slip-on sandal, and the Florida style has three more narrow straps. Both of those come in different colors and materials and also have the option of the soft footbed which is what is most comfortable for me.

Good luck to you! Let us know if you find some. If you need an on-line source for the Birks, I can post a couple for you.

Suzanne :)

Kari J on 5/03/03 at 09:02 (117731)

Thanks for this info! I was just about to commence a Google search for summer shoes. My PF only shows up every five years or so, but I have a mild case right now, but soon have to start coaching a summer league swim team and will be standing on cement for twice a day practices. The thought of wearing sneakers on 90 degree days is not pleasant! Thanks for saving me the research time.

Dorothy C. on 5/04/03 at 01:33 (117780)

Suzanne ~
About the Birkenstock sandals: can you explain more about what you mean when you say 'soft footbed'? I have worn Birkenstock sandals (Arizona) but have not been aware of a soft footbed; I would like to know more. Thanks.

Kari J on 5/13/03 at 19:49 (118617)

When I ordered my Powerstep insoles from FootSmart.com (which had the cheapest price I could find), I received a catalog from the company. Inside is a host of shoes and sandals, many coming in widths of D, E, EE, and EEE. There are no Birkenstocks or Dansko, but they have Romika, Soft Spots, Teva, Arcopedico, Eclipse, DB (whatever that is!), Munro, Supremes, Maravilla, Propet, Softwalk, Solidus, Saucony, and New Balance. All claim to have patented, state-of-the-art soles for troubled feet. I'm sure you could request a catalog from their website.