Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking for info on Dr. Gould and his article on pf surgery

Posted by Dan D. on 5/01/03 at 18:12 (117583)

Has anyone out there been treated by Dr. John Gould of the Alabama Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center in Birmingham? I have had pf for 6 years and have been on crutches almost the whole time. My orthopaedic surgeon gave me an article by Dr. Gould from the January 2003 issue of American Journal of Orthopaedics where he describes a surgical procedure where
he releases the plantar fascia and the quadratus plantar fascia under the lateral plantar nerve. He claims his success rate is somewhere around 85%.
Has anyone out there been treated by him or are there any drs. who read this article and have opinions on it?

Dan

Re: Looking for info on Dr. Gould and his article on pf surgery

AKC on 5/02/03 at 10:34 (117656)

I have not been to the doc.
I offer you a suggestion.
Ask him for references - his patients he has done (preferabbly 12
months post-op) and his colleages that he has worked under.
A good doc will provide references, brag about his work, and is well
regarded by his colleagues.

Re: thanks

Dan D. on 5/02/03 at 20:06 (117717)

thanks for the helpful advice!

BGCPed on 5/05/03 at 22:00 (117871)

i would like to see what foot types, structure wise this procedure was most beneficial to. I would also like to see what conservative treatments were utilized first. It makes me wonder when many foot studies are done that just give wt, sex, pain scale, duration but dont address foot type or structure. Just go9ing in and cutting tissue near the painful region or supposed nerves that serve that region is over simplistic and not a cure all.

The resulting lateral column issues cant be ignored. Maybe in a more cavus foot it may not be as crucial but in a more pronated foot, it could be more detrimental. I am just throwing out some ideas here. I wonder what the Dr may think about this theory. I would bet that the large majority of pf release pt have not had proper footwear and or orthotic care.

One weak link in the studies is that just stating conservative treatments were tried for 6 months is not very scientific. Has we all know ones ideas of proper orthotic/footwear is very subjective. We all see poor treatment and or orthotics daily. I would also say that perhaps the Drs doing lots of pf release are providing poor orthotic/footwear advice or utilizing a poor source, thus creating more candidates for pf release.

IMHO, doing a large number of pf release with the other modalities available, would suggest a practitioner lacking a few tools in his belt at best or having a more financial factor involved at worst

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/06/03 at 18:26 (117954)

BG:
Well stated!
Ed

BGCPed on 5/06/03 at 23:32 (117984)

TY Dr Ed, I respect your opinions and appreciate your input