Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Loving that Ossatron

Posted by Joy S. on 5/02/03 at 15:41 (117693)

Hi Folks. I am so pleased with the results that I'm experiencing 3 weeks post-op. I too, like many of you had chronic pf for at least a year. I had the shots, phys. therapy, fiberglass cast, etc. Since Feb. I could only walk on my poor foot if I wore the boot cast. Well, the old boot cast is collecting dust and I am wearing my beloved New Balance 662's and my soft-bed Florida Birks. I've tried to stay off my feet as much as possible which is soooo hard. Anyway, my pain is still around but it's not ruling my life anymore. So, hopefully the healing will continue and I won't drop dead when the medical bills start rolling in. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences. I've had some ups and downs during this post-op time and reading these posts helped me to stay patient and not give up. This pf is such a royal pain.

Re: Loving that Ossatron

Laura M on 5/04/03 at 20:42 (117812)

Joy,

Glad to hear that your post op is going well. I had the Ossatron procedure done 5 days ago and I'm still in a lot of pain. I have a terrible burning in the bottom of my foot. The doctor says it will go away with time. I really hope that is true. I'm so tired of my foot hurting. I'm so glad this board is here to read about other pf patients. If people do not have pf I think it is hard for them to understand what we go through. Joy please keep me posted on how your recovery is going.

Joy S. on 5/05/03 at 21:32 (117867)

Hi Laura, I'm sorry that you are having so much pain. It really can get you down. You're so right about having support from folks who are going through the same 'adventure'. I had never heard of pf until it showed up at my door. But when I started wearing the cast and walking boot, people at church, work, etc. came up to me and told me their war stories with pf. (I had been limping for months and nobody even noticed, but when I had a cast on, my family and friends finally showed a little concern). Anyway, everyone who shared their experiences had different advice. One told me that the cortisone shot cured her. She said, 'Don't waste your time or money on physical therapy. I doesn't work'. Another lady who was a nurse and on her feet all day told me that she tried everything but it was the phys therapy that cured her. Another person was cured with custom inserts. I've tried all of the above and have only gotten worse. So far the Ossatron, (also known as The Big 'O') has been the only thing to help. Hang in there, I read in the healthtronics pamplet that some people don't get pain relief for six weeks.

Pauline on 5/06/03 at 11:10 (117904)

Joy,
I believe the Big 'O' machine also sometimes referred to as Orbie was a nick name that we had to give to another machine that is still going through FDA trials. It's not been approved yet and we were forbidden to mention it's name on the web site,(long story).

The Ossatron to my knowledge has always been just called the Ossatron, but I could be wrong.

Laura M on 5/10/03 at 23:23 (118276)

Joy,

How far post-op are you? Are you still doing good? I have found that the only shoes that help are New Balance. It sure limits your wardrobe when all you can wear are sneakers, but you have to do what ever helps.

Joy S. on 5/12/03 at 13:50 (118417)

Hi Laura, I'm 4-1/2 weeks post-op and slowly getting better everyday. I hope you are too. I ordered a pair of the Powerstep inserts for my New Balance shoes and they are great. I have a high arch so the extra support has got to help. My feet are feeling so good that I wore a pair of pumps w/ 1-1/2' heels to church yesterday. Bad idea. I couldn't wait to get home and put on my NB's. Maybe we could 'dress up' our shoes with lace and beads for special occasions.

Laura on 5/12/03 at 19:29 (118473)

Joy,

Beads and fancy laces!!!!!!!!!! What a great idea. Today I wore my birks and they were even to much. I came home from work and put on my new balance. Tomorrow I will just wear the NB from the start and hopefully it will be OK

Joy S. on 5/13/03 at 10:56 (118528)

Laura, Are you getting any relief yet?

Laura M on 5/13/03 at 18:28 (118608)

Joy,
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post ESWT. I have not notices any big differences. I do last longer during the day if I'm wearing my NB. The minute I take my shoes off and try to walk it is still just terrible pain. So the answer to the question is no I do not have any relief yet. It is very frustrating. The constant pain is driving me crazy. You can only wear so many outfits with sneakers. I go back to see the doc at the end of the week, so we will see what she says.