Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

insurance coverage for eswt

Posted by Carrie H on 5/03/03 at 07:01 (117727)

Has anyone had trouble getting blue cross/blue shield to pay for eswt? I have been fighting with them since Feb. They say they pay for the procedure but are continuing to stall. The latest is they will pay for the procedure but not for the use of the ossatron equipment. This is what is available through my podiatrist. It has been a nightmare between bc/bs, ossatron and heatlth south the surgical center. Does anyone have any thoughts or help?

Re: insurance coverage for eswt

Dr. Z on 5/03/03 at 08:58 (117730)

What state do you live in? This is very typical with Blue Shields. I may be able to help you.

Carrie H on 5/03/03 at 09:41 (117732)

I live in north carolina

Dr. Z on 5/03/03 at 10:44 (117734)

Would you be willing to travel to another state if I could have your
insurance still pay for the treatment and you could have this done within two weeks or at any time you wish. You could probaby drive to this state.
If have an interest let Dr. Z know by e-mailng footcare@ comcast.net. This could be your quick solution.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/05/03 at 20:02 (117854)

Carrie:
Interesting -- the Blue Shield in my state only wants to pay for ESWT if done by the Ossatron -- go figure.
Which machine are they willing to pay for? Keep in mind that ALL of the machines currently available work so the path of least resistance is to have the procedure done by the machine the insurer favors.
Ed