Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthodics - with or without?

Posted by athena on 5/05/03 at 03:00 (117821)

hi everyone,
when i got PF a year ago i went to a podiatrist and got orthotics made for me because he said I had flat feet. I've been wearing them for a year and there's been little improvement. So last week I took them out and have been walking without them for a few days, and my feet actually seem to be in less pain!

But it doesn't make any sense because by what me podiatrist told me, having flat feet and walking without orthotics should strain the plantar fascia more, causing it to hurt more, right?

Has anyone else experience this or have any advice for me??

Re: orthodics - with or without?

Richard, C.Ped on 5/05/03 at 12:04 (117834)

Hey Athena,
Yes, that can happen, but if the orthotics are not made properly, that can cause discomfort and pain as well as non healing. Keep in mind though, if your feet are very sore, even if you have a properly made orthosis, the break in time will vary from person to person.

I would suggest either finding another doc for a second opinion, or find a C.Ped that will let you sit down and talk about your needs (without charging you of course)

Physici Ron on 5/05/03 at 14:18 (117837)

Consider the fluid SDO's. Those of us who wear them say they're so comfortable & they're suppose to be good for flat feet. They prevent Jerk or the 1st derivative of de-acceleration when your foot rapidly pronates. I'm sure Dr Kiper could put in more medical terms.

Nan D on 5/05/03 at 22:33 (117873)

I'm in total agreement with Ron. I also have flat feet that caused a different foot problem from yours and decided to try a type of SDO's since nothing else worked for me from Podiatrists. Check out Dr Kiper's website and it will explain to you, quite logically, how they help PF. I think SDO's are actually considered 'better for PF' than my problem of morton's neuroma, but I experienced a definite improvement fairly quickly. He guarantees them or your money back, so you have absolutely nothing to lose but your pain!

carmen h on 5/06/03 at 08:42 (117894)

I agree about the SDO's....I love mine. I rarely ever walk without them.

Re: orthodics - with or without?- carmen, dan &physics dan

Rosemary T on 5/08/03 at 11:53 (118104)

For Carmen, Dan and physics Ron, interested in knowing what the break in period was for you? Did you wear them all day the first few days (as recommended) or did you break them in slowly. Asking because I have had some difficulty with them, and don't want a set back to the progress I have made so far. Thanks. Rosemary

PhysicsRon on 5/08/03 at 14:56 (118111)

They must be broken slowly...2-4 hr.s the 1st day + 1hour or so extra on subsequent days. The silicone is matched to your arch & puts real pressure on it ...often for the first time in your life (unless u walk barefoot in mudflats) HaHa.
So there is some discomfort breaking in but i found it was worth it. Wear your softest shoes...no dress, hi heels or clogs. Hope this helps

Marilu H on 5/08/03 at 15:54 (118113)

Hi I am new here- been suffering with Pf and tendonitis intense since November -just coming out of a soft cast and ordered SDO's. Been having a hard time getting the right fit. Still sending them back and forth. Dr. Kipper recommended wearing them in a good running shoe to start.After trying on 20 or so different kinds I am Trying Ryka's running shoes(had to get 2 sizes bigger then my normal size) but the blue pad doesn't fit in anything but my SAS shoes. Do any of you know if that made a difference for you? The tendon on the outside of my foot hurts with out the blue pad because the orthotic edge hits it in the running shoes but the running shoes hold my foot better then SAS does-Any hints? Rosemary-thanks for asking about the break in period I would tried to wear them too much at first I think because they seemed okay first 2 days them I ended up back in the soft cast :( thanks for any info-Marilu

Richard, C.Ped on 5/09/03 at 07:59 (118161)

Actually, there really is not a 'normal' break in period. Everyone is different. I tell people to go only until they start to feel fatigue in their feet. Do not over do it. Way to often I have people try to force themselves to get used to the orthosis. If all you can take is 15 minutes or so the first few days...then only try it for that long. Increase by 5 to 10 minutes if you can. Go slow and do not force it.