Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

anyone else?

Posted by Marilu H on 5/06/03 at 10:09 (117901)

Hi I am new here. Been struggling with foot problem seriously since last November. I am 44 weigh 108. Plantar fascitis and tendonitis. Been the route of doctors ,semi rigid orthotics-one suggested back surgery even though there is nothing wrong with my back.Lots of stretching then Ultrasound with cortizone cream worked briefly. Then it all came back after climbing a ladder -now in soft cast for 4 weeks supposed to wear it another two. Got frustrated started looking on my own and just started trying SDO's. Just went to my Podiatrist this morning. First thing he said was why aren't you in the cast when I told him it started to make it worse my husband just said its just sore on top because there is no cushioning. I told the Doctor I just started trying SDO's. He laughed at the SDO's and pamphlet I showed him. Told me not to get my hopes up. He laughed that I was on the internet and that I am trying to take Bromelain for inflammation-he said he is not into naturapathic remedies. He said the internet is a cesspool for medical information.I told him I researched the information and didn't take it at face value. My husband was with me and he sides with the doctor. I feel so humiliated and had a big fight with my husband.I told my husband rest is fine but if my feet don't hit the ground correctly I am just going to end up hurting again and the doctor can always say it is because I walked too much on them. I am not bothering with this doctor anymore no matter what my husband says. It is my right foot so I can't really drive or I would have gone without my husband. Now my husband slammed out of here and I am so frustrated.We are ina new area and I don't know anyone. I had a car accident 5 years ago and it took forever to get better from that-I was just on the other end of it and this foot thing started. At the moment I am not sure why I married my husband! He keeps telling me how much he loves me and how right this idiot doctor is all the way home!! My husband is the type that can tolerate any medication and doesn't understand why I can't.Since the accident tolerating medicine is harder and I get migraines and panic at times. I just finished homeschooling our daughter she is 16 and is now taking college courses. She is doing great except for living through all this with me. I think I 'm having a midlife crisis. I need to start doing something else but can't get to the point of feeling well enough to get out to. And even if I do get out I am so shaky from everything I completely go blank when I try to talk to someone. Is anyone else going through this stuff??? And how are you dealing with it. My mind seems to be fine one minute and just not working the next.-I don't have any other medical conditions. I think it is just from feeling trapped and frustrated. thanks for any information-Marilu

Re: anyone else?

JudyS on 5/06/03 at 12:46 (117915)

Oh dear Mariluu - I sure hope we can get you to stick around here for awhile! Take a deep breath and read away. Then take charge. Your doc is not in charge, your hubby is not in charge, YOU are.
You may or may not be involved in a midlife crisis but one thing's for sure, you have a sore foot. That'll camp out in your brain and pretty much rain on any good stuff you want in your life.
Listen, you can go to a different doc any time you want. Lots of folks here have done just that. And guess what? They did it after they felt that the doc wasn't listening, wasn't taking them seriously, was laughing at the 'internet' research, etc. etc. You get to change docs if you want. You're in charge.
Your husband doesn't have sore feet. He's not the first loved one to not quite understand. (I was 'lucky' in that respect, my husband had PF when I did!) It's not unusual for someone here to have their spouse/loved one (men, women, children, friends, etc) to do some reading here at this website. They find out quickly that PF is no picnic. It's hard for some folks to understand because you 'look' perfectly alright to them.
I just wrote a post about my own PF experience to Kristen - it's got some ideas about taking charge of your PF and so do some of the other posts to Kristen - it'll give you some ideas.
But the most important thing for you to do is stay here and stay in charge. We WILL help you with your decision-making and we WILL support you 100%. At this website, we're going to tell you everything we can that is RIGHT and GOOD about you - this darn PF has made all of us question ourselves at one time or another. Also, what with your car accident, your frustration and your daughter's changes, I'll bet you could benefit from a couple of one-on-one counseling sessions. You've been through some tough times and they're only exacerbated by your sore foot. You have every right to start feeling good again and I encourage you to seek out a counselor who will convince you of just that.
Meanwhile, hang out here for awhile - welcome!

marie on 5/06/03 at 15:01 (117925)

Marilu,

There is nothing worse than having chronic pain. It's so hard to get folks to understand that your feet are reminding you that they are attached to your body 24-7. It's hard to have a normal lifestyle when you're in pain. It's very depressing. Your husband is probably burnt out as well. My hubby was great for a while but then he started getting tired of helping me...he'd roll his eyes when I asked for a massage. He didn't say anything but I could see it in his body gestures. Chronic means chronic and if you're going to lick this thing you have to take charge. Treat your feet like a part time job. Your husband probably just wants the old you back. Find another doctor that will listen to you and ask your husband to wait in the waiting room. Tell your doctor how stressed out you are...he may be able to give you some medication that will relieve your anxiety.

Get some Birkenstock shoes.

PS my hubby did come around. He's my greatest advocate and helper now.

Suzanne D on 5/06/03 at 17:13 (117932)

Marilu, I am so sorry you are in pain and understandably frustrated and feeling at wit's end.

How awful for the doctor to laugh at you for trying to get information for yourself! Most of what I know about PF, I learned here, and if it had not been for this site, I don't know how I would be coping now.

Unfortunately, I have to hurry and close now, but please stay here with us and know that we DO understand more than you know. You'll get lots of support and knowledge here.

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Bev on 5/06/03 at 17:36 (117939)

Marilu and Kristin,
I can second what Suzanne said. If it were not for all of the wonderful people on this board I do not know where I would be today. I knew nothing about these conditions until I found this board, and thanks to all of their help I have been able to survive these past months. So stick with the board, ask questions, vent( I vent a lot),everyone is here for you. So welcome and hello. Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/03 at 17:43 (117942)

Marilu,

People who don't have plantar fasciitis (PF) don't understand, and most of them never will. Try to forgive your husband because if he hasn't had PF, he doesn't have a clue of what he is talking about.

People here on this message board DO understand, because we have 'been there done that', just like you. We read you post and feel your pain deeply.

You need to see a different doctor, without your husband. If you need your husband to drive for you, do whatever you can to get him to stay in the waiting room. You need to see a doctor alone so that they don't gang up on you like that.

You are in charge of your feet... not your husband, not the doctor that laughed at you.

We care!!

Carole C