Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how to stop achellies tendon from hurting

Posted by anthony k on 5/06/03 at 15:57 (117929)

This morning when I got up my achellies tendon was hurting , what causes this and what are some treatments?

Re: how to stop achellies tendon from hurting

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/03 at 21:11 (118135)

Anthony, I am not a doctor but have had Achilles tendonitis off and on. That condition can cause hurting of the Achilles tendon, and a feeling that it is 'too short', inflamed, and painful.

If what you have is Achilles tendonitis, many of the same treatments that help plantar fasciitis also seem to help Achilles tendonitis for many of us. Start by reading the Heel pain book on this website.

Stretching is very helpful, but instead of the more strenuous stretches that other people may be able to handle, try the gentle Yoga stretches described by Julie (click on the word Yoga for her description of them). Don't do any stretching that hurts at all. Gentle is good and it is enough.

Here are some other suggestions: Don't go barefoot. Rest your feet when you can. Use ice if it seems to help.

I hope your Achilles tendon problems go away promptly!

Carole C