Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Only people here would understand

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/03 at 17:31 (117938)

We've all had this happen, right? Even for those of us with sitting-down jobs, there comes a day when you're assigned something unusual that will keep you on your feet ALL DAY. For me, that's tomorrow.

Never mind those of you that stand all day at work most of the time; I would have jumped off a cliff by now from the pain. I don't know how you do it!!!!

I just have to stand from 7 to 4, and have to walk a supposed 2 blocks (probably 4, with my luck) to lunch and back. I will probably be OK in my SAS Free Time shoes, because you know I am ALMOST healed. I hate the way it scares me, though. I'm not that timid in the rest of life!

Carole C

Re: Only people here would understand

Bev on 5/06/03 at 17:46 (117944)

Carole,
All right Carole, what are you up to tomorrow ? What have you gotten yourself into that you have to get your PF in dithers about :o We can't be letting those footsees of yours getting sore , you are doing so well after your last exercise bike stunt, right ;) You take care, okay :-/ Have a good evening. Bev

Sharon W on 5/06/03 at 17:48 (117945)

Carole,

You have very good reasons for being 'timid'!

I think I know exactly what you mean; over time we learn to simply avoid the things that cause pain. Perhaps there ARE times when we assume we can't do certain things that our health would actually allow us to do in our current stage of recovery -- but we just don't want to take the risk that it might cause a major setback!!

Good luck, Carole... just think of how TERRIFIC you'll feel about it, if it turns out you ARE able to be all day on your feet now, WITHOUT having to 'pay a price' during the next several days or weeks!

Sharon
:)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/03 at 18:20 (117953)

That's true. I'll feel great if I can do it!

And if I can't, well, by now I have figured out what helps my particular feet to heal.

Thanks! That thought really does help me to be a little braver.

Once I get through it, I'll be OK. Now, if I can just DO it!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/03 at 18:37 (117956)

Bev, thanks for caring! It's really a great opportunity, or otherwise I might be tempted to look for a way out of it. I get to observe a major pre-planned drill for dealing with certain possible environmental accidents. I will be at a huge mega-company in a big building downtown. In order to evaluate their response, I have to be on my feet moving from team to team and listening in. I have to be everywhere at once, and not just sitting in a corner. You are right; I don't want my feet to get sore again or to get those sharp pains that tell me I'm damaging them! I am such a weenie. LOL

Carole C

BrianG on 5/06/03 at 20:25 (117965)

Hi Carole,

Don't forget to tape your heels in the morning. That should help. And ice them when you get home. Also, you may want to take some Ibu's if you have already cut back on them.

Have a good one
BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/03 at 21:14 (117970)

Thanks. I had stopped taking anti-inflammatories but you are right, tomorrow is the day for them and thanks for reminding me. I've never learned how to tape, and have to leave very early, but at least I can ice.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/06/03 at 21:19 (117972)

I was thinking the same thing, Carole. Taking some anti-inflammatories in the morning to be on the safe side sounds like a good idea. If you happen to have some athletic tape, you might give that a try, too. It's really simple, and taping just might give you the edge you need.

Whatever you do, I hope you can enjoy the day and not be bothered by any foot pain! It sounds like an important meeting!

Take care! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
Suzanne :)

Re: survived

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/03 at 16:50 (118040)

It was very hot because the A/C failed on that floor of the posh high rise, supposedly due to renovations. Outside temperatures were 90 degrees with brutal humidity and a heat index of 105 degrees. Plus, with 100+ people in a small space and no A/C, it was amazingly stuffy.

So, we were all quite miserable with heat, and my feet and legs swelled quite a bit due to the heat and all the standing. My arthritis was awful and my knees and legs swelled up a lot too.

The pain I felt was very intense but more like the 'pounding of pavement on the bottom of the feet and heels' type of pain, than the tearing, ripping pain that I associate with a major setback. Whew! My achilles tendons never did seem to tighten up much.

Right now I'm sitting with my feet on a bag of frozen mixed veggies, and I'm starting to feel better. I think that after resting my feet for the weekend, they will probably be fine! And I managed to survive. :)

Carole C

Sharon W on 5/07/03 at 17:09 (118043)

AAAaaaah... the joys of frozen veggies!! YOU introduced me to those, Carole, and I never really thanked you. So, thank you! (They sure feel GOOD,don't they??)

I hope you'll feel OK tomorrow and not have any lasting pain from your experience. I'm sorry it turned out to be so miserable. My pod told me once that heat increases swelling, so it's not too surprising that your feet and legs swelled up on you. Lying back in a recliner with your feet UP (on pillows, probably) above the level of your heart, will also help a lot with getting that swelling back down. And you can use your frozen veggies while you do it, too!

Sharon
:-s

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/03 at 18:29 (118051)

I did just what you said, Sharon, only I took it a step further! I went to bed and put both legs up high on a stack of pillows and comforters, and fell asleep for an hour like that. It sure felt good and I think it brought the swelling down. Then, when I awakened just now I took Brian's advice and took some ibuprofen. All these ideas are helping, plus my Birkenstocks are feeling good tonight.

The pain is already cut way down from what it was like a couple of hours ago. I will need to keep babying my feet this weekend, though.

I do think that a lot of it was swelling due to the heat, like your pod said.

I'm glad the frozen veggies have worked for you! I like them too, and I have one battered plastic bag full of frozen mixed veggies that I've used since 2001 when I first got PF. I just couldn't EAT them after putting my feet on them (even though my feet never touched them, so they were probably fine other than thawing and refreezing a million times). Anyway, they became 'the bag'.

The neat thing is that I got to go, I did it, and despite the heat and my feet I saw the whole drill, which was what I wanted to do. :)

Carole C

Sharon W on 5/07/03 at 19:00 (118055)

Carole,

You're right, it wouldn't be safe to eat veggies that have been partially defrosted and then re-frozen THAT many times!

I had two bags of peas that I used faithfully for many months, but recently I threw them out and replaced one of them... I am enough better now that I don't need them too often, anyway, and I really only need one.

Here's hoping the pain these next few days will at least be so minor you won't even have to think about it as long as you have something to distract you!

Do you have a strategy for sleeping tonight?

Sharon
:>

JudyS on 5/07/03 at 19:16 (118057)

Well done, Carole :)

Suzanne D on 5/07/03 at 20:12 (118061)

You know sometimes, Carole, just SURVIVING is a pretty big deal and something to be proud of! @};-

I'm glad you came home to a COOL house after your earlier troubles with the air conditioner!

Take care,

Necee on 5/07/03 at 22:35 (118071)

Carole I'm glad that you survived the days events. Being on your feet all day is misery enough, but having to withstand the heat too! Wow, thats horrible.
Ya'll mentioned the frozen veggies for soothing those aching feet, I prefer to use a small plastic drink bottle, I fill it with water and freeze it. I'll place it on the floor, sometimes while I'm sitting at my computer, and gently roll it back and forth with the bottom of my foot. Oh boy! that sure does feel good!

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/03 at 07:26 (118078)

Sharon,

I slept like a log last night! I took some ibuprofen and put my feet up on that pile of pillows and comforters, and the pain really diminished while I rested with my feet up like that. The next thing I knew it was morning.

Today I am wearing my Birkenstocks at work, which my feet love. :)

As long as I can just sit around, I am not in much pain at all. And, it looks like I can do that until next week. Maybe I 'skated' out of this one!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/03 at 07:27 (118079)

Me too! you won't find me complaining about the cold temperatures at work, either. They feel GREAT after yesterday. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/03 at 07:32 (118080)

That does sound nice. I haven't tried a drink bottle yet. Last night I used one of those cold packs you leave in the freezer, first, but I found out that it warmed up way faster than my bag of veggies would. So when it did, I shifted to my veggies. The veggies were all 'clumped up' in the bag from the last time I used them (they must have melted too much and frozen together). So, I had to unclump it first. But, it sure felt wonderful!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/03 at 07:32 (118081)

Thanks, Judy. :)

Carole C

Bev on 5/08/03 at 10:16 (118092)

That's the same thing I do while I sit at my computer. I either use the two ice water bottles or I will use the massage balls , I take turns, give my feet a different treat each time I sit here :)

Sharon W on 5/08/03 at 17:05 (118124)

Carole,

How are you feeling now? Are you still OK as long as you don't have to be on your feet?

I hope so! Maybe you DID escape without any major turmoil!

Sharon
:)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/03 at 19:52 (118130)

I'm doing pretty well, really. Both legs and especially my right knee still feel pretty swollen, but I think rest will help that a lot. My feet hurt enough to make me limp (and look for a chair) if I stand or walk on them at all, but they really feel pretty reasonable as long as I sit or lie down.

So far the most encouraging thing is that the type of pain that I've felt when I stand or walk, is the 'sore burning feet' kind of pain, or the 'ice pick stabbing the center of my heel from the bottom' sort of pain, rather than the 'ripping tearing PF crippling you're-in-deeeeeeep-trouble' sort of pain. Also, my Achilles tendons don't feel any tighter than usual, and that is excellent!

So, I have just stayed off my feet and plan to do so until the swelling goes down. I don't have to work Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, so I plan to play it by ear. I can rest if I need to. I think I might have escaped without any major problem from this! :)

In any case, I'm glad I went to the drill. It was so neat to be able to have that opportunity to do something that really, really wanted to do. Judy is right about that; in long term PF sometimes you just have to DO something if it means a lot, and if there's a chance you might be able to. There's no way I would have let this one get away from me. I'd say that to me it was worth, oh, say three months of level 9. And instead it looks like I'm skating by with a few days of level 3-4. :)

Carole C (Keeping my fingers crossed!)

Re: Happy feet, thank you all !!!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/03 at 12:30 (118177)

You all were so helpful to me! It really did help to be reminded about ice and anti-inflammatories and putting my legs above my heart and everything else that everyone mentioned.

Maybe it was because of your reminders; for whatever reason, I seem to be LOTS better today than yesterday.

Today is my day off, so I thought I'd go for a drive, at least, and get out of the house. After enjoying an hour or so of exploring interesting back streets in New Orleans, I found myself driving by my favorite antique store at 10:01 (it opens at 10:00), and the very nearest parking spot to it was empty! OK, so I couldn't stand it. I parked and went in, and browsed around.

When I was done, I realized my feet were fine, so I walked a block further looking for other antique stores that might be open. None were, this early, but I did some window shopping and walked the block back to my car. Then I drove to another antique store on St. Charles Ave., and had to park three blocks away. But I had no trouble walking there, browsing around, and walking back.

As if this wasn't phenomenal enough, I then went grocery shopping! I would say that my feet are back to a level 1 already. This totally blows my mind. It sure wasn't this easy or fast to get better the first time I had PF!! How weird!! I think that your prodding to get me to start treating my feet immediately made a big difference, plus maybe it helped to have already learned some tricks about what my feet 'like' and don't like. I don't know! I'm astonished. But hey, I'll take happy feet whenever I can get them! LOL

You all are the GREATEST!!!

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Carole C

Re: Oh, good, Carole!

Suzanne D on 5/10/03 at 05:44 (118221)

I'm so happy to read this! =D>

Have a great weekend!

Bev on 5/10/03 at 16:16 (118247)

Carole, Sure sounds as if you had a fun day roaming the shops. I can't wait till I can do that again. We like hitting the flea markets in Kentucky and Tennessee and etc. on the way to my sisters in Alabama each year and we have fun roaming them, however last year we could not do them and we won't be able to when we go in a few weeks either - - maybe next time - think positive - right :) I also love craft shows , I used to never miss any , but I've missed tons since PF :(( I guess that's okay, I really don't need anything anyway, but it is fun just going and looking, isn't it :-/ I am so pleased you are doing so very well, keep up the good feet :)) Have a nice Mother's Day :) Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/03 at 19:29 (118264)

I know what you mean about wanting to shop. I missed a lot of shopping when my PF was bad. Even worse, I felt like I wasn't able to participate in my own life. Life was just passing me by while I sat around with my feet up or on ice. It took a long time, but eventually things got better. I hope your healing progresses rapidly, Bev. You'll be back at those flea markets and craft shows when your feet get better.

Carole C