Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does surgery release fascia or whole plantar ligament

Posted by JaneC on 5/07/03 at 13:49 (118026)

I am confused about what the PF surgery really does. I know that fascia is everywhere in the body and surrounds muscles, nerves, and tendons. With the PF surgery, do they just release the protective fascia, leaving the plantar ligament intact or do they release the ligament too?

Re: Does surgery release fascia or whole plantar ligament

Dr. Z on 5/07/03 at 19:34 (118060)

A portion of the entire fascia is released. The plantar ligament isn't involved.

JaneC on 5/07/03 at 21:35 (118069)

so that the ligament that has to take the load of our weight once the fascia is severed? What holds our arch in the absence of the fascia's support? and how stable is that in terms of lasting the next, say, 40 or 50 years of weight-bearing activity? (especially if the facia didn't make it but 30 so far?) ....speaking for myself here....

they say severing the fascia decreases foot stability. what i'm wondering is what else in there takes the load and how severely will it be compromised post-op, and ultimately, is there risk that the ligament may then tear because of too much weight???

Dr. Z on 5/08/03 at 21:11 (118136)

Hi

I don't use the pf release any more due to your fears about the stability.
ESWT is a non-invasive procedure that replaces pf surgery without any of the complications

BrianG on 5/08/03 at 22:14 (118144)

Hi Jane, once the fascia is cut, most good doctors will inform the patient that he / she will have to wear orthotics for the rest of their life. If these surgery's worked 100% of the time, orthotics would be a small price to pay. Unfortunatly there are many reasons why surgery does not work, and can even make the pain worse!!

Regards
BrianG