Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Over 1 yr post-surgery...............even more pain now!

Posted by Linda on 5/07/03 at 16:49 (118038)

I had tarsal tunnel release,fascia release,and heel spur excision done over a year ago on both of my feet. I had physical therapy from January 2001-April 2003. I felt like Therapy helped,but it was more of a quick fix than long term.
Well i haven't been in therapy since the second week in april and now i have the worst pain i've ever had in my life. It is even worse now than it was a few weeks ago. I have pain shooting from my toes all the way up my calf. I also have times when my toes get nerve pain,and they kind of freeze up,and i can't move them. I used to be able to go 15 minutes without pain, but now i'm having pain at rest.
I am going to have ESWT, but i can't have treatment until my insurance company ok's it. They are making me go for a second opinion.
Why are my feet getting worse? I am not doing anything different,nor am i on my feet that long.

Re: Over 1 yr post-surgery...............even more pain now!

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/08/03 at 21:25 (118139)

Linda:
We need a lot more information about your history to try to understand what has happened. Having the combination of surgeries that you are referring to is unusual.
Ed

Linda on 5/09/03 at 05:18 (118157)

I had my first fascia Release in 1994, but it did nothing for me. My foot felt fine for about 3 weeks. I tried physical therapy back then, but it did nothing. I got cortizone shots,which helped for a little while. They just seemed like a quick fix at the time, so i just put up with the heel pain. I went to the Doctor every couple of weeks to get my feet taped.
In 2001, i lost 123lbs,and started working out at the gym,running,weightlifting, and taking a few classes. I took aerobics,and a bootcamp class.
I started having sharp shooting pains in my toes,so i stopped running. The Podiatrist gave me cortizone shots in both feet,which didn't do anything for me, so he sent me to Physical Therapy for 4 months. The pain didn't get any better,and I told the doctor it hurt so much to walk i wanted to scream. He scheduled me for surgery in December 2001 on my right foot. I was still doing physical therapy on my left at this time. About a month after surgery, I started physical therapy on my right foot. It didn't feel much better,but i figured it would take a while to get better. I stayed in therapy From January 2002,until I had surgery on my Left foot in March 2002.
I ended up with a bacterial infection in my incision,so i didn't go back to physical therapy until the end of may. I was now in pain with both feet,and started physical therapy again on both feet from May until April of this year. I ended physical therapy in april,when my health insurance wouldn't pay for it anymore.
I am still in pain,and now have to wait on their decision if they will pay for E.S.W.T. or not.

Re: To all doctors

Pauline on 5/09/03 at 12:13 (118173)

How many of you have had the P.F surgeries that your collegues are RXing
for some of our posters? How many of you in general have had foot surgery at all?

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/03 at 14:43 (118236)

Pauline:
There are only a handful of docs on this board so we would not be a good sample size for your query.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/03 at 14:45 (118237)

Linda:
What conservative treatments have been done? Have you had nerve conduction velocity tests?
Ed

Linda on 5/10/03 at 16:05 (118246)

I have never had Nerve conduction velocity tests done, i've only had a lot of cortizone shots,and surgery. I also wear orthotics,and i have a new pair i got last september. I have worn orthotics for 22 yrs.
Should I have the Nerve Conduction velocity test done?
Maybe it's time for me to see another Podiatrist,or would an Orthopedic Surgeon be better? I have had the same Podiatrist for 11 years.
I am just a little aggravated,and feel like there has to be more to get to the bottom of my pain. I have pain in my shins,and my calves constantly.
I just want to get back to somewhat normal. I am very athletic,and worked out and ran or rode a bike 6 days a week,but since 12/2001, I stopped. I miss it,and i just want to be able to get moving again

Dr. Z on 5/10/03 at 16:29 (118249)

I performed a pf MIS release on a podiatrist over fifteen years ago. He is still pain free but can't move his 5th toe.

Pauline on 5/11/03 at 16:05 (118337)

Dr. Z.,
Are you sure it was his fifth toe or his sixth:*)

Pauline on 5/12/03 at 09:09 (118395)

That's ok Dr. Ed. My guess is very few. I would venture to say most doctors avoid foot surgery on themselves like the plague. They find it much easier to 'give' than to 'receive' when it comes to foot surgery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/14/03 at 21:34 (118782)

Linda:
A nerve conduction velocity test is worth obtaining to look for TTS. A source of practitioners is http://www.acfas.org
Ed

Linda on 5/15/03 at 05:34 (118800)

Thank you for the website Dr. Davis. My Podiatrist is on the list,so when I go to him,I am going to ask why he never did one. I might seek a second opinion after that