Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back to jogging

Posted by Leon S. on 5/07/03 at 18:43 (118053)

After about 8 months of rest, stretching, taping and better footwear, I resumed my Sunday jogging 3 weeks ago. I have been feeling pretty good for the last couple of months and decided to see what it would be like if I eased my way back to jogging. I taped my foot securely and put donuts in my running shoes and was pleasantly surprised to find no ill effects after an easy 4 1/2 mile jog. I've increased the distance each week to the point that I was able to do 7 miles last week and still feel great. I'm sure that my degree of suffering was not as severe as many of the people that post here because during the winter I was also able to ski without a problem. The advice I received from many of you regarding the rest, stretching and taping was invaluable to the degree of recovery that I've made so far. There is still a small degree of tenderness which is gradually diminishing and a recent purchase of Merrell Jungle Mocs have even eased that. I wish to thank all of you for your advice and support and even the entertaining debates that we entered into...Does anyone want to buy some Jersey Shore sand?

Re: Back to jogging

Sharon W on 5/07/03 at 19:17 (118058)

Good for you, Leon! It's always wonderful to read a post about someone getting better, and starting to resume 'normal' activities... it really makes my day!

Sharon
:D

Suzanne D on 5/07/03 at 20:18 (118064)

I am very happy to read this, Leon! =D>

Suzanne :)

Ellen J on 5/10/03 at 20:29 (118270)

Hi Leon,
That is so exciting to hear! It must be very exhillarating to be out running again. When I'm sleeping I dream about running often and It's something I would love to do again in the future. Hearing that you are able to run again is very happy news. I know that you must be enjoying the spring air, birds chirping and sunny days.
Ellen J.

Leon S. on 5/11/03 at 19:31 (118353)

Ellen,
Thanks for your thoughts. You described my feelings perfectly. Along with being out early in the morning in the fresh air, I'm back to listening to my 'running tapes' and it's like meeting up with my old friends that I haven't been with for 8 months over the different routes that I have missed. There is one horse farm that I enjoy running by and last week when I passed it, the horses came to the fence as if to say that they were as glad to see me as I was to see them...Again, I appreciate all the advice that I got from everyone that helped me reach this level of recovery.

Celia on 5/15/03 at 13:39 (118864)

Leon, do you ice after your runs? Just curious to know if you do anything to your calves after that. I've been blessed with being able to run at least two miles now, but my calves and achilles tighten up so badly. My chiropractor tells me to ice after a run. What do you do besides stretching after a run and walk around with a moment of disbelief like I do?

Leon S. on 5/15/03 at 16:15 (118893)

Celia, Yes, I do ice after I run just as a precaution. When I complete my route, I usually settle down by walking around the block and then I sit down outside, stretch and as you said, enjoy the moment a little more than I did before I got injured. My calves don't tighten up but there are some moments during the run when I feel a tightness in my achilles but it goes away. I also use a footbath massager if I feel that I need it. For me, the big thing is the taping and the heel pad in the shoe...So far, so good. Good luck with your recovery. It's great to be back.

Celia on 5/20/03 at 11:33 (119374)

Thanks, Leon.

Taping hurts me. How do you tape?

I have a footbath massager which I don't use but I've been tempted to just pour water and ice in it so that my feet can sit in there for a while. Have you tried that? My chiro has forbidden me to use heat for anything which is working well for me. How about you? Do you use heat at all?

Leon S. on 5/20/03 at 19:13 (119432)

Celia,

I use the taping method that I saw on this web site. I attach the first strip about an inch around the back of my heel and bring it around and across the bottom of my foot and attach it to the ball of my foot about an inch before the toes on the opposite side from where I started. I take the next piece and start at the toes on the opposite side from where I ended the first piece and repeat the cross over on the bottom of my feet and end up wrapping it around the heel on the opposite side from the first piece. During the taping procedure, I bend my foot so that the toes are pointing back towards the leg as opposed to pointing the toes away from the leg. After I cross the two pieces of tape, making sure they are as smooth as I can make it, I take two more pieces and tape them across the bottom of my foot under the arch. Again, I start about an inch above the bottom of the foot on the side of the small toe and wrap it firmly under the arch and up the other side, also about an inch up. I do the same thing with the 2nd piece right next to the first one...I hope you understand what I described. It helped me alot to the point where I can go several days at a time without any taping and my foot feels pretty good. Don't forget that I also use the donuts in my running shoes also...I don't use ice water in the foot massager. It is designed for heat. I don't know how theraputic it really is, but my feet feel more relaxed after I use it. The setting that I use produces heat, bubbles and massages...As I said earlier, this is what works for me. You have to do what works for you. After reading these message boards for 8 months, I realize that my PF isn't (or wasn't) half as bad as many of the people that post here. However, their experiences and advice have helped me reach the level that I'm at now...Let me know how you're doing.