Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

**Happy Mothers Day**

Posted by Necee on 5/09/03 at 08:52 (118165)

Just wanted to wish all the moms a very Happy and blessed Mothers Day@};- I'll be out of town this weekend so ya'll take care and see ya back here next week.

Happy trails....**==

Re: thinking of MOTHERS...

Suzanne D on 5/10/03 at 05:42 (118220)

Thank you, Necee, and I hope you have a good weekend!

I have been thinking of mothers a lot in the past few days.

Our annual talent show at school was Thursday afternoon and evening, and a fifth grade girl asked me to play the piano for her solo of 'My Heart Will Go On' from the Titanic movie. That little girl lost her mother three years ago to heart failure as she waited for a transplant. Tiffany did such a splendid job on the song, and the words were heart-breaking, yet courageous, to those of us who knew her situation. I will never forget her mom standing in my classroom doorway when her daughter was in first grade, asking me to please help her. She said school was always so hard for her, and she could tell it would be for her daughter. She said she tried to help her, but sometimes she was so tired at night (three children who were 5, 7, 9 when she died). I told her what I've never said to another parent, 'Don't worry about her reading. Leave that to me. You just love her and enjoy being with her.' I promised to do all I could, and so did many others, and today she is doing well along with her two brothers. But I sure did think about her mother a lot this week.

Today my daughter graduates from college. It is the same college I graduated from 25 years ago. Our ceremony was scheduled for 2:00 on Sunday afternoon which was Mother's Day that year. My grandmother died, and her funeral was set for the exact time and day. Of course, I attended her funeral instead on that Mother's Day(which was also Grandma's birthday). This morning as my daughter walks the line, something will be completed for me.

Happy Mother's Day to all! If you - like me - don't still have your mother with you, may you enjoy a day of good memories. If you have your mother, or if you are a mother, I hope you have a blessed day and can be in touch with your loved ones.

Thinking of you all,
Suzanne :)

Bev on 5/10/03 at 15:58 (118245)

That was beautiful, tears in my eyes, thankyou, and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to you all also. I also lost my mother 4 years ago, however I have my lovely family. How exciting for your daughters graduation :) You surely have had a very busy and rewarding life . Your life as a teacher sounds so very rewarding, you are such a special person, your students are so fortunate to have such a very caring and loving person for a teacher, their parents can be so blessed to have you at their school :x We had an entirely different day than yours though today. We had opening season of softball, parade and opening ceremonies and all. It seems just like yesterday that we were doing this for our children , and now we are doing it for our grandchildren , and it is just as much fun ( only I had more energy and better feet then ):D
I pray you all have a Blessed Mothers Day and a Lovely Weekend :) Bev

Suzanne D on 5/10/03 at 17:00 (118255)

Thank you for the kind words, Bev! I hope your family enjoyed the opening day of softball today. My daughters have always been in band, choir, dance, and theater, but no sports. My husband hopes that someday he'll have a grandchild who likes to play ball! He would enjoy some times at a ballpark for a change. :>

Happy Mother's Day to you, too! @};-

SuzanneK on 5/10/03 at 17:30 (118257)

Suzanne - Thanks for a touching post. I will be thinking of your student, your daughter, your grandmother, and you.

SuzanneK (alos another teacher)

Suzanne D on 5/11/03 at 08:37 (118288)

Thank YOU, Suzanne!

I hope your foot pain is better these days. What grade/level do you teach?

Have a happy day!

Re: thanks Neccee and Suzanne

marie on 5/11/03 at 10:49 (118300)

Thank you Neccee!

Suzanne, what a touching story. Thank goodness there are teachers like you in the field of education.

I lost my mother 5 years ago. She is buried in North Carolina and I don't get to visit her grave site too often. Some of my students gave me a rose bush when she passed away. I often look at that rose bush and think of my mom. My mom was a difficult personality to be around but I always did my best to remember that she was the only mom I had and I am the person I am today because of her. My mother's mom died in childbirth when she was 5 years old. Times were hard and my grandfather couldn't take care of 6 children and a newborn baby. He put my mother and her two younger sisters in an orphanage. My mother, as well as all the other children, suffered horrific child abuse while there. The kinds of abuse that would shock any of us. My mom would have given anything to have a mother for mother's day.
Well she is with her mother now and I hope she has found the peace she never knew while she was alive. I'm thinkin of you Mom.

Bev on 5/11/03 at 11:20 (118310)

Sometimes Mothers Day is hard on us as memories are hard for us. Mothers Day is hard as my mother died on May 12, four years ago so Mothers day is always hard for me. My father died on July 4th , so that has always been a difficult holiday for me also. However we have our children that make these days bring special memories into our lives and that is great too, and we start our own new traditions with them and the grandchildren. My sister and I talked for a long time this morning and that was nice too. It is raining both there in the south and here in the north for mothers day (puts a damper on the cook-out), but that's okay.
Everyone have a lovely day. Bev

Re: thanks!

marie on 5/11/03 at 11:35 (118318)

Thanks Bev. I needed that.

SuzanneK on 5/11/03 at 12:53 (118330)

Suzanne - I currently teach 3rd grade, although I might be moving to 4th next year. I will find out next week.

I had a 2/3 pf release performed almost 4 years ago. ESWT wasn't an option for me at that time - no access and no money. I made it through the last 3 months of the school year using a wheelchair - not an easy task. My doctor believes the pf was instigated by the removal of the carpet in my classroom. I was walking and standing on hard tile on top of cement. I put down rugs (at my expense, of course) but that wasn't enough. We tried shots, night splint, physical therapy, anti-inflammatories, orthotics, and shoe changes before deciding on surgery.

I am glad I had the surgery. I don't think I will ever be 100%, but with stretching, orthotics, and vigilance, I can live a productive and mostly comfortable life.

I have identified stress as a factor in my pf. My father died the year I got pf and I was dealing with difficulties in my mother's health at the same time. I also noticed pf-like tendencies in my other foot while stressed out in graduate school. I am very alert, and treat any symptoms as soon as they manifest.

For me, a little discomfort is a fact of life. But compared to the agonizing pain I had before surgery . . . well, let's just say I am grateful every day I don't have that type of pain any more. I have great empathy for those who do suffer so much.

Sharon W on 5/11/03 at 19:37 (118354)

Bev and Marie,

I can relate to that. We lost our mom on Christmas Eve, 12 years ago. Christmas has never been the same since.

Happy Mother's day, both of you; I hope your kids are making a big fuss!

Suzanne D on 5/11/03 at 21:25 (118372)

Suzanne, I am so glad that you had successful surgery and are mostly comfortable now. :)

I understand where you are coming from in regard to the carpet versus tile in your classroom. I taught for 13 years in a room with tile and then moved to a different school with wooden floors and carpet. I was teaching there when I got PF two years ago (I think from long years of over-use of my feet and also poor shoes). Then in January of this year, we moved to a new building with concrete and tile. I was terrified of a set-back as I was much improved by this time. I bought carpet and thick padding for my room and am thankful to say that while I am not 100% better, I have not regressed. Like you, I will always be vigilant!

I think you're also right about the stress factor with PF.

I take my hat off to you for managing teaching in a wheelchair! =D> I know by that feat that you are a dedicated teacher!

Third grade is one of my favorite grades to teach! I taught that grade for several years.

Good luck and best wishes!

marie on 5/11/03 at 21:56 (118377)

I got a clean house. Cleaning our house is no easy task. It is a 101 year old 4 story Georgian victorian with parkay floors imported from Italy, solid red oak pillars in the library and two staircases. We have a total of 16 rooms. We have 9 phones. They did a great job!

My youngest wrote me a beautiful letter and my oldest bought me a biography on John Lennon. We watched a bunch of Beatles videos in my son's room. We are all big fans of the Beatles. Relaxing and hanging out together is my favorite gift.

I hope that all mom's had as special day.

Bev on 5/12/03 at 06:19 (118383)

Sounds as if your Mothers Day was so lovely .Being with family is the

'best'. One of thesse days we are driving through, I would love to see that beautiful victorian house of yours, I absolutly love victorian. Sounds heavenly to live in. Your husband must love to do some of his photograpy there. Gotta get one of these little ones ready for school, have them for a few days while daughter is at a church conference and dad is working. Have a great day. Bev