Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RECENT HEEL PAIN

Posted by Kathleen Shultz on 5/09/03 at 12:58 (118182)

I was walking around Disney World (for hours) in sandals and developed heel pain. It has been going on for two weeks now. The pain is mostly on the bootom of my heel but is also sometimes located on the lateral side of my foot in the arch. Pain worst in morning or after resting. I have just ordered powersteps and new balance running shoes. Any other suggstions?

Re: RECENT HEEL PAIN

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/03 at 13:21 (118184)

Kathleen, read the heel pain book on this website. It's free and it has a lot of information about things that can help. You have made a good start by ordering good shoes and PowerSteps. Here are some other suggestions:

1. Very gentle stretching, like Julie's Yoga stretches (click on the word Yoga). Do some gentle stretching and rotating your ankles before you get out of bed in the morning or before you get up after resting.

2. Never go barefoot, not even in the shower, for the time being. You might also want to get some Birkenstock Arizonas to wear around the house or slip into in the middle of the night and so on. Get shower shoes of some kind, or a shower stool, or both, so that you aren't standing barefoot while you shower or while you get in or out of a bath.

3. Icing. Put your foot on a bag of frozen peas or mixed vegetables, which will conform to the shape of your foot nicely and works really well for icing. Leave it on for a couple of minutes or so until it becomes uncomfortable, and then take it off for a while, and repeat on and off for a half hour or so.

4. Rest. If you can stay off your feet for a while, they may heal faster.

The sooner you can self-treat your heel pain successfully, the faster it will go away. If you really work on it right now, you may get rid of your heel pain a whole lot faster than people who procrastinated longer.

You may want to read the other sections of this message board; this section is actually supposed to be just for technical suggestions about the website. Try the Treatments/Symptoms/Products section where more people may see your post. Good luck!

Carole C

Re: To Carole C

SteveG on 5/14/03 at 16:21 (118758)

Did I read correctly in a recent post that you have MS? Are you on any of the ABCs e.g., Copaxone?

Re: To Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/03 at 05:34 (118941)

No, I'm not taking any MS drugs, Steve, and I never have taken any. After 20 years of never knowing what was next for me, I've been in remission since 1992. I had pretty intense MS that was first diagnosed clinically, and then confirmed by MRI once it was invented. It was nightmarish and I was given the bleakest of prognoses time and again by all of the neurologists that I saw. But now, I only have some minor residual symptoms and I 'pass for normal', so to speak.

I have never taken any drugs for MS. I have not seen a study with sufficient MS patients and controls to persuade me that ANY of the drugs are of the slightest use. Many of these drugs, like interferon (which was very highly touted in the early 1990's and may still be, for all I know) can have very non-trivial side effects and I believe MS patients should not take these drugs lightly.

Since MS is a disease characterized by natural exacerbations and natural remissions, my scientific opinion is that a larger number of patients and a larger number of controls are required in a trial for an MS drug than when testing drugs for other diseases. Having seen studies with just a dozen or two patients many times, I am extremely skeptical. In my opinion any study with fewer than 1000 patients and 1000 controls followed over at least ten years and with clearcut results, is meaningless. Well, at least it is meaningless as far as ME taking the drug.

Every few years I hear about yet another a new treatment for MS that is supposed to cure or at least rid one of the symptoms of MS. Then they vanish into obscurity as time passes. MS is a goldmine for those who would make their fortunes from quackery and someone else's desperation. They disgust me.

Carole C