Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Bev on 5/11/03 at 11:36 (118319)

Question about the ESWT and the arches. Does the ESWT help with the pain in the arches as well as the pain in the heels? The machine is directed at the heels so the shock waves go into the heels, correct? Does that impact at all on the arches? My pain pretty much generates throughout the whole darned foot, will the ESWT help that? ( as you can tell, I am pretty darned miserable):( Thankyou for your help :)

SteveG on 5/11/03 at 12:35 (118328)

Hi, Bev - I noticed some improvement in my arches. In fact, the whole bottom of my foot feels lighter and more supple. I think the treatment tends to loosen the entire fascia, which helps with other areas of the foot. However, many of us still experience some discomfort in the arches and metatarsals after the treatment.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/12/03 at 19:00 (118468)

There are a couple of considerations here. ESWT is indicated only for insertional PF by the FDA. ESWT can be applied to the plantar fascia, away from the insertion but that would be an 'off label' use of the modality.
If the insertional PF is improved then all of the fascia will see some improvement usually. Will that improvement be enough? Possibly -- it is still worth getting ESWT for insertional PF, then seeing how much of an effect it has on the rest of the fascia. I would prefer to use low energy on the distal fascia and that can be done at a reasonable cost via a US or Canadian machine.

Pauline on 5/12/03 at 19:29 (118472)

If I remember your in Michigan Sport's Medicine Associates
in Auburn Hills is using the Sonocur machine. No idea on the cost, but you can call their office (248) 373-7286 for more information. Both doctors are Orthopedic M.D.'s. Dr. Moellar and Dr. Rifat.

Maybe there is insurance coverage.