Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

running shoe?

Posted by scott on 5/11/03 at 20:52 (118366)

i've been battling plantar fasciitis for the last 3-years. i'm looking for a good running shoe for someone with plantar fasciitis ?

Re: running shoe?

Richard, C.Ped on 5/12/03 at 08:48 (118391)

Hi Scott...
PF is a weird condition. A shoe alone may relieve the problem...or a combination of shoes, orthotics and resting may be the key. My favorite shoes as of right now is Brooks. I luv em.

What you want to do is find a shoe that meets proper 'specs'. First, make sure the heel counter is solid. This is the back of the shoe. A solid or rigid counter is great for heel stability. Second, hold the shoe by the counter with one hand, then try to bend the shoe in the middle with the other. You only want the shoe to bend at the ball where your foot bends naturally. A shoe that bends in the middle will irritate the plantar fascia.

If you find something that you like in the store, ask them what their return policy is. We all know shoes tend to feel great in the store, but after wearing them awhile at home...well...they do not always work out. I let my customers wear their shoes for about a week in their house. If they do not feel right, I take them back. If worn outside though, I can't take them back because I can not return them if they are dirty.

Good luck to ya. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Richard