Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fasciitis release

Posted by Brigitte S on 5/13/03 at 19:31 (118615)

I had surgery performed one week ago. I'm not sure what I am supposed to be doing. I went back to work on Monday, which was 6 days after surgery. I am wearing my night splint to protect the foot and I use my crutches. But I also am putting my toes down to help myself around. I don't know if I should be doing that. The foot was not in a cast after surgery and there are about 5 staples on the side of the foot. There is some burning and pain with swelling of the ankle in the evening.

Re: Plantar fasciitis release

kay on 5/13/03 at 22:51 (118643)

I can't believe you are back at work already. I would not put any pressure at all on the foot until it is ok-ed by the doctor. I think your foot should be elevated too. But I am no doctor.....I can't believe you are back at work already.

april on 5/16/03 at 22:05 (119062)

When I had my surgery, my doctor had me back at work after just one week. I was in so much pain and could hardly work (waitress) without crying. My doctor said 'use it or lose it'. I found another doctor immediately, and he took me out of work for 2 months. My foot needed time to heal properly in a walking air cast and night splints.

Brigitte S on 5/17/03 at 02:07 (119075)

Thank you for your information. I was at work all week but took Friday off. I can understand why the doctor put into a splint. I began to wear my night splint even at work because it allowed the heel some relief. But the wound began to ooze two days ago and I somehow developed a blister which was infected just above the cut. I took today off. Monday I go to the doctor and I am going to ask him about an air cast. Thank you for your very helpful information.

Brigitte S on 5/17/03 at 09:39 (119085)

Thank you Kay. I believe you are right. I don't think I was really following orders properly. The doctor gave me the orders right after surgery when I was still in a stupor. I left the hospital and did not have written instructions. I will be seeing him on Monday. I have been able to walk without crutches in the past two days. It's been 1-1/2 weeks now. But I cant't put any weight on my heel; just on my toes. I began having pain now in my other foot also. Do you ever get over the pain?????

Brigitte

kay on 5/17/03 at 14:07 (119112)

I was off my feet for a long time I can't remember how long, but anyway my surgery was not a sucess and my feet are just awful. Pain all the time. I am trying to rest them right now so I can get some cleaning done. Not sure I'll be able to do all of it today though. I hope yours does better than mine.
Kay