Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF from working at desk

Posted by Kathy L on 5/14/03 at 00:29 (118649)

Five months ago I began to have heel pain in my right foot, and it's grown worse. I don't run. I don't stand at work. For over a decade I've done work at a computer 8 hours a day, at a 20+ year old desk. I'm tall, 5'9', 51, and a woman. I try to do light walking on breaks to keep limber, or keep active at home with various things. To have a comfortable working height at the desk, for years I've raised the chair, which did not have a tilt adjustment. So much of the time, my legs hung off the front of the chair, which was already slightly raised in the front, putting pressure behind my knees. I always felt better or little problems at home. I had never heard of PF. After the doctor told me about PF, he suggested I search the Internet, and I found you. I've had a hard time figuring out what I was doing wrong that led to the problem, until I read 'Desk jobs are highly unnatural... and probably a major cause by way of atrophy', and it finally made sense, and why at home I seemed better (not sitting for 8 hours per day). I also have pain down the back of my upper leg, so my doctor is now sending me to a neurologist. I'm doing your stretching suggestions, wearing foot supports, better shoes... and still not much improvement. Today I told my boss, and he's given me a new adjustable chair. I can tell it takes a lot of pressure off the area of pain in my leg, but after hours, I still have the same level of pain. Should I continue to work at my desk where I sit? I'd appreciate suggestions. Thanks a million.

Re: PF from working at desk

carmen h on 5/15/03 at 09:24 (118822)

I am not a doc but if you are sitting at a desk for most of your day....you should be getting 10 minutes of rest from sitting...walk around a bit.

carmen h on 5/15/03 at 14:36 (118872)

I meant 10 minutes every hour....

Kathy L on 5/20/03 at 23:36 (119461)

Thank you Carmen. I'm staying away from a desk as much as I can. Yesterday my doctor gave me VIOXX to take daily for 5 days, and in one day, 95% of the pain is gone (probably masked). We'll see what it's like in a week...