Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birthday

Posted by Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 08:35 (118660)

Today is my sister's birthday. She would have been 47. In 10 days we'll be making a trip to Washington state to pick up the things that she left to us... so I probably won't be posting during that time.

Sorry to be posting such a gloomy thread.

Sharon
:(

Re: Birthday

Kathy G on 5/14/03 at 09:21 (118669)

Sharon,

There is little I can say to comfort you but I do want you to know that I'll be thinking of you today. My late father, who died ten years ago last month and whom I think of nearly everyday, always indicated on his calendar the birthdays of loved ones who had passed away. He told me that people should be remembered on the date of their births, not the date of their deaths. My son is getting married on my father's 89th birthday!

May you be comforted thinking of the good times you had with your sister.

Suzanne D on 5/14/03 at 09:32 (118670)

Sharon, today was my grandma's birthday. She is the one I wrote about who was buried on her birthday which was Mother's Day that year and also my college graduation. I went to her funeral instead of walking the line.

What was your sister's name? Sometimes, even if I never knew the person, I like to know their name when I am thinking of them or their loved ones who are missing them.

I'll keep you in my mind and heart today, Sharon.

Suzanne :)

marie on 5/14/03 at 10:18 (118677)

Sharon,

My heart goes out to you. I will be thinking of you today. Your sister will always be present in your heart.

marie

Bev on 5/14/03 at 10:43 (118684)

Sharon,
My thoughts are with you. It is a hard day to get through for you. I have only one sibling, my sister whom we are going to travel south to go spend a week with the same time that you will be traveling north . My sister has COPD so I worry about her health a lot and I charish every time we get to go visit her.We will sit around the pool and drink coffee and just relax and gab.
We have a lovely day here today. I took all my dried flower arrangements outside and cleaned them with special spray ,I do little projects and sit here in between to rest.
We have '37' years together today ,wow - can't believe hubby put up with me this long :D
Is your school going to be out the end of the month so your children will be going with you to Washington? It will be a long drive, will you be able to do it with your sore hands and feet? (you mentioned your hubby had bad eyes). Will you have help with the driving? Sorry, I sound like a worried mother now, don't I ? We just can't help ourselves, can we :D
You have a nice afternoon :)

Necee on 5/14/03 at 11:57 (118697)

My thoughts and prayers go out to you Sharon. I've lost many loved ones in my life, and it's never easy. You just have to go forward and think about all the good times. Don't hesitate to lean on family and friends when you are feeling down, their support and love will sustain you.
My parents both died a year apart, I was still dealing with the grief of loosing my sweet mom when my dad died, so I understand completely what you are going through, hang in there friend and keep smiling.

Happy trails....

Necee

JudyS on 5/14/03 at 12:00 (118699)

Sharon - today is my high-school best friend's birthday. We've been out of touch way too much so, thanks to your thoughts about your sister, I will be calling my friend immediately.

I mentioned before that my sister is more dear to me than I can say so I'll sure be thinking of you when you go to Wash.

Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 12:55 (118706)

Kathy,

What a lovely idea, to continue to acknowledge the birthdays of loved ones who are gone. I know that I would never acknowledge death days -- perhaps death is a time for celebration for those who have passed on, but it certainly is not for those of us who are left behind and missing them.

Sharon

Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 12:57 (118707)

Suzanne,

What a coincidence, that your grandma was born on the same day as Irene!

I know what it is like, when a holiday celebration is mixed with the sadness of loss.

Sharon

Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 12:58 (118708)

Marie

Thank you.

Sharon

Suzanne D on 5/14/03 at 13:13 (118711)

Yes, Sharon, I will remember Irene when I think of my grandma. Her name was Allene, so it will be easy to remember your sister's name as they sound very much alike!

Suzanne :)

Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 13:14 (118712)

Bev,

You are very sweet, as always. I appreciate your kindness and consideration of others.

Something else I appreciate is the fact that you 'keep track' of people.
I don't know how you do it, taking Neurontin! -- but you're right that I will have trouble driving the whole way by myself with my husband having being unable to drive and myself having problems with both my hands and my feet. My feet do get sore, after I've been sitting in the same position for a while, and the foot that's on the gas pedal tends to cramp up sometimes. But my hands are actually more of a problem. After I've been driving for half an hour or so, my hands have started burning, and about 90 minutes after that, I have to get off the road and do something else for a while because my hands become too numb for safety. I don't think it would be smart to continue driving when I can't really feel my hands on the steering wheel...

We've allotted lots of extra time, though, for driving -- most days we'll only be going about 300 miles. And I will do it because I HAVE to. One good thing about it is, this will really put my feet and hands to the test -- I've been AVOIDING the things that cause pain and/or setbacks for so long now, that I'm really not sure what I AM capable of. Now, I'll find out.

One daughter, Gwendy, will be travelling with us; she doesn't know how to drive a stickshift car, though. Only one of our girls is still living at home; she won't be finished with school yet, but Linda, the one who's graduating from college this Saturday, will come and stay with her while we're gone.

Gwendy, the daughter who's going with us is the artist of the family -- she's studying studio art. Irene was also an artist, and she left all of her art supplies to Gwendy. They were very close, and she wanted to come along on this trip.

There I go, rambling on again! Sorry to get carried away.

You have a great day, and enjoy the beautiful weather!

Sharon

Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 13:15 (118713)

Allene -- what a beautiful name!

Sharon

Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 13:18 (118714)

Necee,

Thanks for your kind words. Grieving is never easy, and I am not looking forward to being in her house, without her there. But I will 'keep on keepin' on,' -- when it comes right down to it, that's all I know to do.

Sharon

Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 13:19 (118715)

Judy,

How wonderful, that Irene's birthday made you think of your dear friend! It just goes to show, if you look for it there is always a silver lining.

Sharon