Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To ice or not to ice?

Posted by HunterB on 5/14/03 at 12:44 (118705)

I read conflicting things on putting your feet in an ice cold foot bath or applying an ice pack for TSS. Do it and don't do it because the tibial nerve is close to the skin and the cold temperature may damage it. Any comments?

Re: To ice or not to ice?

Kathie O on 5/14/03 at 13:09 (118710)

I have been through all of this for a long time and I have found that personally it works better for me to ice my ankles, but only for about 20 minutes at a time. Any longer than that can cause nerve damage. If I try putting my feet in a cold bath, my toes cramp up. I guess everyone just has to do what works for them. My philosphy has basically become to try and see if it works for me.

Sharon W on 5/14/03 at 13:23 (118716)

You are right on about the max of 20 minutes. But I would add, to protect against damage to delicate tissues it's also important to put some kind of barrier between the ice and your ankle -- a sock is the obvious choice.

Kara G. on 5/17/03 at 18:20 (119133)

I am currently in physical therapy where I was told to ice my foot for 15 minutes, twice a day. It was working fine for a few days, but then problems started. Almost 2 hours after I had taken the ice off, my foot would still be cold, almost freezing. So my pt has told me to stop icing my foot and we have regressed in my therapy and are taking it very easy. You might want to ask a doctor to find out what you should really do.