Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Multiple foot problems?

Posted by HunterB on 5/14/03 at 12:58 (118709)

Is it possible for refrocale calcaneal bursitis and posterior tibial tendonits to cause symptoms of tarsal tunnel syndrome and interdigital neuroma?

Re: Multiple foot problems?

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/14/03 at 15:10 (118739)

Hunter:

If the posterior tibial tendon is swollen, it can place pressure on the posterior tibial nerve causing symptoms of tarsal tunnel syndrome. Tarsal tunnel syndrome can mimick symptoms of multiple interdigital neuromas at times. Retrocalcaneal bursitis is unrelated to the aforementioned problems.
Ed

HunterB on 5/15/03 at 07:11 (118802)

With TSS, can the intense burning, numbness and pin pricks be felt in other areas of my body? Since yesterday, I am feeling this up and down my entire leg on both sides equally. At times I can feel a less intense burning and pin pricks in my groin area, cheast, arms and fingers. I also have a spot on the back of the inside of both knee that has an intense pain that is localized. At this spot there is a visual sign of swelling and is is extremely tender when touched. I noticed this three monthes ago when I was transferring from the camboots and orthosis to the orthosis and shoes. It is the spot where the top of the boot hit the inside of my calf where it meets the knee. I have been completely non-weight bearing since March 7 except for occassionally for no more than 5 minute intervals with long periods in between. Except 2 days ago, I was up and down more than I had been. When I was weight bearing, I was in my UCBL's and New Balance tennis shoes. Could my orthotics be causing this? Could the camboots have irritated the spot just below my knees? Do you know what nerves are being impinged and how I can fix this? I'm getting really frustrated. I am seeing my orthotist tommorrow, but I am doubting his ability. Shouldn't the orthotics be making things better? Symptoms seem to be multiplying and getting worse. Please help!

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/15/03 at 23:37 (118937)

Hunter:
TTS will not cause numbness and pin pricks anywhere but the sole of the foot. Have you had a nerve conduction velocity test? Have you seen a neurologist?

We generally use UCBL's for children but rarely for adults. Why was a UCBL prescribed for you? The part of the UCBL on the inside of the heel and arch can irritate the post. tib. nerve and cause TTS-like symptoms -- pain and tingling in the sole but not elsewhere in the body.
Ed